JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is YOUR definition of "mass shooting".

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It doesn't matter how you or I or anyone else define this term. What does matter is how the media defines it. The same is true for Arsenal and Assault Weapon and even "DB Cooper" - NONE of these things exists anywhere except in the narrow minds of the "If IT Bleeds, It Leads" crowd.

Agreed on all but the "it doesn't matter" part. That's because I'm so narcissistic as to actually place value on my own opinion. How the media defines it does not matter to me one whit. Media lies and distorts no matter what. But how the alphabet agencies and the profs doing the "studies" define it IMO is the critical point. That can actually be used to refute media.

Broad term. How many constitutes a motorcycle club and when is it classified as a biker gang? Define collectible car. What's a slut?

I may not be able to tell the diff between a motorcycle club and a biker gang, but I know my ex-wife when I see her. :p

Family of 4= mass murder whether by knife, club, fire, car "accident", gun, poison...

Vegas= more than 4 random victims, unknown to the shooter = mass shooting.
Then, If/when a political/social motive is proven it becomes an act of terrorism, same as if he planted bombs or crashed a helicopter into the crowd.
I agree the definitions are murky but I agree with Albin25's definition of mass shooting. I'll add that it seems like these shooters motives are to take out their anger on society as a whole (rather than a political motive or personal vendetta like murder). We need to be able to distinguish the different motives of the attack otherwise we'd have to say a military operation is a mass shooting...

maybe its like the Kleenex vs Tissue thing, all Kleenex's are tissues but not all tissues are Kleenex's. How about a band-aid, which is really just a bandage, but not all bandages are band-aids.

I actually think the definition of 'mass murder' is more difficult, what if the mass murderer only uses a gun? And what if his motive is only certain people he knows?

even Wikipedia is confused: Mass shooting - Wikipedia

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR