JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
NcStar is definitely "Low End". One doesn't have to break the bank though to get a good scope. One line of imported scopes that is both inexpensive and yet performs well is the Barska line. I have two of their scopes with a total of $400 invested in them. They both are great for the money with none of the issues many have experienced with the NcStar's.

I have some Barska binocs and a scope.. they are great quality for the money

I just bought a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn 4-16x40mm scope for $85 on sale at Bi-Mart. It is made in China. I put it on my .17HMR. Thus far I am happy with it. It does have a lifetime warranty through Bushnell. I suppose time will tell.

I just bought a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn 4-16x40mm scope for $85 on sale at Bi-Mart. It is made in China. I put it on my .17HMR. Thus far I am happy with it. It does have a lifetime warranty through Bushnell. I suppose time will tell.
A cheaper scope as such shouldn't be as prone to mechanical failure on such a low impulse firearm. The only thing that you lose is glass clarity and that may not even matter to some who are plinking with rimfire's. Besides that, the only things to worry about are crosshair tracking and stripping windage and elevation adjustments.

A cheaper scope as such shouldn't be as prone to mechanical failure on such a low impulse firearm. The only thing that you lose is glass clarity and that may not even matter to some who are plinking with rimfire's. Besides that, the only things to worry about are crosshair tracking and stripping windage and elevation adjustments.

'Should' being the magic word.

H

'Should' being the magic word.

H

For some reason Rimfires and air guns seem to be harder on the scope than some of the big "boomers". They're just harder on mounts.

Another note on NcStar, they DO offer some scopes that have real "Tacticool" profiles. For some that's more important than accuracy and performance, especially when out at the pit just "blazing away". Cheaper than buying the real Tactical scopes for just executing watermelons.

I'm still using a Leopold Gold Ring 2x7 from the mid-70's on my .270. Buy once IMHO.

Off-topic but I think some people buy a scope that's too powerful for practical "there he is, shoot him" hunting. I think that may contribute to some disappointment. (Not the breakage etc., but the ability to find and hold target.)

I read an old book one time and a fella said the worse thing he had seen was a expensive rifle with a cheap scope. They are fine on a 10/22 or such, but I dont think they take the shock very well on heavier calibers.

I've had a couple of Barska scopes and think they're pretty durable for the money. The optics aren't fantastic by any means but they're are well built. One of mine was mounted on a .308 Saiga and it was still going strong when I sold the rifle. Stay away from their red dots though. I've gotten a couple of red dots from Primary Arms and have been thrilled with them so you might check out their scopes.

I'd say chicom quality control is hit or miss lol. I've had pretty decent luck but have gotten bad optics with the good ones probably 15-25% of the time. But you can buy a clone or cheap Norinco/NCStar scope for 15-25% of the cost of the originals too.

Other then some of the upper mid to high end stuff, look on your scope and tell me where it was made.......I'm betting you'd be surprised how much of it is made in China, right there at the Norinco factories along with NCStar and Leapers. I am guessing that on the name brand ones they check the quality better, or hoping so. Maybe the ones that fail quality control get repackaged as NCStar LOL.

There are basically two ways to have things made in China. Do like Nike and build your own plant, put in your own quality control, and just benefit from the fewer laws and regulations and the cheaper labor.

Or sub it out and have it made by a Chinese outfit. That's where the QC issues come in. Many US companies put their own QC people right in a factory and get decent results. Clothing with famous names is an example. Most Harley boots are now made in China but I don't see a quality problem. In fact, you can't buy US leather from a Harley dealership any more. Boots, jackets, vests, chaps - all Chinese or Pakistani.

We know the Chinese are capable of making decent things because they make it for their military. If they ever want to be thought of as the Japanese are, they have some work to do. Right after WWII many Japanese items were suspect for quality.

There are basically two ways to have things made in China. Do like Nike and build your own plant, put in your own quality control, and just benefit from the fewer laws and regulations and the cheaper labor.

I believe this is where Osprey Scopes are made. In an American Owned plant in China. They are supposed to be quality scopes although not quite as cheap as NcStar.

I read an old book one time and a fella said the worse thing he had seen was a expensive rifle with a cheap scope. They are fine on a 10/22 or such, but I dont think they take the shock very well on heavier calibers.

So far no problem with 3 out of 4 NC Star scout scopes on my Mosin Nagants. 1 of them was a classic fail, tho

The real issue is that I just can't risk having a scope fail when I need it. If it's just a plinking gun, OK, but for my hunting rifle and SHTF guns, I'd rather have iron sights than a cheap scope.

I bought an NcStar Mark III when I first got my AR. It looked great on the rifle and thats about it. I took it to the range and had it sighted in at 100 yards and actually had a descent grouping. Put the AR back in my case and went home. The next day I took the rifle out to "play" a bit on my property with the wife. Gave her a fully loaded 30 round clip and told her to let it fly (first time she shot a semi auto rifle). After she was done, I noticed that the rheostat knob fell off. Thought... WTF! Called the company and they told me to send it back and they would replace it. So I shipped it back and about 2 weeks later had a new one. Slapped it on the AR, zeroed it in and went to play again. Same thing happened, rheostat know fell off. Called the company again and the customer service rep was dumbfounded on how it could have happened. I sent it back and 2 weeks later got another one. Long story short, in the course of about 5 weeks I went through 2 of their scopes (keep in mind there was a total of 4 weeks in shipping and replacement). Now the one I have just sits in my closet collecting dust. Would I ever get another one.... NOPE! But I will say, their customer service is pretty good, probably because they have to continuously apologize for their products breaking and having to replace them.

I bought an NcStar Mark III when I first got my AR. It looked great on the rifle and thats about it. I took it to the range and had it sighted in at 100 yards and actually had a descent grouping. Put the AR back in my case and went home. The next day I took the rifle out to "play" a bit on my property with the wife. Gave her a fully loaded 30 round clip and told her to let it fly (first time she shot a semi auto rifle). After she was done, I noticed that the rheostat knob fell off. Thought... WTF! Called the company and they told me to send it back and they would replace it. So I shipped it back and about 2 weeks later had a new one. Slapped it on the AR, zeroed it in and went to play again. Same thing happened, rheostat know fell off. Called the company again and the customer service rep was dumbfounded on how it could have happened. I sent it back and 2 weeks later got another one. Long story short, in the course of about 5 weeks I went through 2 of their scopes (keep in mind there was a total of 4 weeks in shipping and replacement). Now the one I have just sits in my closet collecting dust. Would I ever get another one.... NOPE! But I will say, their customer service is pretty good, probably because they have to continuously apologize for their products breaking and having to replace them.

That's one of the major downsides to inexpensive scopes (or anything else for that matter). They just don't take the time necessary to take care of the detail work.

When you send one of these in for "Warranty" they dont' bother to repair, you usually just get one off the shelf that most likely has the same problem.

When I buy something inexpensive like this I usually check out all the problem areas I can anticipate. I ASSUME that no Lock-Tite has been used on ANYTHING so I go ahead and add some where I feel it's necessary.

You'll usually find out what the weak spots are by reading the "Reviews" on the larger sites that sell NcStat like Opticsplanet.com.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top