Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How Cheap is NcStar and Leaper Scopes?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by wabbithunter, Jan 16, 2012.

1. wabbithunter

wabbithunter PDX Member

HI all, before I go any further; "You get what you pay for".... I know
    But really how good or bad how are the NcStar and Leapers Scopes? On AR/AK platforms
    You're experiences/stories?
    :confused:
    Thanks all

Wabbit

2. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

They suck. Headache inducing levels of distortion and clarity is like looking through a aquarium that needs to be cleaned. Durability also leaves much to be desired.

The only sub-$100 optic I've seen that's halfway good are the Primary Arms units.

http://www.primaryarms.com/

H

3. Aero Denezol

Aero Denezol Salem Active Member

I used to have a Leapers on my AR, it was $65 I think.. 4x32. The crosshairs were too thick to hit anything precisely at 100 yards, hardly better than iron sights really.. It was deadly accurate at 50 yards though, and with a little blue loctite held zero just fine. Ultimately I couldn't stand the add'l weight and I decided to scrap it. I do miss the lit reticle, it gave me some (limited) night fighting ability.

4. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

It's been said a gazillion times: on optics, you get what you pay for.

5. wabbithunter

wabbithunter PDX Member

so what you all are saying is: DUCK tape onto my shotgun and only use it for the GREAT ZOMBIE attack......
    That if where to have one... or two of the scopes......
    :funnypoint::banghead::pound::violinist::deadhorse:

6. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

The fixed power scopes are ok. I got a free 12x50 a while back. makes a better anchor than scope. My 4x32 has held up to 2 years on my M44 though.

7. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

I've actually been pleasantly surprised by NcStar. I have several of their scopes for my AR's. For the price they aren't as bad as everyone thinks. Would I choose one for a "my life depends on it" application, no way. But for killing watermelons, cantelope, or other attacking produce, they're not bad. If you screw one of them up it's not nearly as heartbreaking as if you did likewise to your "Big Bucks" scope.

I agree that he fixed power scopes are better than the vary-X. Their variables have a nasty habit of changing poa very noticeably when moved.

8. DinhRose

DinhRose Austin, Texas (Ex-Pat of SE PDX) Active Member

I had eye surgery in April which basically left my vision impaired so I couldn't use my eotech anymore. I decided to throw a ncstar mark 3 scope. I guess these were designed for the 5.56/.223 round because it has been great thus far. Holds the zero and well built. Not the greatest eye relief as you can expect but it's great little scope for the ar15

9. sandman1212

sandman1212 NW Oregon Active Member

I have had a couple, one on my Crossman 760 pumpmaster and the other on my Airsoft AR 15. Fantastic for both applications, the one on the Crossman helps me see as far as my imagination can see and the one on the Airsoft is a tack driver at 15 feet.

Seriously though, they are a PITA! constant moving retical on the red dots and scopes, and I was using them on a .22. I am not a fan.

10. dmancornell

dmancornell Portland, OR New Member

Before I knew better, I put a fixed power Ncstar on a 10/22. The rifle slipped off the sandbag and fell on its side and the scope lost zero. Then the red dot on a Beretta Neos which was 2 inches left at 50 feet with the windage cranked all the way.

Don't touch that crap.

11. 8ball29

8ball29 Oregon Coast Member

How cheap are they?...Really fu©kin' cheap. If you really want to skimp out, at least buy a Redfield or Bushnell scope...hell even a Weaver.

Leaper and NcStar scopes have horrible windage and elevation adjustments and the cross-hairs don't track true. They also usually don't retain their zero even with the lightest recoil rifles. How will you improve your shooting fundamentals when your not able replicate your results? Another point, these scopes usually adjust in 1/2 or 1 MOA...I prefer 1/4 MOA at least, because it allows more refined adjustment so you can more efficiently zero your rifle.

So my question to you is "Why Skimp Out?" You gain absolutely nothing buy buying a cheap scope. You will end up replacing the thing later anyways so why not get something that is of decent quality. "Buy once, Cry once."

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Rix

Rix Tacoma Active Member

My mini killed an nc star 3-9 in under a hundred rounds. Eye piece glass retainer doohickie fell out. Rear glass is now loose. Won't hold zero.
    Another cheap and small 3-9 I bought won't focus over 6 power.
    I do have a cheap NIKON buckmaster iirc that actually worked really well. Held zero, decent glass, good light gathering, passed the 4 corner test.
    But its shiny. On an ar. Couldn't take it.
    I have 2 redfields that I kinda now consider the minimum in scope quality.

13. Mutt

Mutt Washington, Kitsap County Member

If you really want to buy a cheap scope. You'd be better off buying a Centerpoint from walmart for 70 bucks.

deadshot2 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. fry

fry pacific north west Active Member

McScope doth sucketh and the other company couldnt even spell leper.

if you want a cheap scope that doesnt suck, Mueller is a good scope.

OregonG20 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. fry

fry pacific north west Active Member

also the pentax game seeker isnt a bad cheap chi neez hunting scope for under a hundred. think i paid 70 for a 3x9.

the Mueller was a 8.5-25x44 with 1/8" moa clicks and thinking it was 150.oo

16. deadshot2

Definitely so. Only issue with mine is that the reticle is so wide it looks as if the manufacturer drew it in with a "Sharpie". That aside it holds up well on top of my 30-06 and I don't use light loads in it. Recoil is enough on that rifle to make one give up after a dozen rounds at the range. The scope doesn't seem to mind it at all and is more than adequate for 300 yards or so.

17. ripcity

ripcity Milwaukie Active Member

Off topic a bit, but I do have a ncstar tactical light and it seems good, but far different from an optic. I only need it for hunting mice in the middle of the night while hunting. Pretty fun!!! Personally I would never go cheap on a optic.

18. deadshot2

NcStar is definitely "Low End". One doesn't have to break the bank though to get a good scope. One line of imported scopes that is both inexpensive and yet performs well is the Barska line. I have two of their scopes with a total of $400 invested in them. They both are great for the money with none of the issues many have experienced with the NcStar's.

19. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

Only a rich man can afford a cheap optic....
    After buying a new budget NcStar/Leepers scope each time it fails you, you could have had a good quality Leupold etc... that will last you a lifetime.

Buying a cheap scope is kinda like buying a lottery ticket, it could work out pretty good, but we all should know better...

20. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I have a few LER NCStar scopes on M91 rifles and they do fine, but I have two that were junk, too. Hit and miss. I should add that these are just fun shooters and last ditch guns to issue out in an emergency, I would never put one on a serious combat weapon