JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looking to pick up my first AK platform rifle. I've heard a ton of horror stories, and examined some of the rivet dimpling first hand. While I don't necessarily plan on buying either brand, how do they compare to a PSA AK? I plan on putting money aside for a month or so first, so I don't have to go mega cheap. Any recommendations for a reasonable and reliable ak platform rifle?

I.O. AK . I had a polish I.O AK IT fell apart before 100 rounds. pins fell out the malfunctioning trigger group the hammer spring was binding up. chrome lining was flying out the end of the barrel . . And that's just part of it. .

There is more than enough evidence on the internet to make you stay away from an IO AK. Buyer beware, combloc AKs only and with the good old proven Wasr 10 being able to be had for 600 new, and 500 used there is no reason to waste your money on a cheaply build IO and risk having the issues these are known for.

Though with a new WASR-10, or a used WASR-10 that still has the same wood CAI uses for 922r purposes, do yourself a favor and find better furniture.

Now an older wasr 10/63 with military wood doesn't need replacement furniture.

I traded into an IO for something, I forget what it was. Was my first and only AK platform. Before I took it out, took it apart, cleaned it, oiled it up. After 30 rounds, it began to jam after every 10 rounds. Finally the thing jammed so bad that I had to take it apart. Cleaned it up and traded it for something else. Did not really like the platform, maybe I just had a dud, but I won't be going back to an AK platform anytime soon.

I traded into an IO for something, I forget what it was. Was my first and only AK platform. Before I took it out, took it apart, cleaned it, oiled it up. After 30 rounds, it began to jam after every 10 rounds. Finally the thing jammed so bad that I had to take it apart. Cleaned it up and traded it for something else. Did not really like the platform, maybe I just had a dud, but I won't be going back to an AK platform anytime soon.
To be polite, you're blaming the issues of the I.O on the AK rifle. An imported AK would not have these issues. Yes, even the Egyptian maadi, which isn't known for quality, is substantially better than I.O.

If you stuck to an imported AK like a wasr, or an arsenal if you want to spend more, you would not be sitting here blaming the AK rifle for issues I.O makes. How many times do I need to say in this thread that I.O sucks?

It was because it was I O . Decent AKs dont' jam

My wasr 10/63. Had absolutely no issues at all. The only problem I have is its becoming the only rifle I shoot now. Really, for a budget AK there is absolutely no reason at all to consider anything other than a wasr. The only American AKs I can see being decent are PSA (if you buy a whole rifle with billet trunnions instead of cast) or the Riley Defense AKs. Even then, the wasr comes with a CHF chrome lined barrel, which neither PSA or Riley Defense has.
img_3009-jpg.jpg

To be polite, you're blaming the issues of the I.O on the AK rifle. An imported AK would not have these issues. Yes, even the Egyptian maadi, which isn't known for quality, is substantially better than I.O.

If you stuck to an imported AK like a wasr, or an arsenal if you want to spend more, you would not be sitting here blaming the AK rifle for issues I.O makes. How many times do I need to say in this thread that I.O sucks?
If I O imported something it' ok . They kepted there grubb hands of it

The only American AKs I can see being decent are PSA (if you buy a whole rifle with billet trunnions instead of cast) or the Riley Defense AKs. Even then, the wasr comes with a CHF chrome lined barrel, which neither PSA or Riley Defense has.
View attachment 411865
I've been looking at the Riley Defense wood model, does anyone have experience with those? I would like to get something as close to AKM spec as possible; wood stock, bakelite pistol grip, and slant muzzle brake. I like the red/orange finish on the Riley, the only other thing I've seen that has the features I want is the Polish WBP, but the price is almost double and the wood finish is very dark.

Riley Defense: AK47 Rifle Riley Defense SALE
Polish WBP: Atlantic Polish WBP Rifle

Now really isn't the time for buying, it will likely be early next year when I have the funds set aside. Last year's tax rebate addition was the Arsenal SLR-104FR AK74-pattern rifle, I'd like to get it a 7.62x39mm buddy to go with it and my Norinco SKS.

I've been looking at the Riley Defense wood model, does anyone have experience with those? I would like to get something as close to AKM spec as possible; wood stock, bakelite pistol grip, and slant muzzle brake. I like the red/orange finish on the Riley, the only other thing I've seen that has the features I want is the Polish WBP, but the price is almost double and the wood finish is very dark.

Riley Defense: AK47 Rifle Riley Defense SALE
Polish WBP: Atlantic Polish WBP Rifle

Now really isn't the time for buying, it will likely be early next year when I have the funds set aside. Last year's tax rebate addition was the Arsenal SLR-104FR AK74-pattern rifle, I'd like to get it a 7.62x39mm buddy to go with it and my Norinco SKS.
Dollar for dollar the WBP is better.

But even a wasr will be better. Just get the one with slant brake and bayonet lug, then replace the furniture. Romanian bakelite grips are cheap, and Romanian wood can be had pretty cheap as well.

To be polite, I am blaming an AK platform for performing on a sub par level. But this thread started by asking about IO and if it was bad. It is. Absolutely. And I shared my experience.
There are other things that I don't like about the AK platform that I did not discuss because that was not part of the question. I did not like the location of the rear sight, too far forward for me. That is just a start of the list.
That said, I know that most AK's are good and reliable, I just don't want one because it does not fit me well.

Your post came off as blaming the AK for jamming when it was the I.O. Anything else is irrelevant to that post. Its one thing to not like features of an AK, its another to blame subpar performance (such as jamming) on the AK when it was the I.O.

Just a side fyi: The rear sight could be changed for something else. The AK does actually have market support now. Not that I recommend any of it, but options exist.
tsak-4.jpg

I just bought a PSA AK 762x39 AR upper complete with BCG charging handle 249.99 delivered to my door because I like the AR platform ,it looks better and I have had not one Problem runs like any other quality 762x39 I own and I look good shooting it LOL

If we're gonna take the attention away from I.O... Only gun that isn't a SKS or AK that I'd want in 7.62x39.

All Steyr would need to do is make the conversion kit and I'm good to go. :rolleyes:
12783332_577580615740186_1056493020_n.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads