JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to pick up my first AK platform rifle. I've heard a ton of horror stories, and examined some of the rivet dimpling first hand. While I don't necessarily plan on buying either brand, how do they compare to a PSA AK? I plan on putting money aside for a month or so first, so I don't have to go mega cheap. Any recommendations for a reasonable and reliable ak platform rifle?

I haven't shot a PSA AK but, I've inspected one recently. I've owned a few different kinds of AK's, and I think the PSA on sale at $499 is more than fair. I think the AK Operators Union (YouTube) gave them a positive review as well.

FWIW, most of the Century AK's have gone up in price significantly. Those used to be the "entry-level" models, but no longer

I was recently quoted an N-PAP for $450, I think if I was in the market for another AK that's what I'd get.

That's a great question! Ak Operator's Union YouTube channel, pretty much convinced me to not pick one up. But I have never handled one or shot one. Would love to hear from somebody who has owned one and put some time in at range with it. :)

That's a great question! Ak Operator's Union YouTube channel, pretty much convinced me to not pick one up.

Rob did reviews at different points in time, the early reviews (1000+ rounds) were still very good. I'm not sure at what point it started to break down, but those guys abuse the hell out of those rifles. Personally I've never seen anyone treating a gun that way at the range.

I think a good question to ask is how often you plan to shoot, and what kind of shooting you want to do.

IMHO buy an AR and call it a day! ;)
Oh, I plan on both to start. I'm at the range or outdoor shooting relatively often, and would want them for that kind of use as well as making sure they were reliable and easily repaired in a shtf scenario. The receiver on the io worries me, a big rubber cushion isn't hard to replace now, but who knows?

i built one of the palmetto AK's from their barreled receiver kits then the "assembly" kits that had all the furniture and lower parts kit type items. it went together very well and shoots great. mind you i have zero experience with an AK before this rifle, but i am very pleased

Oh, I plan on both to start. I'm at the range or outdoor shooting relatively often, and would want them for that kind of use as well as making sure they were reliable and easily repaired in a shtf scenario. The receiver on the io worries me, a big rubber cushion isn't hard to replace now, but who knows?

IMO....go this route then... :) .....get put on the update when in stock list and wait for Black Friday. Prob one of the cheaper entries into both out there.

PSA 16" Midlength MOE Freedom Rifle & Blem PSAK-47 GB2 "MOEkov" Rifle

I had one and never shot it. But I sold it to a member here and he unfortunately had issues with it running reliably. I felt bad and made a gesture to make it right by him.

From what I've seen, I'd go with another brand.

titsonritz, agree....with the first gen PSA-10, it seems that was def. hit or miss.....possibly the same with the AK variants.......however I think it's easy to rip apart ANY firearm....but for a first introduction (not operator status) I dont know why not to pick up a package deal under $8-900 for a AR & AK....fix whatcha want and upgrade as needed

I recently ended up with an IO AK that use to belong to a buddy, and a former co worker before him. Things probably had several thousand rounds through it and it still functions and groups ok at best. I've had a handful of feeding issues with it out of ak pmags. I've only personally put about 300 rounds through it so I couldn't give an opinion yet.

This being said its a pretty early IO rifle from everything I can tell about it. Who knows how the newer ones are, I've heard nothing but horror stories. The PSA is probably a better bet. I think about selling mine to fund a PSA pretty regularly.

Thanks for all your input. Another brand I'm curious about is bca, classic firearms has a deal on each of their ar platform rifles, chambered in .556 and 7.62, and I could grab one of each of those for around a grand.
I'm still curious as to whether or not anyone has any suggestions (@Aero Denezol I'll look at the availability of the Yugo npap nearby), so that I can skip some of the learning experiences that come with cheap rifles.

Thanks for all your input. Another brand I'm curious about is bca, classic firearms has a deal on each of their ar platform rifles, chambered in .556 and 7.62, and I could grab one of each of those for around a grand.
I'm still curious as to whether or not anyone has any suggestions (@Aero Denezol I'll look at the availability of the Yugo npap nearby), so that I can skip some of the learning experiences that come with cheap rifles.
Suggestions as to reliable mid range ak platform rifles. Forgot part of that sentence

When I decided I needed an AK 47 I figured I wanted smothering "Original". o_O After all, why would I want an AK 47 that was manufactured in the US? The US makes ARs, I wanted an AK47! I didn't know nuthin' really. I went through Atlantic Firearms and got an AK made from an "Original Polish parts kit with just enough US parts to make it legal". It's been flawless. I got original surplus mags through Atlantic also....."For that authentic look" and all. I see now that Atlantic doesn't have any such thing anymore. I guess I got lucky! I ended up paying a little over $700.00.

Suggestions as to reliable mid range ak platform rifles. Forgot part of that sentence
If you are up for a couple minor conversions, the Vepr is a cool platform to get a very solid ak out of. Mine is awesome. After all conversions, I probably spent 1k on it.

I'm just going to throw this out there, I did the bullet guide, the magazine catch mod, the alg trigger, the foregrip and grip and bonesteel folding stock. In other

The bullet guide and slight filing of the magazine catch allow the use of standard ak mods, and take very little time. The ALG trigger is very good IMO. You end up with a Russian made AK that I would pit against pretty much any semi-auto ak.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top