JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a suggestion thread. If you like the idea, use the up arrow to the right of the first post to upvote. Suggestions with more votes get higher priority.
We have a decent number of threads on the topic already. How about a section devoted to all things fitness; exercise, diet, supplements, training regimens, equipment, competition/hunting fitness, the all important mental game, et al.? If not standalone, it could be a subsection of Education & Training or Preparedness.

Anywho, just a thought. :s0155:

I can do pushups, plenty of pullups but don't you DARE ask me to sprint for two whole laps. I ain't got the gas tank anymore.
like most things, it just takes the will to do it, dedication, and consistency.

I'm not much of a runner, but when the gyms closed up during the lockdown I started running in the mornings daily. I started around the block or so and by the time my gym opened back up I was running 2 miles at a good pace.

I'd rather do the 880 sprint over a 3 mile run. Although I'm definitely not as fast as I used to be.

like most things, it just takes the will to do it, dedication, and consistency.

I'm not much of a runner, but when the gyms closed up during the lockdown I started running in the mornings daily. I started around the block or so and by the time my gym opened back up I was running 2 miles at a good pace.
I can manage an 8 minute mile for about 5 miles. I just can't hold a dead sprint for half a mile. Or at least, I haven't tried to since high school and that was quite a while ago

I mean, it IS over faster to do the sprint so that's a plus...
We had 2 different physical fitness tests in the Marines. The PFT and CFT.

The CFT was a complete gut check (ammo can press, "obstacle" course and a 880 sprint in boots) but was over quickly. The PFT was a 3 mile run, pulls ups and crunches and took forever.

I'll take the gut check/puking any day. lol.

I was never an athletic individual and I don't have those awesome genetics some dudes do. But it set in concrete the importance of physical fitness.

It's amazing how long it takes to achieve a level desired and how fast it's lost the minute you let things slide.

I am sharing my experiences with fitness. Since retiring two years ago. Signing up for a Medicare Advantage plan, I noticed that most offer fitness programs, so I inquired about it and they will pay for gym membership for no cost. So, I signed up. Now, I go to the gym 5 to 6 days per week either walking, strength training, biking, and cardio. What Is nice is using wet facilities like swimming or using the hot tub, steam room, or sauna. I joined three major gyms, 24 Hour, LA Fitness, and Planet Fitness all for no cost. I've been paying gym membership fees for many years until now. What a deal. It's so great that I can go to these gyms when I travel to different cities.

I have since lost 20 lbs and held it down for 2 years. The doctor said I was doing very well and told me that most retired people were the opposite of me. Most would gain weight, become lazier, and do fewer activities which leads to health problems.

What's sad is I don't see a lot of seniors working out or taking advantage of these free fitness programs. When I do see many seniors, it's mostly men.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews