JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I also use Hornady dies for .45 Auto. I set the seating/crimping die to no crimp and seating only, and use the Lee Taper Crimp Die as the next step. Much more consistent and when I am reloading lead, none of it gets shaved.

As a rifle shooter, you should know about head space. By trimming your .45 cases, you have increased head space. Increased head space has never improved accuracy and those who shoot .45 for accuracy do not trim cases, ever.
"Crimp" should be 0.4730-0.4728".
Your pulled bullets--any have crimp rings on them, indicating that you are over crimping?
In your first picture, you are just a little too long. The round needs either a little shorter COL or you need to determine where the hang-up is.
This is my standard post for these issues (I hope it helps):

Per Ramshot:

"SPECIAL NOTE ON CARTRIDGE OVERALL LENGTH "COL"

It is important to note that the SAAMI "COL" values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must be seen as a guideline only.

The individual reloader is free to adjust this dimension to suit their particular firearm-component-weapon combination.

This parameter is determined by various dimensions such as

1) magazine length (space),

2) freebore-lead dimensions of

the barrel,

3) ogive or profile of the projectile and

4) position of cannelure or crimp groove.

• Always begin loading at the minimum "Start Load".

• Increase in 2% increments towards the Maximum Load.

• Watch for signs of excessive pressure.

• Never exceed the Maximum Load."

Your COL (OAL) is determined by your barrel (chamber and throat dimensions) and your gun (feed ramp) and your magazine (COL that fits magazine and when the magazine lips release the round for feeding) and the PARTICULAR bullet you are using. What worked in a pressure barrel or the lab's gun or in my gun has very little to do with what will work best in your gun.

Take the barrel out of the gun. Create two inert dummy rounds (no powder or primer) at max COL and remove enough case mouth flare for rounds to chamber (you can achieve this by using a sized case—expand-and-flare it, and remove the flare just until the case "plunks" in the barrel).

Drop the inert rounds in and decrease the COL until they chamber completely. This will be your "max" effective COL. I prefer to have the case head flush with the barrel hood. After this, place the inert rounds in the magazine and be sure they fit the magazine and feed and chamber.

You can also do this for any chambering problems you have. Remove the barrel and drop rounds in until you find one that won't chamber. Take that round and "paint" the bullet and case black with Magic Marker or other marker. Drop round in barrel (or gage) and rotate it back-and-forth.

Remove and inspect the round:

1) scratches on bullet--COL is too long

2) scratches on edge of the case mouth--insufficient crimp

3) scratches just below the case mouth--too much crimp, you're crushing the case

4) scratches on case at base of bullet--bullet seated crooked due to insufficient case expansion (not case mouth flare) or improper seating stem fit

5) scratches on case just above extractor groove--case bulge not removed during sizing. May need a bulge buster.

thanks for the input, after i bought a separate crimp die, it seems to have fixed the problem, waiting for the local range to open up again, (was closed to do a fire / & continuing fire danger. ) but i checked every round with the barrel, and they are sliding in easy and flush of a few thous less than the barrel hood. have yet to test fire and assure speeds, and no cycling issues, but i think i fixed my problem by not trying to seat/ and crimp at the same time. I like the painted dummy round idea a lot im going to try that one.

Not exactly related to your problem but related to OAL, some bullet/gun combos can be very picky on OAL. For instance, I just bought a bunch of Xtreme plated 200gr. FP for my XD .45. I have load data with 1.155 and 1.22 OAL and neither feeds properly, longer not reliably and shorter not at all. 1.185-1.2 feed fine though. So don't be afraid to experiment if you have issues.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top