JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There was a machine gun firearms dealer in Hillsboro called "Fairly Honest Don".
He's no longer in business.

Last Edited:
I'd just ask the seller to use meaningful words.
" Honest gun" feels deliberately vague, so I would suspect "Not So Honest Seller"

Wait - are you reading the ad or writing the ad ? Oh wait read more... If some old guy says "That's an honest gun, I assume that the look of the gun and the asking price were, for him, aligned. I wouldn't use it as a seller and I'd be wary reading it in an ad unless there was a ton more detail.

50+ years as a gun guy, never remember hearing or reading the phrase. If I did I totally ignored it. Unfortunately gun condition is highly subjective and often varies dependent on the eyes of the beholder.

If the phrase was being used by R.L. Wilson I'd likely run from the deal.

I have seen it a lot at antique firearm auctions usually used to denote a firearm that has not been messed with . The wear it has or does not have is there naturally. No restoration , or fixing etc.

There is a big push towards preservation versus restoration now. It will only be original once so to speak. I am of similar ilk when it comes to firearms. If it is rare enough and old enough I enjoy it as it is versus monkeying with it or trying to fix observed problems.

When I have heard it it means original condition without replaced parts outside of say, the original period. Or that the gun is an authentic, original mess.

Honest Gun:
Made when men were men, single incomes could support a household and family bonds were intact.

Like a few who have responded...I haven't heard of the phrase "Honest Gun" before.
Honest Wear...but not Honest Gun.

For me ....If I were to sell the rifle pictured below ( Which I ain't gonna do ...:D )
I would say that it has "Honest Wear".
As In :
Some assorted dents and dings from use , but not abuse...
Finish wear....
A good solid working lock...And a decent bore .
All in all a excellent example of a semi-fancy late 1840's - 1850's St. Louis made "Plains Rifle".

I would note to the buyer that the trigger guard is a period replacement...and that I glass bedded the stock.
Andy
DSC06619 (1).jpg

DSC06621 (1).jpg

DSC06622 (1).jpg

DSC06628 (1).jpg

DSC06632 (1).jpg

This one is even more "Honest"...as it has only been cleaned and maintained...
Its my 1873 ( Model 1879 ) "Trapdoor " Springfield Rifle.
Well in the interest in "honesty"...the sling is not correct for the rifle...its a Mauser sling....:eek: :D
Andy
DSC06576.jpg

DSC06580.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR