JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am ready to install a security camera system in my home. Would like to be able to access it on a laptop or on my phone.

There are a ton of system's out there when I look and some with really good reviews for reasonable money. Here in lies the problem that I am looking into. Most of the good ones require they be hard wired which I don't want to do myself. Is this something that is worth paying someone to do or do any of you know of any systems that are wifi capable that are good systems so they don't need to be hard wired?

Even the wireless ones need to be plugged in but that would be easier to a point than running wires through my house and shop.

I am open to any suggestions on what to do. I really need to get something up and running since I can't see my driveway and other blind spots on my property from inside the house. I don't like being blind in the middle of the night where I can't see around my property if I hear something. :confused:

So I am ready to install a security camera system in my home. Would like to be able to access it on a laptop or on my phone.

There are a ton of system's out there when I look and some with really good reviews for reasonable money. Here in lies the problem that I am looking into. Most of the good ones require they be hard wired which I don't want to do myself. Is this something that is worth paying someone to do or do any of you know of any systems that are wifi capable that are good systems so they don't need to be hard wired?

Even the wireless ones need to be plugged in but that would be easier to a point than running wires through my house and shop.

I am open to any suggestions on what to do. I really need to get something up and running since I can't see my driveway and other blind spots on my property from inside the house. I don't like being blind in the middle of the night where I can't see around my property if I hear something. :confused:

I have one now made by Amcrest. records 1080P 8 channels. It is wired. I started with one by Reolink that Wife bought that was wireless. I worked great at first. After months I started having problems. Large area covered and one channel would drop out now and then. Too much range or interference. I tried moving cameras and base all over trying to find the sweet spot. Every time I thought I had it one would screw up now and then. Nothing major, just annoying. Finally gave up when another buddy tried the one I have now. It was $325 delivered from Amazon. Came with enough wire to do the 4 cameras that came with it. Can add up to 4 more. Running the wire is of course some work but when done it's done. Works much better since no problems with interference. Can of course be seen on any PC or smart phone, tablet ect. The wireless is nice if someone rents and can't run wires. You just have to live with the limits of range or use extenders. The one thing I miss about the cheaper one I bought is no sound. It was nice to be able to hear what was going on outside from bed. This one has the ability. I will be ordering a mic that can go out front and wire it in to try. For me these are one of those things that once you have it you don't want to be without. I work nights and it's a godsent when I'm sleeping. Dogs start in I can see from bed if it's a delivery I want to get up for, or someone selling me "god" and I turn over and go back to sleep. At night I can look at the place and see that all is well. Wife can from bed watch the place and see what the dogs are barking at.

IMG_2049.JPG

Whatever ever you get make sure if captures good images in the dark.

This image is from this system

Amazon.com : NIGHT OWL C-841-A10 8 Channel 1080P DVR Security System, 4 HD 1080p Cameras 1 TB HDD (Black DVR/White Cam) : Camera & Photo

View attachment 356164

Whatever ever you get make sure if captures good images in the dark.

Good point. I had forgotten to mention that. So far both of the ones I tried did excellent. IR has come a LONG way like so much tech. The one I have now lights up the whole front and back yards. Even if all lights are turned off it lights up everything. You can watch something as small as a rat walk across the yard at night. Tech is amazingly cheap now.

Arlo.
Available at CostCo.
https://www.costco.com/Arlo-Pro-Sma...Security-Camera-3-pack.product.100340335.html

Battery operated camera's - wireless. Works pretty good. Camera's can mount by magnet or screw mount.

Here is snap of a recent morning video.
We are trying to track some unwanted critters, so we move the cameras around the yard.
Illumination is just the IR.

You control sensitivity, up high and IR will run down battery quickly.
Set lower, for say human size targets, battery will last 6 months.
You can buy non-rechargeable batteries.

upload_2017-4-12_18-38-43.png

Part of my concern is when the wife is home alone. I don't like that she can't see who is in the drive way and walking around the property. I don't live in town but I want her to have eye's if she needs them.

She is half blind :confused::D so a good picture will be critical.

I have 2 sharx security 1080P wifi outdoor cameras. They have built in webpages to view live video and then do motion capture triggers to take pics or record a certain amount of video and either save to a card or send over a network to a storage computer. They have IR night vision which is pretty good. You can access them with various phone apps, so my wife uses it to check who is at the door from her iphone.

Here are the neighborhood raccoons

Timelapse of the snow from this winter:

I dont have any daytime shots handy but it takes very good video and pics of who is at the front door.

Arlo.
Available at CostCo.
https://www.costco.com/Arlo-Pro-Sma...Security-Camera-3-pack.product.100340335.html

Battery operated camera's - wireless. Works pretty good. Camera's can mount by magnet or screw mount.

Here is snap of a recent morning video.
We are trying to track some unwanted critters, so we move the cameras around the yard.
Illumination is just the IR.

You control sensitivity, up high and IR will run down battery quickly.
Set lower, for say human size targets, battery will last 6 months.
You can buy non-rechargeable batteries.

View attachment 356165

So do these have to be plugged in or they run strictly off of battery power?

Since you have to run power out to each camera anyway, you might as well run an all in one POE (Power over Ethernet) CAT 6 cable that will give you 3MP resolution or better. We bought and returned a $800 system from Costco because it kept dropping the connection allowing access over the internet.

Since you have to run power out to each camera anyway, you might as well run an all in one POE (Power over Ethernet) CAT 6 cable that will give you 3MP resolution or better. We bought and returned a $800 system from Costco because it kept dropping the connection allowing access over the internet.

Ya the more I research the more I think I need to go hard wired. The good reviews on the wireless systems are far and few between.

And knowing my luck it would work worse than for anybody else. :confused:

Ya the more I research the more I think I need to go hard wired. The good reviews on the wireless systems are far and few between.

And knowing my luck it would work worse than for anybody else. :confused:

The nice thing about the wired is once you run it you are good. I was MUCH happier when I got the wired. If you go with the POE several of them even have pan tilt and zoom (PTZ). This kind of tech not very long ago was something only VERY wealthy could afford. Now any one can have it. Once you try it you can't imagine being without it.

This... no reason not to run PoE setup. One line and done, no special ends or cords to get.

I have 2 sharx security 1080P wifi outdoor cameras. They have built in webpages to view live video and then do motion capture triggers to take pics or record a certain amount of video and either save to a card or send over a network to a storage computer. They have IR night vision which is pretty good. You can access them with various phone apps, so my wife uses it to check who is at the door from her iphone.

I dont have any daytime shots handy but it takes very good video and pics of who is at the front door.

No way to identify them, they're wearing masks. :D

I would love to get a system like shown at Amazon. The problem, I think, is going to be identifying anyone if need to. Every time someone has video of someone doing bad things you very seldom get a good face shot. Even if you do what are the cops going to do? Granted there may be some security in having "Under Video Surveillance" signs placed all over, or that will bring in the guys with the hoodies even more?

I would love to get a system like shown at Amazon. The problem, I think, is going to be identifying anyone if need to. Every time someone has video of someone doing bad things you very seldom get a good face shot. Even if you do what are the cops going to do? Granted there may be some security in having "Under Video Surveillance" signs placed all over, or that will bring in the guys with the hoodies even more?

I'm not going to advertise the fact that I have one. We have 16 cameras through the warehouse at work and proof in the pudding is when they don't know they are there, the stupidity in them makes them look right into the camera with a shocked look. o_O

To me its more of a visual so I know whats outside with out leaving my house. It makes it easier to put a cap in someones azz if you know where they are. :D

the reason I first installed the camera many years ago because my step daughter at the time was sneaking guys I did not know into the house in the middle of the night. Since I might have shot one of them if I caught him sneaking over the fence I installed the camera and promptly caught him (step daughter did not know the camera records sound as well)

This ended the middle of the night visits. So it accomplished the task.

Night shots are definitely difficult to identify faces. but daytime shots are very good. a few years ago there were some guys going around town claiming they were from the state testing water and then would get into peoples homes and rob them. When I was not home 2 guys came to the home with clip boards and big jugs of dirty water. really weird stuff. I sent the captured shots to the police just in case it was them. The officer commented on how good the photos were.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top