JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have worked physical security in years past.
A few things I learned from that -
Need to haves:
IR
Color

There are places where a pan/tilt/shift makes sense
There are place where a small camera is better - a "face cam" by your door for example.
Where your lighting is does impact the image - does your porch light washout or back light the person?

Software to review your footage is also important. I have used a commercial system where you could highlight a section of the image and have the computer scan for hits.
Example - an image shows a hallway and a door. You don't want all the people coming down the hall, but you do want to know when the door opened.
By now, this is probably available to the public.

Where is the archive stored, on your home system, or off site? I think you need to have the off-site backup.

No way to identify them, they're wearing masks. :D

I would love to get a system like shown at Amazon. The problem, I think, is going to be identifying anyone if need to. Every time someone has video of someone doing bad things you very seldom get a good face shot. Even if you do what are the cops going to do? Granted there may be some security in having "Under Video Surveillance" signs placed all over, or that will bring in the guys with the hoodies even more?

What people need to remember about these systems is they are not a "be all to end all". Kind of like when safes come up. Some will of course put up some video's of how "easy it is to break into one". Does not make me not have a safe. These systems I use for several reasons. 1 is they almost all can be set up as an alarm system. Even the cheap one I bought can be set up to notify me if there is motion. Can set up zones for this so it's not going off for wind. The idea being if someone is moving where you want to know it will tell you. Then you can look and see. There is a lot of examples of late of home break ins caught this way. People in the house have no idea Cops have been called by people who are not even home. 2 they work great when you are home and want to see what's outside without having to go look. 3 mine have already been GREAT a couple times for deliveries. Stealing packages has become a major problem. So of course now days if some package shows delivered and you can't find it that's the first thing they go to. "Are you sure someone did not take it". Twice now I have been able to tell them yes. I know no one took it because I have your driver on tape going right past my house and never stopping here.

I live in a relatively low crime neighborhood - private road, with multiple neighborhood dogs often running loose, on a mountain out in the boonies. So far the only crime I have seen is people dumping trash and pets they don't want.

That said, it would be nice to have a record of who comes up to the house (AFAIK, delivery men mostly, once Jehovah witnesses) when I am not here, but also as notice when I am home because the house is so well insulated I often do not hear a vehicle drive up.

But the main reason would be for knowing what is out there at night. Most of the time it is the neighbor dogs setting off the motion detector lights, but sometimes it is wildlife. Since wildlife up here includes bears and cougars, I want to know what is out there before I step out the door, or better yet, whether I need to go outside at all. I don't care if it is a cougar or raccoon, but if it is a human, then I want to know.

Ring makes a Floodlight cam that looks outstanding. Our motion detector floodlights are getting old, although they did go off last month when some guy opened my 2016 F-150 in the driveway via a remote control that worked on all the newer cars on the block. He crawled into 4 of them and rummaged my daughter said. She was watching this go down at 3am. A camera would have been nice. Ring makes a camera/floodlight combo that looks good.

white-dc13060e0ccac5c553e165b7266b847b.jpg

The neighborhood dot com thing is a great thing as well. I posted that crime on it and lots of other folks had the same thing occur to them by the same guy. The police had enough evidence that the guy didn't show up for court. He'd been arrested the previous month for the same thing. Lots of Ring doorbells getting good shots. The Ring doorbell comes wired or unwired. Protect Your Home With Ring Video Doorbells and Security Products | Ring

I live in a relatively low crime neighborhood - private road, with multiple neighborhood dogs often running loose, on a mountain out in the boonies. So far the only crime I have seen is people dumping trash and pets they don't want.

That said, it would be nice to have a record of who comes up to the house (AFAIK, delivery men mostly, once Jehovah witnesses) when I am not here, but also as notice when I am home because the house is so well insulated I often do not hear a vehicle drive up.

But the main reason would be for knowing what is out there at night. Most of the time it is the neighbor dogs setting off the motion detector lights, but sometimes it is wildlife. Since wildlife up here includes bears and cougars, I want to know what is out there before I step out the door, or better yet, whether I need to go outside at all. I don't care if it is a cougar or raccoon, but if it is a human, then I want to know.

Thats one of the other reason's I would like one. I live far enough out of town that we have coyote's, raccoon's and even have seen bear signs in the yard. Just out of curiosity more than anything when it comes to wildlife I would like to know what is around.

The deer are a given because they eat my wife's roses. I keep telling her I can take care of that but she believes its bad karma to shoot a deer on your own property. :rolleyes:

Even the cheap ones like I bought would be fine for what you want. See's great even in pitch black. As they come they will record for just over 7 days in HD. If you need more you can easily double or triple that with more HD space. You can set any of the camera's to notify you of motion or just look through the recorded feed any time you want. I like having the whole back yard on camera for this. Have Possums, and Coons wander through. Possums never cause trouble but a Raccoon did attack one dog out of the blue one morning years ago. Only reason dog lived was I was right there at the door. first thing I could grab was a mag light. Beat the Raccoon till it let the dog go. So now if I hear them barking out there I can look and see if it's just a cat or if it's something I need to go out there and run off.

Another item to consider is a device that alerts when someone crosses a infrared camera. We have a long driveway, and the family room faces the back of the house. We get a voice that says alert zone 1. It can run 4 zones. Works several miles away from base unit that sits in the house. I love it. It hangs in a tree.

Another item to consider is a device that alerts when someone crosses a infrared camera. We have a long driveway, and the family room faces the back of the house. We get a voice that says alert zone 1. It can run 4 zones. Works several miles away from base unit that sits in the house. I love it. It hangs in a tree.

That sounds interesting can you post a link to the one you have?

Dang I may just have to give it a try. I really have nothing to loose with costco's return policy. If it doesn't work well then I just start over with a wired system. o_O

We got our arlo pro system yesterday from Costco and SHE had it up and recording in 15 minutes. And all the cameras mounted in the next 30 minutes .

LOVE IT!!! Night vision is good and when I hear of other people returning various other systems (hard wire and wireless) and getting the arlo pro model and being happy with it months and one u tube review was a year into using it i was sold.

All systems have pros and cons but it seems this unit is the best selling one out there.

Oh the sounds it picks up are good also. And cannot beat the Camo skin covers when hiding a camera in the bushes.

LOL

We got our arlo pro system yesterday from Costco and SHE had it up and recording in 15 minutes. And all the cameras mounted in the next 30 minutes .

LOVE IT!!! Night vision is good and when I hear of other people returning various other systems (hard wire and wireless) and getting the arlo pro model and being happy with it months and one u tube review was a year into using it i was sold.

All systems have pros and cons but it seems this unit is the best selling one out there.

Oh the sounds it picks up are good also. And cannot beat the Camo skin covers when hiding a camera in the bushes.

LOL

We actually got ours and found install to be really easy as well. There are a few times it doesn't go off when I think it should but for the most part I am really happy. Found the neighbors cat rooting around my wife's flower beds at 2 am and some other local wild life. Love how the clear the picture is and the fact that I can talk to who ever is at my front door if I am not at home. :)

We actually got ours and found install to be really easy as well. There are a few times it doesn't go off when I think it should but for the most part I am really happy. Found the neighbors cat rooting around my wife's flower beds at 2 am and some other local wild life. Love how the clear the picture is and the fact that I can talk to who ever is at my front door if I am not at home. :)

The 2 way communications is great! I was watching a live feed and was able to talk with my gal as she was leaving for work this morning......

I'm such a stalker.
LOL

Placement is key... May wanna angle it to get it to start recording sooner and you can catch things better.

The arlo community site is great to help fine tune your system, lots of answers to a lot of questions for new members. You can Google your question and the site will show up.

Last Edited:
The 2 way communications is great! I was watching a live feed and was able to talk with my gal as she was leaving for work this morning......

I'm such a stalker.
LOL

Placement is key... May wanna angle it to get it to start recording sooner and you can catch things better.

The arlo community site is great to help fine tune your system, lots of answers to a lot of questions for new members. You can Google your question and the site will show up.

Nice thanks for the heads up I will try that:)

I didn't read the whole thread, just the original post.

I have a set of Arlo Pro wireless cameras, I am really impressed with them.

They are not cheap (I have 7 cameras and spent around $1300) and the one shortcoming is you don't have an endless video (it records in 10 second groups based on motion).
They have two way audio that works great, it's amazing what you can hear.

Not only are they wireless and cordless but the cameras are magnetic and can just be stuck securely to any metal object. I have several just stuck to fence posts and house parts.

I have only had them a few months but so far I am very pleased.

These were just now as I came home. Kind of gives you an idea of what the quality is like. It also shows kind of the progression as the motion caught as I moved around. It got several views of my truck as I pulled up to the house.

lastImage(1).jpg lastImage(2).jpg lastImage(3).jpg lastImage(4).jpg lastImage(6).jpg lastImage.jpg

Last Edited:
I didn't read the whole thread, just the original post.

I have a set of Arlo Pro wireless cameras, I am really impressed with them.

They are not cheap (I have 7 cameras and spent around $1300) and the one shortcoming is you don't have an endless video (it records in 10 second groups based on motion).
They have two way audio that works great, it's amazing what you can hear.

Not only are they wireless and cordless but the cameras are magnetic and can just be stuck securely to any metal object. I have several just stuck to fence posts and house parts.

I have only had them a few months but so far I am very pleased.

10 minutes is the default setting.
It has a max of 2 minutes per activation.

We will change ours tonite and tie into the base siren for during night time ....

I've found the 4 camera pack selling for 600, but thought i saw a 6 camera pack selling for 800 and change.

We have a ranch style home without a bunch of land so I may add 1 camera at a later date.

We got our pro at best buy four camera set for $589 because our Costco didn't carry the pro. I could have waited but we were leaving on vacation and wanted something hooked up before we left.

Arlo.
Available at CostCo.
Costco Wholesale

Battery operated camera's - wireless. Works pretty good. Camera's can mount by magnet or screw mount.

Here is snap of a recent morning video.
We are trying to track some unwanted critters, so we move the cameras around the yard.
Illumination is just the IR.

You control sensitivity, up high and IR will run down battery quickly.
Set lower, for say human size targets, battery will last 6 months.
You can buy non-rechargeable batteries.

View attachment 356165
Ditto on the Arlo cams. I have the Arlo Q (wired) at my business and the basic Arlo's (battery) at home. The battery Arlo's take CR123's. I got a bunch of rechargeable CR123's off ebay and they work great. Magnetic base let's to move Arlo cams anywhere you want. They are waterproof. You get online access to stored video. There's a free plan and tiered plans as well. You can email videos from the app or online. Great little cams.

We got our pro at best buy four camera set for $589 because our Costco didn't carry the pro. I could have waited but we were leaving on vacation and wanted something hooked up before we left.

Stopped at best buy to get a hard mount as the kit had 3 mag mounts but just 1 hard mount and they were out of them and had no pro models ..... they said they fly off the shelves and are their best selling system.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top