JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
just wondering about what others are using to lock up their guns at night while maintaining a quick access bedside. A keyed lock box is cheap but, I may forget a key "somewhere". I've considered a digital input safe as well as a biometric safe but they seem to have negative reviews. As of now, they are locked in my large capacity safe well out of reach for home defense.

I think there are models that have key lock AND number locks. I'm not a fan of biometric, if by that you mean fingerprint readers like on a phone, because I don't trust them to be accurate. Heck, my phone often can't read my thumb after three tries and I end up having to input my number code. In a life/death situation, that's precious time lost.

just wondering about what others are using to lock up their guns at night while maintaining a quick access bedside. A keyed lock box is cheap but, I may forget a key "somewhere". I've considered a digital input safe as well as a biometric safe but they seem to have negative reviews. As of now, they are locked in my large capacity safe well out of reach for home defense.

I still have a few from the days of having little ones. I chose the gun box type with a simplex 4 button lock on top. You set the combination to what you wish. They can be opened by feel then. I was always leery of anything battery powered or electronic for this.

You just have to be vigilant I have a big safe and a routine when I'm at home I open safe and take out what I think I might need well I at least open the safe at night my Glock with the flashlight on it is next to bed I don't have kids but if my neice or newphew show up I lock the safe BUT I HAVE TOLD THEM FROM THE TIME THEY COULD WALK NEVER TOUCH MY GUNS unless you ask me first same my uncles told me

You just have to be vigilant I have a big safe and a routine when I'm at home I open safe and take out what I think I might need well I at least open the safe at night my Glock with the flashlight on it is next to bed I don't have kids but if my neice or newphew show up I lock the safe BUT I HAVE TOLD THEM FROM THE TIME THEY COULD WALK NEVER TOUCH MY GUNS unless you ask me first same my uncles told me

I was raised that way too. I also (never did tell him) many times got my Dad's pistol out to hold it when they did not know. Had enough sense of course to never fire it but I remembered this when I had kids. When 2 of the kids were young I came in our room one day to find Wife's 38 laying there with hammer back. She of course did not carry it that way. I asked and of course both kids said they did not do it. I knew full well one of them did but what was the point in pushing it. Obviously one of them had picked it up, cocked it, then got scared not being sure what to do just laid it back down. Wife could have set it off reaching for it later. After that I bolted one of the lock boxes to that spot and told her from now on use it. Don't use the boxes any more even though there are a few of them bolted down in the house. Keep them there in case someone is bringing over little ones.

There are plenty of different types of quick access safes out there and hidden compartment furniture and all kinds of stuff you just have to research what you need and are willing to spend .I was told from a young age when we went to my uncles house never touch a gun they are all loaded and he had plenty if I wanted to see one or hold one all I had to do was ask .BUT IF I TOUCHED ONE WITHOUT ASKING THAT WAS MY bubblegum MEETING THE BELT mmmmmm old days when parents and uncles could still spank kids

I know we have all seen the news with these idots leaving there gun out for the kids to find or leaving there gun under the seat of the car and the kids find it and shoot themselves or there friends this is just stupidity kinda like the clowns that leaves there kid in the car in summer time in Arizona COME ON MAN SLOW DOWN THINK USE YOUR HEADif you can't do that then you probably shouldn't have a gun OR A KID

Most people think they will probably need there gun at night but there are more and more home invasion robbery happening during the day time that's why when I'm home there is a gun on me or very close by sad but this is the world we live in drugs and drug addicts are everywhere and the libral government in charge caters to them

Attach a very strong magnate to the back of your nightstand and stick your pistol to that. I use the magnates from pc hard drives. One will hold a fully loaded full size XDm9. I use two. Kids never even know it's there. Couple that with a good door lock for other peoples kids.
Many times concealment is actually better than cover..
I usually only lock my guns away from bad people like politicians and thieves.

Lol I have a job that I can not carry at work but I press the limits . because I work at night I have a Kimber pepper blaster on me also a good knife and a expanding baton the big citys are full of drug addicts that will do what they can to get a few bucks I'M NOT GOING TO BE A EASY TARGET OR VICTIM pack a lunch MFers it's going to be a long day for you

I've often thought a keyed safe with the key on a bracelet would ensure no forgotten guns, LOL. I'm kind of a forgetful person by nature, I can't remember how many times I've driven off to work forgetting my work keys. That is my concern, leaving a gun locked in a night stand safe with a key somewhere. I trust my key kids but bubblegum happens and if I can't be 100% sure than I'll have to keep looking.

My wife and I watch our 4.5 YO grandson(my avatar). We went with a Liberty handgun safe with biometric and key in the headboard. It's plugged in with battery backup and has a key just in case. It has a large capacity for biometric combo's so my wife and I set it up with different fingerprints multiple times for each print. I tested it extensively at first (and still do) without a failure to open. GTG for me.
Liberty HDX-250 Smart Vault : Cabela's

My ShotLock Solo Vault has never failed to open. You can set the buttons (mechanical) for a code of 2 to 5 numbers and change it at will! I use a three number code. They make them for a wide variety of weapons.
88B26D2E-3F40-4331-8AAE-86D8A88F2C3E.jpeg

Last Edited:
I've often thought a keyed safe with the key on a bracelet would ensure no forgotten guns, LOL. I'm kind of a forgetful person by nature, I can't remember how many times I've driven off to work forgetting my work keys. That is my concern, leaving a gun locked in a night stand safe with a key somewhere. I trust my key kids but bubblegum happens and if I can't be 100% sure than I'll have to keep looking.
Believe me I have been on my way to work and had to turn around and go home because I couldn't remember if I locked the safe or put away my gun lol sometimes it was for nothing everything was locked but better safe than sorry I trust my neice and newphew but I never know if they might bring a friend home from school with them

I should explain my sister lives on a island up here so some days her kids walk to my house after school rather than get on the ferry so I have to be very vigilant about it because they have keys to my house they can come in at any time so the rules are stay out of my room don't touch guns if you see one eat what you want watch TV wait for your mom and lock the door when you leave lol basically there friends know the deal also but you never know

I should explain my sister lives on a island up here so some days her kids walk to my house after school rather than get on the ferry so I have to be very vigilant about it because they have keys to my house they can come in at any time so the rules are stay out of my room don't touch guns if you see one eat what you want watch TV wait for your mom and lock the door when you leave lol basically there friends know the deal also but you never know
My thoughts exactly, just never know. It looks like shotlok offers some pistol vaults as well as AR mounts. I like the idea of my 5.56 pistol near but also like the versatility of tossing whatever I've been carrying all day in the vault too.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top