JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Five inch X-frame in 460 Mag
Heavy handgun
I am right handed.
I don't want to carry it on my hip or thigh - certainly not an ankle holster. :rolleyes:

So I am looking at shoulder holsters.

So far, what I have found that looks good are these:

Gunfighters Kenai

Amazon.com : Kenai Chest Holster for .460/.500 X-Frame Revolvers, MAS Grey / Coyote, Right Hand : Sports & Outdoors (https://www.amazon.com/Kenai-Holster-X-Frame-Revolvers-Coyote/dp/B010EGQ0CG)
Kenai Chest Holster (http://gunfightersinc.com/?page_id=251)
IMG_2643.jpg

Diamond D Guide's Choice
Guide's Choice™ Leather Chest Holster (https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/collections/holsters/products/guides-choice-chest-holster)

leather-chest-holster-guides-choice-leather-chest-holster-1_grande.jpg

I prefer the holster and gun be across my chest and not under my arm - I don't like big bulky objects under my arm and they seem cumbersome to me, also, the weight is all on one side usually.

I also prefer to get a holster that protects the gun - e.g., with a flap.

Naturally with this much weight I want the rig to be as comfortable as possible.

I kind of like the Kenai, but it doesn't look like it gives as much protection as the Diamond D, and I think I could the latter to make the holster with a flap - I have not seen Kydex holsters with flaps.

I would prefer a nylon padded formed holster system - I have those for other guns, and two I have come with flaps.

I've owned both holsters; my preference is for the Kenai.

Last summer I had a S&W 500 4" and carried it hiking in a Diamond D holster. I wore it over a t-shirt and under my backpack, and it never really felt 'right' to me. It seemed to walk around on my chest and my shoulder, and the leather would stretch a bit after a few hours of being soaked with sweat under my backpack. The adjustability was lacking too, as you have to use the pre-punched holes in the leather straps in many places.

I sold the 500 and bought a Glock 21 that I converted to 460R. I purchased the Kenai rig from Gunfighters Inc and I much prefer it. The nylon is more comfortable and less prone to walking around than the leather and the gun feels better on me. The replacement shells (to carry different guns with the same set of shoulder straps) are also significantly cheaper. The molding is absolutely first-rate, with crisp moldings for the mods I made to my gun (extended slide release and magazine release). Really, it's a top-quality unit.

It seemed to me (and this will sound strange) that the Diamond D holster is best for a guy with a gut for the pistol to ride on. It doesn't really stay put if you don't have a noticeable gut that projects out past the bottom of your ribcage. That may influence your choice.

Caveats: The S&W 500 weighed around 56 ounces empty, maybe 62-64 ounces fully loaded. The Glock 21 with the longer barrel and muzzle brake weighs approximately 41-42 ounces fully loaded. That 20 ounces may have made the difference. Either way, I prefer the nylon straps over the leather.

Thanks for the feedback.

The 460V does fit - barely - into my Bianchi nylon large revolver holster I bought for my n-frame to go on their military shoulder harness. The problem with that harness is that like most shoulder systems, it puts the gun more or less under your arm and also there is usually nothing on the other side to balance it, whereas I think a chest/belly system puts it up front, and it maybe doesn't get in the way of a backpack etc.

I have been really happy with the holsters I have from Simply Rugged. They have a chest system that can be added and works with most of their holsters.

I have a Diamond D as well but prefer the Simply Rugged for the choices.

I have and like both of those chest holsters as well. But I prefer the Kenai, simply because this is the PNW. Rain, hate getting a good leather holster wet,,,

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top