JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes - I use it for 45acp practice rounds - 5.4grs behind a 230 Bear creek conical bullet - cycles fine in my baby desert eagle and 1911's. A nice medium load. It works in my guns but may not work in yours - CYA. I assume that it is the same as Universal clays.

James Ruby

My late shooting buddy used it in his .45 ACP, and he liked it for mild target loads. I never have tried it in my 9mm or .45, but I do run Titegroup, which is a similar burning rate and works just fine. In reviewing Hodgdon loading data, it would appear that Clays is faster burning than Titegroup, so it won't provide top velocity in either cartridge, but may well turn out some accurate target loads, and certainly would be economical to use (very low charge weights)

to assume anything in reloading is asking for a disaster. Sutpidest thing Hodgden's ever did was name those powders nearly the same.they are not the same.

I use Clays all the time in my 45acp rounds,works fine.

Hodgdon clays maxes out at 4.5gr behind a 200gr SWC. A 5.2gr load would be a bomb....

I shoot tons of clays, I only use it in .45ACP though, it's not good for 9mm, my choices for that caliber are W231, or HS6, both of these powders will work in .45 also if you're looking for "one powder" load data.

to assume anything in reloading is asking for a disaster. Sutpidest thing Hodgden's ever did was name those powders nearly the same.they are not the same.

I use Clays all the time in my 45acp rounds,works fine.

There is Hodgdon 'Clays', Hodgdon 'Universal Clays', and Hodgdon 'International Clays'. In the last couple years they have dropped the word 'clays' from the latter two (i.e. 'Universal' and 'International' only).

They have different burning rates and are not interchangeable. I like the company, like their products - but whomever in Marketing came up with this naming convention should be fired or moved into another job...

It is OK in .45 (very, very narrow range where it is accurate).
In 9x19, it is OK for Minor PF loads, but it has pressure spikes as you approach max.
It is a much better shotgun powder than it a pistol powder.
AA2 and 231/HP38 are MUCH better powders, if you can find them -- with times being what they are, if all they have is Clays and you NEED powder...

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top