JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I read the entire post and was thinking, "At least they didn't pull that lame Covid excuse out of their back pocket." And then they went and did just that in their closing statement. Crap.

One has to wonder how many of those containers off Long Beach are full of coils of brass from Turkey and India or powder from Australia.
Examples...

Hodgdon Titegroup is actually St Marks powder number 242. Hodgdon just renames it, and puts in their packaging.

Same with Western Powder Ramshot TAC, that's c1700 which comes out of Belgium.
Ramshot X-Terminator is c1670, and Silhouette is 289.

Other TAC is 843x, and comes from St Marks

Hodgdon for the most part is a repackaging plant.

Examples...

Hodgdon Titegroup is actually St Marks powder number 242. Hodgdon just renames it, and puts in their packaging.
Other TAC number is 843x, which again is a St Marks powder.

Same with Western Powder Ramshot TAC, that's c1700 which comes out of Belgium.
Ramshot X-Terminator is c1670, and Silhouette is 289.

A lot of powders out there that are exactly the same but sold under different names.

H110 and 296
231 and hp38

To name a few

I have read that even if they wanted to invest the money that they can't build a plant for extruded powder in the US.
Being a manufacturer in the US is a regulatory nightmare. That's why so many companies eagerly shipped their plants and technology to China -- cheap labor, no regulation, better bottom line.
The hurdles (and costs) for entry are significant too.

Contrary to popular belief, they make very little if any of their own powder. Most all comes from St Marks and overseas.
Yep, they are little more than a repackager of explosive stuff. The business model of repackaging vs. manufacturing is radically different. Perhaps why they didn't work out in ownership of Goex.

It was a lot of words to say our cash cow is working just fine.
Pretty much sums it up.

I don't mind a "hoarder." Isn't that just being smart? Like saving money during the good times because you know cash will be tight during future lean times. No problem with that. What I do object to are the vultures, the gougers who try to monopolize what little supply is available, be it ammo, powders, brass, or primers, so they can resell it at inflated prices to those in need. That's just too much selfishness for me to support, too much greed, too little recognition that we're all in this together. And of course the vultures like to wrap themselves in the flag and scream, "Hey, that's capitalism! Deal with it!"

I don't mind a "hoarder." Isn't that just being smart? Like saving money during the good times because you know cash will be tight during future lean times. No problem with that. What I do object to are the vultures, the gougers who try to monopolize what little supply is available, be it ammo, powders, brass, or primers, so they can resell it at inflated prices to those in need. That's just too much selfishness for me to support, too much greed, too little recognition that we're all in this together. And of course the vultures like to wrap themselves in the flag and scream, "Hey, that's capitalism! Deal with it!"
The other side of the coin is that you don't have to feed the "vultures". What will happen is the supplies will come back and the prices will come down. Those "price gougers" that paid too much and wanted even more will have to sell at cost or even a loss to recoup their investment.

When someone's "self interest" drives them to rush to the store early, troll dozens of online retailers, call businesses all over the state, etc. only to get there first and to stock up on any and all powder they can buy, regardless that they have enough stash to make two lifetime's worth of rounds…

Yea, that's hoarding.

Ironically, this is the exact mentality that led to the fat aristocrats in France getting their comeuppance…once upon a time.
Hello @Hueco . What are you referring to with respect to French getting their comeuppance? I'm not arguing or objecting, just asking. I don't recognize some bit of history perhaps I should know. Educate me?
Carol

Points to ponder: Who delivers? Who cannot find truck drivers? How many million new gun owners are there? By way of comparison, look at your local grocery store or pharmacy. See the partially empty shelves? And that is occurring with STATIC demand for their items. Now triple or quadruple the demand for hard-to-ship, highly regulated explosives (or "flammable solids") and what we are seeing is undertstandable, and was predictable. And all of this when vegetables can be hard to find.

Rather, we should be thankful that such shortages occur infrequently. The time to stock up was before the panic buying set in. Our job is to ride this out while controlling our frustration and anger.

"Hoarders" is just a new word for those who planned ahead and took action.
I agree. About 5 years ago, I started picking up a few pounds here and there when it was on sale. When everything went sideways, I was able to reload quite a bit for myself and taught my neighbor how to reload on my equipment. I sold my supplies to him at my cost. My stash is down pretty low now, but at least I've been able to keep shooting, but so has everyone else I see at the club matches.

I don't get being called a hoarder for saving up on consumables.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top