JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For those that have spent the dough and waited the time for a high end holster (like a Milt Sparks, Kramer, Ted Blocker) was it worth it compared to the less expensive/more readily available holsters? I'm considering a Ted Blocker DA3 or a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 for IWB carry of my XDm 3.8 compact but it's difficult to pull the trigger on one of these when there aren't any to try on/out/look at and pictures on the interwebs of the specific holster for my pistol are pretty much non-existant...I'm not crazy about Kyvex holsters, but they are a ton cheaper and more available. So for those that have taken the plunge or have experience- particularly if you have experience with an IWB holster and a Springfield I would love to hear what you think. Here's a couple links for what I'm considering:

Ted Blocker DA3: <broken link removed>

Milt Sparks Versa Max 2: <broken link removed>

Well I bought a crossbreed supertuck with horsehide and a dual mag holster in horsehide, and the kydex on dual mag cracked, and I cost me 10 bucks to mail it back and they sent me a brand new holster new leather kydex and hardware, well worth it in my opinion

I have used a crossbreed, Galco, Kydex, and a few others. By far the Milt Sparks is worth it.

I tell anyone who is looking for an IWB holster to go with a Milt Sparks. They are a stable and well built holster upon which you can build years of use. Even if you don't go with Milt Sparks, I would suggest going with horsehide. It naturally wicks moisture away from the body.

So yes, Milt Sparks is worth the money.

I have lots of different holsters that are good holsters, but Milt Sparks holsters are a cut above the rest. I have a Milt Sparks Axiom for my Dan Wesson CBOB and a Milt Sparks PMK for my Ruger SP101 3". Yeah, the wait is a PITA, but they are worth it.

Another holster maker that I am impressed with is Adams Leatherworks in TX. I have one of his Avenger holsters for my Ed Brown Kobra and it is really great quality for the price. Not as good as Milt Sparks, but I like his holster better than those I have purchased from Galco and Kirkpatrick Leather and there's nowhere near the wait. Limited choices as the holster business is a part time gig for him, but I would buy from him again. Here's a link:

Adams LeatherWorks

He does not make IWB holsters at this time, but his OWB holsters are excellent.

Last Edited:
Like the old saying...you get what you pay for.

The patriarchs of the holster biz (Sparks-Alessi-Nelson-Davis) came up with most of the designs we now use today, and is worth the knowledge etc. they have when deciding on one of their models.

I use Gordon Davis holsters exclusively, and find that some of his designs are still used and imitated today.

Because of health issues, he had to give it up...but one of his apprentices picked up the biz and carries on the designs...like Tony Kanaley did with Sparks holsters.

Davis Leather Company

^ Those look really nice too. How much of a difference does it make having the belt loops close together (like on the Davis 455 security or Sparks Summer Special) or spread farther apart like the VM-2? I'm pretty well sold on buying a premium holster I think, just not sure which one...

^ Those look really nice too. How much of a difference does it make having the belt loops close together (like on the Davis 455 security or Sparks Summer Special) or spread farther apart like the VM-2? I'm pretty well sold on buying a premium holster I think, just not sure which one...

For me, those questions come down to personal comfort and how you like to carry it. Unfortunately, it is something that takes a bit of trial an error. Though, I will say that most of the holsters can be resold on the open market if you find it isn't one you want.

M

PS Just don't try to buy several of them and sell them. I know Milt Sparks gets a bit grumpy when people do this.

I have used a crossbreed, Galco, Kydex, and a few others. By far the Milt Sparks is worth it.

I tell anyone who is looking for an IWB holster to go with a Milt Sparks. They are a stable and well built holster upon which you can build years of use. Even if you don't go with Milt Sparks, I would suggest going with horsehide. It naturally wicks moisture away from the body.

So yes, Milt Sparks is worth the money.

I whole heartedly argee. My Milt Sparks VMII's have taken 5-6 months to get and aren't cheap (though there are more expensive options out there), but they are indeed the best IWB holsters I've ever owned. They just fit my body perfectly and conceal very very well. I would definitely reccomend them to anyone.

I never had problems. I email him he answers quickly. Delivers a good price and well built holster quick. Stands by his product as many ppl will say. You can find a few comparison on Ytube comparing to other holsters that cost 50% more. I don't need him as a friend. JMO

Well I decided to pull the trigger on a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 in horsehide. It'll be a long wait but I'm sure I'll like it when it shows up. Probably buy some cheap azz galco or use the paddle holster that came with my XDm in the meantime, though I'm not crazy about possibly getting "made" using the paddle...

One quick suggestion, whenever I purchase a Milt Sparks for a new pistol. I look at my other pistols, or ones I know I'll be purchasing in the near future and order one for it as well. Sure, twice the cost, but not twice the time. :)

^ good point that...Right now I just have the one pistol (not planning on packing the Sig Mosquito...) and my next gun is gonna be an AR platform anyway (wife put the kybosh on the Sig P238 for now.)

The thing that I find the most important is how the holster feels. My most often carried gun has nothing to do with the gun. It has all to do with the fact that its the most comfortable holster that I own.

but based on his website he really comes off like a prick.

Having been in business for myself, you ought to see from the other side how lots of Customers come off. Just remember, people "reap as they sow". Some business men just bite their tongue and some aren't so restrained.

If anyone wants a hand made product, just be prepared to wait. I have a UBG holster and it's everything he promised. Worth the wait. When I don't want to wait I go to Galco, Safariland, or Bianchi.

I just thought his website came across as overly harsh but very good product. Given I'm in the customer service business myself I don't really take to well to being treated like a child by someone's website. I'm sure he's just got a ton of impatient customers annoyingly asking him constantly "where's my holster?" but there's no reason for the website to have paragraphs upon paragraphs telling potential customers to piss off- they'll get their order when they get it...It just sort of turned me off to his product.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top