JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dress up kits= the equivilant of buying a new outfit for your Barbie:s0114:

buy a pistol caliber AR instead

Well, the difference is $700 Min. for a Ar pistol after everything, or $250 for a 9mm Hi-point. A bit of a difference if you are thinking of buying something with price in mind.
OP, any of these threads, the people that talk down on these either have money for something else, or just dont have 1. Personally, if your on a budget or not, buy 1. Unfortunately, they slowly have gone up almost a hundred bucks since they came out. Bads: yes 10 round mag. sucks, ugly if your a redneck Fashion Police, and simply people like to hate them and insult their owners. Goods: Cheap, built like tanks - drop it on concrete, mud, sand, a lake, its still going to fire, 50 yards open sites in the 9mm....pretty dam accurate, cheap ammo, cheap price, did i mention, fires all the time when you want to...cheap, and really accurate? Heck, If you buy one, shoot 10,000 rounds through it and if you then dont like it, you can still sell it for more then half of the cost of new. Or buy a AR for $700 to $800, when you could not go out to the bar with friends for 3 nights and buy a hi-point.....Just buy one and give it to your kid, no worries

My ancestors didn't come over on the Mayflower, sign the Constitution, or row Washington across the Potomac, and my DNA is suspect.

However, I do own a Hi-Point 995 that I've gussied up with an ATI stock. I've sent thousands of rounds down the barrel without a hiccup. It's the best pistol cartridge carbine value out there, hands down.

The intent of this thread is to review the HI-point product. There are a lot faceless comments that can be taken with a grain of salt.
When I was researching my next gun purchase I.
Look in the classifieds on this forum and search for HI-point rifle or pistol for sale. There are none for sale and with the few that have been for sale sell very quickly. Call any gun dealer that carries the Hi-point product line and ask them to get on the waiting list yep folks are waiting in line to spend their money on a HI-point.
The Hi-point carbine is not an AR class rifle why compare apples to oranges.

MULTIPLE REBUTYLE = Blitzkrieg> What are you talking about cracks in a carbine are cool? lol, what, are you going to show us all a link to 1 case where a hi-point carbine cracked somewhere, which I'm guessing your intending happened in the receiver, because it is made of ZINC, as you are referring too. I'm no chemist, but have taken a few chemistry classes, so what formula is the metal that the receiver is made from, and I can tell you Boiling Points and Melting Points and also its strength. Yet, this is not a common thing on hi-points from what I have reviewed or experienced - please inform us all what you meant.

NEXT> FarmerTed> your statement has nothing to do with this thread but a personal opinion on another's personal observation. Here's my personal opinion on FarmerTeds personal opinion on another's personal observation = Your trying too hard to impress others by making fun of other members and you're a idiot in your methodology. They are cheap, and people like that for something that works. Especially in a caliber and type of gun that is not going to get allot of use = lets buy a high dollar gun that sits and doesn't get used much = STUPID......Unless you can afford to spend the initial money and never think again about it.

Finally> Coop44> Even though you were just kidding on making your own gun, which is illegal, and dumb, instead of buying a hi-point, and should not even be posted on someone looking for reviews of this certain gun. You continued to dismay the OP by liking FarmerTed's "SNIPE", showing your later statement, only as personal opinion on this gun and you just like to chime in because you want to comment for some reason.

If you don't have a personal review, don't comment, if you have owned a gun and something went wrong, say it. People that are looking to buy a gun do not want to hear why your different then everyone else because of your own perplexed mind dislikes this gun; that comes out like a isolated, idiot that only believes himself.

No dismay experienced whatsoever. Checking again... still none.

All the opinions I've read have been helpful. Hoping for more too, the edgier the better. Sadly, my youngster won't come home from the war for another 8 months, so I have plenty of time to decide (especially because now I'm weighing 45 vs. 9mm).

Thoughts there?

NEXT> FarmerTed> your statement has nothing to do with this thread but a personal opinion on another's personal observation. Here's my personal opinion on FarmerTeds personal opinion on another's personal observation = Your trying too hard to impress others by making fun of other members and you're a idiot in your methodology. They are cheap, and people like that for something that works. Especially in a caliber and type of gun that is not going to get allot of use = lets buy a high dollar gun that sits and doesn't get used much = STUPID......Unless you can afford to spend the initial money and never think again about it.

Grow up. Friends don't let friends buy cheap *** firearms. I just stated a fact. Save up another hundred dollars and buy a quality machine, not a boat anchor. The only good thing about HiPoints is that they are made in America and employ hard working folks... so I'll give them that.

If he's in the service surprise him with a Beretta! He will be familiar with it and it's a quality piece of metal made to last. You can even buy a used one and be confident in your purchase. He will thank you. If you are thinking .45 then consider a 1911 possibly. Oh, make sure to thank him for his service to our country!

the cracks I mentiond, I believe to be my bad. I got back to the truck from hunting. it was about 20° out. it was too late to go in anywhere else. so I drug out my 995 at ran thru 4 mags, half way thru the 5th the action stopped closing all the way. on dissasembly I found the cracks. and as I said hi-point rebuilt it at no cost.
that said, just how many of those that say theyre crap, have actually owned one for any length of time.

Finally> Coop44> Even though you were just kidding on making your own gun, which is illegal, and dumb, instead of buying a hi-point, and should not even be posted on someone looking for reviews of this certain gun. You continued to dismay the OP by liking FarmerTed's "SNIPE", showing your later statement, only as personal opinion on this gun and you just like to chime in because you want to comment for some reason.

If you don't have a personal review, don't comment, if you have owned a gun and something went wrong, say it. People that are looking to buy a gun do not want to hear why your different then everyone else because of your own perplexed mind dislikes this gun; that comes out like a isolated, idiot that only believes himself.

I "chime in" Either with facts or levity as I see fit.

YES, it is legal to build your own gun, from scratch. "Homebuilt" guns are allowed under batf guidelines as long as they are made for personal use and not for resale.

My review of hi points- after seeing cracked and broken ones on more than one occasion, I would not touch one with a stick.

The zinc parts are formed using "sintered metal casting" where powderd zinc is poured into a mold and heated, leaving possible voids. Perfectly acceptable for cheap imported toys 40 years ago, not good for guns.

I must admit I have toyed with the idea of obtaining one of these carbines. I looked at a youtube video on taking the carbine apart and it seemed like somewhat of a pain. When it comes to cleaning are you guys taking it apart or just running a patch through the barrel or what?
I run a patch through it once in a while and it's fine. They only look difficult to pull apart. It's not really that bad. They are great little rifles in my experience.
Now if I can just figure out how to get that Suomi drum attached to the magazine, I'll be much happier.

its cheap so it must be crap. Actually i have a cousin that owns one. He can't afford a AR15, He loves it. It fires every time he pulls the trigger .

i took a hi point .45 in trade i must say i am quite surprised at how well it shoots, we fired a couple hundred rds in 1 outing with out a single malfunction . Its butt ugly and a total robocop gun but it worked.

I would never recommend one how ever i have nothing bad to say about them

Jennings on the other hand
I had a Jennings 9mm once, the one i had the trigger pull was like pulling teeth. It was more accurate if used as a rock than a gun , i would not compare it to a hi point.

Jennings, Bryco and the rest of their ilk were better used with a rope tied around the trigger guard and swung rapidly around the head, to gain velocity.

They were all crap.

I work for a gun shop in Lebenon. I have to say that I was not sold on the Hi Point because well because the fact it was so cheap. I was very surprised when I shot it. Never a feed problem. absolutely no recoil and I was walking a can up a hill at 100 yards. For the money its a great buy. The Kel-Tec sub 2000 is also a great option and it takes Glock mags (which is fun if you don't want to reload every ten rounds. Ruger used to make the PC-9 and PC-4 (police carbine) which shot the 9mm and the s&w .40 I wish they had not stopped making them because they were so accurate. Beretta also makes the storm carbines in .45 .40 and 9mm. You will be paying a lot more for the Beretta and Ruger the Kel=Tec is only $100 more but is a bit awkward due to the fact it is a folder but is an excellent carbine and has many conversion options. The high point has a conversion stock to make it look and feel like th Beretta as well. I would also like to say that High point has the most Amazing customer service. If you say bthat your gun is not working right and sens it back to them without a mag in it they will send you a new gun test fired with a mag in it in about a week. I hope this helped you develop a basis for a good decsion.

Until people start suggesting another <$250 centerfire pistol caliber carbine I don't see anything suggesting he go elsewhere. Sure a 9mm AR-15 would be awesome. So would a MP5, or an uzi. The problem is none of those fall anywhere near the same price range.
It's easy to say "don't buy that...quadruple your budget and buy XXXXX"

Their pistols work, and fill a niche for inexpensive guns with a stellar warranty...

That said I'll never own one and the clearance of the slide scares my big hands.

My Old man is an Old steel gun guy, Nagant... Argentine Mauser... Arisaka... Imagine my surprise when he found a Used HP 9mm carbine, stripped screws, abused. No factory mags. Wouldn't feed.

He bought factory mags, they feed flawlessly. He replaced the nubbin bolt-handle with the monster you see below for our big hands to get purchase...

And then he strapped a $7 Radioshack Laser-flashlight to the end... and the Laser nearly points to point of aim through the scope.

Most surprising carbine I've shot, hands down. And apparently the warranty covers everything short of Marvin the Martian disintegrating it.

IMAG2035.jpg

I have owned two of the older 995 carbines in 9mm. Great guns, but I did not like the ATI stock despite the "cool" looks. I would still have both of them but made a personal philosophical decision about the value of "pistol caliber carbines" for my own uses. If I'm going to carry the weight of a carbine I would rather have something like a .223, 7.62x39mm or 30-30. Still, for cheap plinking (9mm tends to be the least expensive centerfire pistol caliber) they are fun, accurate and inexpensive. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top