JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Almost jumped in on the other Hi-Point thread found here, but my question might have derailed that one (comparing 9mm and 45 acp).

My question is about the general quality, reliability and value of the Hi-Point 9mm carbine. My son wants one, and it might be a cool surprise for him when he returns from Afghanistan. His logic is that they're inexpensive to buy, cheap to feed and something fun to bridge the gap between his 10/22 and 308.

I asked one pal whose opinion I respect and he called it a really bad idea. Other takes?

Hi-Point makes a good product in my opinion. I have owned two of the Model 995 9mm carbines and they functioned perfectly.

They are ugly, a great value, and they WORK.

A Hi-Point pistol is a waste of money. A Hi-Point carbine is the best value hands down in firearms. I have fired between 15-20 different HP carbines in 9mm and .40(only one .45) and I have never seen any kind of issue at all. Every HP carbine owner that I have ever met is a happy person. If anyone can show me a better gun brand new for less than $300, I would be very surprised. I would trust my life on one. Kip.

I have one of each in 9mm and 40cal, and they were my first auto pistol caliber carbines, I have not had any gripes with their accuracy or function.
They are a bit heavy, but I think that their weight adds to their ability to absorb recoil and make shooting pleasant.

I now have Keltec carbines and Mechtech conversion uppers for one of my pistols, and still the Hi-Point carbines can shoot just as good a group at fifty yards as any of my others.

I have one. When I got it for $85.00 it needed just about everything part wise to make it work, stock, trigger parts, recoil spring, etc.
Looked like it was underwater for a while, but more than likely it was the leaky trunk the guy pulled it out of.
I called Hi-point and they sent everything but the receiver and sear for free. No shipping charges either. Lifetime warranty, no questions asked.
It's a hoot to shoot, accurate and eats any cheap ammo.

I never owned or shot one but I think they should have learned something from Kel-Tec and made the rifle accept Glock mags or Beretta mags. The single stack low capacity mag is just dumb.... I guess there are some PRO-MAGS out there for them that are higher capacity but the key word is PRO-MAG..... need I say more?

I picked one up a couple months ago to plink with. My wife loves it due to pretty much no recoil at all. It's an ugly gun and a bit on the heavy side but for what it is, I'd say it was money well spent.

I think they are a good value if you want a pistol caliber carbine. I couldn't get over the uglyness so I put it in an ATI stock so it's a faux-storm. I wouldn't trust my life to it yet, but it's a fun plinker and surprisingly accurate.

Well, come on now. Even I have to admit that guns are just Barbies for Men. Not all guns, but most. Some of us care as much about what a weapon looks like as we do about how it shoots. Look at all the 'ugly' comments as proof of that fact.

I'd like to have one of those Olympic 9mm ARs that take Glock mags someday.

If they are so great why are they not issued to police and military? Zinc is for chess pieces, not firearms

I bought a few Jennings 22s long ago and they are now useless paperweights after less than 500 rds each

Not following you on that - the Hi-Point uses Zinc for base metal materials?

Redcap - quit kissing Blitz's butt with all the LIKES lol!!!!

Gawd, I love you guys.

i've had my 995 for 6 years now, bought it used and put just short of 2000 rounds thru it. when i found somes cracks in the slide. i shipped it back to hi-point, the completely rebuilt it, upgraded several parts, replaced all worn parts.
rplaced the 4 mags i sent in, with 5 new ones, and upgraded to the new stock. it came in an ATI stock.
all for free. that was about a year ago, have another 900 rounds down the tube and it looks like brand new inside still.
the are a great low dollar carbine. don't think you'll be disappointed with one. they are a blast to shoot, my wife loves shooting it also.
DSCF4198.jpg

Zinc is fine in a pistol caliber carbine. I've never heard of one blowing up(though I'm sure somewhere one has). The reason they are too heavy for some folks is that they are built to withstand the pressures of pistol rounds. I also own a Ruger PC9. It's a great carbine, but I could buy a 9mm and a .40S&W Hi-Point for the price of one Ruger. I have fired them side by side and the Hi-Point is a great firearm. I have pulled the trigger on far too many HP carbines without any question of their reliabilty or accuracy. I do agree with the magazine issue. The gun would be much more useful with magazines of a higher capacity. I have no problem with someone buying "higher quality" firearms, but HP carbines are in my opinion wonderful and the best bang for your buck available. Kip.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top