JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Welcome aboard, glad to have you join us! No fear!!!:s0155:
The 870 as others have said is a fine choice, and you will find them highly recommended to noobs and seasoned shooters alike, so you did good!
I'm glad to see you embracing your rights and investing time and enjoyment in them, it's a unique legacy to stand and protect so that future generations will be able to rely on them for them selves!
The AR is a fine choice as well, but here is where you need to spend a little time researching the best for you and your budget, were always more then happy to help here, so ask all the questions you like!
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask, so have at it, ask away!:s0155:

Waynes-World-l.jpg

Aloha, Mark

n82,

Depending on how well the 870 fits you and if you ultimately find the recoil off putting, consider adding a slip on decelerator pad like a Pachmayr.

Cost roughly $25.00 or so. I had to add one to my last shotgun as it's recoil was harsh as the gun only weighed about 5 lbs.

I shot a high brass load of turkey shot first time I shot it and found it unexpectedly unpleasant.

I bought a recoil pad from Brownells and once installed all was well...anyway just a thought.

n82,

Depending on how well the 870 fits you and if you ultimately find the recoil off putting, consider adding a slip on decelerator pad like a Pachmayr.

Cost roughly $25.00 or so. I had to add one to my last shotgun as it's recoil was harsh as the gun only weighed about 5 lbs.

I shot a high brass load of turkey shot first time I shot it and found it unexpectedly unpleasant.

I bought a recoil pad from Brownells and once installed all was well...anyway just a thought.
I asked about this from the guy who sold me the gun and he said that I should wait until the end pad had worn a bit. It's brand new and never been used. I'm looking at ranges that allow shotguns today but, now they said no more than 10 people gatherings etc. I need to get more ammo too. Yikes probably today people will be out getting ammo too.

I asked about this from the guy who sold me the gun and he said that I should wait until the end pad had worn a bit. It's brand new and never been used. I'm looking at ranges that allow shotguns today but, now they said no more than 10 people gatherings etc. I need to get more ammo too. Yikes probably today people will be out getting ammo too.
If that's a Brand New Remington, then it "Should" have the Soft Cell recoil pad, and if so, you should have no issues with recoil at all!
I say get out and shoot a few boxes through it and then decide if you need to make any changes! :D

I think the same thing. Get out shoot it and see how it is for me.
Welcome! You'll do fine and see if you have someone to go with you and give pointers if necessary. Here's my 13yr old son enjoying an 870 clone that we put a pistol grip on and he did fine. Shot that thing more times than I did!:s0060:

IMG_0384[1].JPG

WELCOME! Great forum of info here in general.

I'm registered to vote and yep I will.
Thanks! I am registered to vote and I will.

Perfect also let others know around you. A woman that is pro 2A wields quite a bit of influential power on others on the fence.

Any recommendations for a handgun as a second gun for personal protection outside the home but not limited to outside.

A whole lot of opinions on this question for sure. My suggestion is a Glock 19. This is a 9mm (very common round to find ammo for) also a relatively soft recoil. Crazy easy to maintain and always shoots when you want it too. Also, Glocks have had measured higher performance with female police offices over other guns. Not overly priced and commonly found used. (maybe not this week) Next up would be more concealable and that is the Glock 48, basically the same gun just about half as thick, but holds fewer rounds of ammunition.
Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 2.24.14 PM.png
If I could ask, do you plan on buying or already own a reasonable safe? I noticed the cable lock in the picture, is that your key source of security thus far?

You also mentioned having kids? Have you done any education with them? Depending on age, training them to understand firearms could be an invaluable thing to do.

Best wishes to you and yours!
Reno

Reno is spot on (as usual) on this one, a reasonable safe is a good thing to have to hold your firearms.

I as a father of three my boys, have raised them they could go shooting anytime they wanted, so the desire to break the primary rule of "never touch a gun w/o Dad" was never a desire. Including them is a great time together but also helps educate them in firearm safety.

This would be the least secure option I would recommend is a Fort Knox security box. Over built for what it is, not a safe, but definitely secure against folks you don't want getting access.

It is also fast access, so when in need, you can get your firearm quickly.

For the record, an AR will have less recoil to shoot, so in regards to what would be easier to shoot, definitely the AR, but a shotgun is pretty standard first purchase for people wanting something for their home. It was my first as well :)

As others have suggested, while it is still convenient and less paperwork to do so. I would definitely buy an AR lower. You don't have to do anything with it, but having it ahead of time will save a lot of headache.
If you live any where near Raymond Washington we have a beautiful range.... rifles, trap shoot (don't know the schedule ) and an under cover range for most firearm...and a combat range the coast gaurd and law enforcement use for practice and qualifying.

Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club is a great gun range right near Snoqualmie Falls .. I joined that club, but left Washington state shortly afterwards.. TOo bad, it was so beautiful having a stream run right alongside the range and the drive through Snoqualmie Valley was very uplifting . It's also out of city, so you don't get bad crowds on weekdays. They also let you draw shoot, which is something not many ranges in the area allow.

Oh wow! That's cool! I'll check it out. I found out that Bellevue Wade's range will do a Private shotgun class. I took a basic handgun class tonight and it was awesome. I also bought a Smith and Wesson 380 too. I'm on the 10 day waiting for it but I'm happy for it anyway!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top