JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I felt it was a good choice too. They really wanted me to get an AR but I felt a shotgun is a good first choice for a first gun. I got it for home protection. I will need to find a good place to shoot it so I'm used to it and can work on my aim etc. I do plan to go get a handgun and maybe an AR later on.

For the record, an AR will have less recoil to shoot, so in regards to what would be easier to shoot, definitely the AR, but a shotgun is pretty standard first purchase for people wanting something for their home. It was my first as well :)

As others have suggested, while it is still convenient and less paperwork to do so. I would definitely buy an AR lower. You don't have to do anything with it, but having it ahead of time will save a lot of headache.

Ok, I'll go check it out tmw and grab one. I think I'll need more ammo anyway so I'll be looking for that too. I liked one of thr AR's I saw. I didn't want something that could penetrate any of the walls since I've got two houses close to me with kids and I've got my own kids too. I also would prefer for my home defense gun to be one shot to stop any person. I don't mind the weight or the recoil so much as I've shot guns before. I always did like the AR's but for a first gun this shotgun will be perfect.

Ok, I'll go check it out tmw and grab one. I think I'll need more ammo anyway so I'll be looking for that too. I liked one of thr AR's I saw. I didn't want something that could penetrate any of the walls since I've got two houses close to me with kids and I've got my own kids too. I also would prefer for my home defense gun to be one shot to stop any person. I don't mind the weight or the recoil so much as I've shot guns before. I always did like the AR's but for a first gun this shotgun will be perfect.

Youtube research will be really informative for you as this path continues. For example, just about 100% of firearms have the capability of penetrating your house and entering a neighbors house, and it goes against common sense in many ways but the light and high velocity rifle rounds (like for thr AR) over-penetrate less than a lot of pistol and shotgun rounds. It's a mass vs speed situation.

Regarding the recommendation to get just an AR lower. You can get a completed one for under $200 easily, then, with time as your interest grows, you can get the upper half without having to deal with whatever paperwork is required at the time.

Not in Washington it isn't. Unless you get an AOW or non-shotgun "firearm" ( Serbu Super Shorty or Mossberg Shockwave respectively)
Got one of those too

20170221_200348.jpg

Haha yeah I noticed. Like what AR low and something else. Hahaha. I'll look anyway and get some knowledge on it.

Think about an AR as 2 halves. Bottom half - lower, you have to do paperwork for when you buy it, top half - upper, you don't. It's no more complicated than that.

Palmettostatearmory.com will become a popular site for you I'm sure.

Any good places for shooting a shotgun in a range in the greater Seattle area? A lot of the rural areas are at least 3hr drive both ways which I don't think should be done given the current situation.

Any recommendations for a handgun as a second gun for personal protection outside the home but not limited to outside.

For every firearm you want to buy or possess, it has to be legal on a federal level and legal on a state level. There isn't any type of firearm in the country that isn't legal with the right paperwork. However, for most people who only have a driver's license and do not have any National Firearms Act tax stamps, they are not allowed to have the following types of guns:

Handguns with a vertical front grip;
Shotguns with a barrel under 18";
Rifles with a barrel less than 16";
Firearms that fire more than one round for each trigger pull;
Firearms with a bore diameter more than 0.5 inches;
Shotguns with revolving cylinders;
Grenade launchers;
Suppressors (called silencers by most laws);
And some other niche items.
In Washington, it is presently legal to have a short barreled rifle if you have the approved federal NFA tax stamp for it and are in compliance with federal law, and legal to have a suppressor if you have the approved federal NFA stamp for it. NFA items require much more paperwork than "regular" items and are more heavily regulated. For example an SBR owner cannot take it across state lines without first getting federal permission from the ATF. The NFA world can get complicated very quickly.
There are also many "workarounds" that gun manufacturers have gotten bolder with during the last few years, such as AR "pistol braces" and Mossberg's Shockwave (not a shotgun because it never had a shoulder stock, thus not a short barreled shotgun). A person needs to be careful about modifying these types of guns to ensure they remain legal. For example, on an AR pistol an angled front grip is fine, swap out for a vertical front grip without an AOW stamp or SBR stamp, and you might get hit with a federal felony. The ATF changes its interpretations of these "workaround" firearms every few years, including how they measure them for various legal lengths, and whether or not the gun changes categories if the user uses it in certain ways. Much to learn, but very interesting.

There are actually some AR uppers which the ATF requires to be serial numbered and transferred as a firearm. But those are rare, e.g. Safety Harbor 50BMG bolt action uppers.

Any good places for shooting a shotgun in a range in the greater Seattle area? A lot of the rural areas are at least 3hr drive both ways which I don't think should be done given the current situation.

Any recommendations for a handgun as a second gun for personal protection outside the home but not limited to outside.
I'm a member at the Federal Way discount guns and indoor range in Federal Way. They have many handguns to try and have classes for all levels. I'd call them and ask about shotgun use and training, as only slugs are allowed in the main range.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top