JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a membership at gun range next to Wades. I believe they changed the rules for shotguns you have to be a member and shotguns can be shot the last weekend of the month (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). You can only shoot lead 00 buckshot or lead slugs.

I guess I need to look them up and see if the rules are different now. Before they changed the rules I shot cases (250 rounds per case) at this indoor range.

You might try this range I believe you need to be a member but you can shoot 00 buckshot and lead slugs all of the time:

Shooting Sports Northwest - Indoor Shooting Range - Bothell, WA

I go to this range with my coworker since he is a member. You just have to use full size targets for shotguns.

Last Edited:
I have a membership at gun range next to Wades. I believe they changed the rules for shotguns you have to be a member and shotguns can be shot the last weekend of the month (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). You can only shoot lead 00 buckshot or lead slugs.

I guess I need to look them up and see if the rules are different now. Before they changed the rules I shot cases (250 rounds per case) at this indoor range.

You might try this range I believe you need to be a member but you can shoot 00 buckshot and lead slugs all of the time:

Shooting Sports Northwest - Indoor Shooting Range - Bothell, WA

I go to this range with my coworker since he is a member. You just have to use full size targets for shotguns.

I got my guns from Wade's and I took one class there and shot at the range. They do private classes for whatever you need and so I can do that with the shotgun. They're closed now due to the shelter in place order.

Given your obvious pro-2A stance, what motivated your choice to get a gun now?

Thanks!!

I just moved back from Hong Kong in July last year, filed for divorce with my husband, became a single mom with no income, finally got a job then this all happened. I thought I'd have time to take classes and practise before this happened but nope so I went and got a shotgun then went back and then a s&w 380 EZ.

I spent 17 years living out of the country so I obviously couldn't own any firearms unless I had gotten them prior to moving.

Wow!

I applaud you !!

Hope you and yours are O.K.

I have 2 granddaughter's I love to pieces.

You look rather younger...than either...for what ever that means.....please forgive me...

Wow!

I applaud you !!

Hope you and yours are O.K.

I have 2 granddaughter's I love to pieces.

You look rather younger...than either...for what ever that means.....please forgive me...

Thanks! Me and mine are doing OK.

The age thing is rather interesting. People don't believe me when I tell them how old I am. Doctors refer to me as the kids sister which baffles me. I have a 17,15,12 year old kids. I think its a mixture of living in a hot humid climate for so long, eating very natural fresh foods, life choices and possibly good genes. My grandma didn't start getting white hairs until she was in her 70's then got it on the sides of her hair and no she didn't dye her hair and she was proud of the fact she still had her beautiful brown hair with only the sides turning white. Although, in China and HK its very common for women especially to look younger than they are so I think its the environment because obviously I'm not Chinese yet had the same effect. I see people I went to school with and my thoughts are "What happened to you???" they look 10-15 years older than me.

. I have a 17,15,12 year old kids.

My apologies if you have already gotten this lecture, but as a new gun owner, you can never hear it enough. My oldest is almost 30 and I started there gun safety indoctrination when they were 8-10 years old. (I got three boys in their 20's) We STILL quiz each other before we go to the range. With your three kids, I would recommend you start the indoctrination soon if you haven't already. Even if you don't intend right now to have them shoot.

The 5 Basic Principles of Gun Safety:
  • Treat every gun as if it were loaded.
  • Always point your gun in a safe direction.
  • Never point your gun at anything you don't intend to shoot.
  • Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to shoot.
  • Be sure of your target and what's beyond.
I stole the above, but it's the most important stuff to learn when first becoming acquainted with firearms. It's important stuff to review all the time just to make sure it ingrained into your brain. Being safe with your new tools is very important.

Again my apologies if you have already heard it, but it's important. And IMHO it's important to also indoctrinate your kids.

Good luck and welcome to forums. And I hope you never have to use your new found found skills in a way that's not enjoyable.

35DE5B35-FBB7-494A-AFBB-4A75B09436DC.jpeg 0550E200-5BE6-44AB-8DBA-E24237236018.jpeg
Barrel short enough and capacity isues solved . It would get lost in my wife's purse.Dont tell her I said that. This would also make a great coyote hunting outfit from snow mobile. I really need to get back to work soon. All these bright and dark ideas flowing from my jello'd skull are going to drain my bank account.

Last Edited:
View attachment 686007View attachment 686008
Barrel short enough and capacity isues solved . It would get lost in my wife's purse.Dont tell her I said that. This would also make a great coyote hunting outfit from snow mobile. I really need to get back to work soon. All these bright and dark ideas flowing from my jello'd skull are going to drain my bank account.

I believe hunting from a snowmobile is illegal in some states, including WA state

Welcome aboard! As DB. Said when things get back to the new normal in our world get some professional training . Best investment you can make for yourself

I believe hunting from a snowmobile is illegal in some states, including WA state

Montana. On our private property 30 years ago was my last time. Cant think of a law that says you cant shoot after stepping off the sled. I learned from many others in the area. there were even ranchers back then that would pay people per coyote to take care of business. I would never promote doing anything known to me to be illegal. And I never said a word about doing so in this state(wa.). Sorry to hurt peoples feelings. My bad for not including every detail.

Once again to the OP. Welcome aboard.

Montana. On our private property 30 years ago was my last time. Cant think of a law that says you cant shoot after stepping off the sled. I learned from many others in the area. there were even ranchers back then that would pay people per coyote to take care of business. I would never promote doing anything known to me to be illegal. And I never said a word about doing so in this state(wa.). Sorry to hurt peoples feelings. My bad for not including every detail.

Once again to the OP. Welcome aboard.

(2) No person shall operate a snowmobile in such a way as to run down or harass deer, elk, or any wildlife, or any domestic animal, nor shall any person carry any loaded weapon upon, nor hunt from, any snowmobile except by permit issued by the director of fish and wildlife under RCW 77.32. 237.Jun 9, 2012

In Oregon, the law is similar.

Can't speak for Montana.

Welcome to the 2nd Amendment. Your rights are unique and extremely valuable. NEVER relinquish the inalienable right to self defense and gun ownership.

The 870 was my first long-gun I bought decades ago. The 870 is a fine shotgun, and a shotgun is top tier for home defense and other roles given the versatility. It's often said that it's the most singular potent firearm a civilian can easily own. I've got a lot of guns but the shotgun always has a place in my home defense plans. A few quick pointers based on some comments you made:

*Understand (with the weapons we're discussing) there IS NO ONE SHOT STOP so eliminate that from your mentality and vocabulary. You MUST do your part and do it well and repeatedly without mistake.

*Yes, absorb as much good hands on and visual education/training as you can. Even just finding great videos from experts and practice dry at home, understand the weapon and capabilities, etc. is important and useful.

* Shotguns are great for versatility. Understand the limitations and benefits of slugs, various buck-shot, and various bird-shot or game loads. Since you mentioned a home with kids and neighbors with kids, birdshot or even small buckshot #4 load may be what you want. Go right to Youtube and watch videos and learn what these shells do to meat and hard objects like drywall, and how many layers of penetration they will go thru, etc. Any effective bullets WILL penetrate drywall and common household objects - that's just physics. The key is to maximize your defensive capabilities while mitigating your "over-penetration." ALWAYS consider what is beyond/past your target and set up lanes of safe fire accordingly.

* Once you understand the ballistics, home layout is to be considered. Angles of egress/ingress, angles which are safest to take shots, etc. You can position heavy/thick objects like book cases, appliances, etc. in such a manner to give you and your family maximum defense while creating relatively clear and good lanes of self defense fire. Of course if you're in a long-term home, you might reinforce walls with "fun" ceramic tile layers, etc. which is very good at absorbing ballistics. You can buy sheets of ballistic material for strategically important walls, etc. Situations will vary, but put thought into it.

* Code words and signals to share with family so they can take shelter, like a fire drill, etc. can and should be learned and rehearsed. Even having kids "get down" or get behind a full book case, or in a closet behind a thick wood door, etc.

* At some point, sooner rather than later, I'd recommend getting your carry permit, getting a handgun and training, and also right now while you can get an AR15 lower (under $100) and 5.56 30 round magazines while you still can. The AR15 is an excellent affordable weapon that gives you abilities the shotgun doesn't possess. A handgun, shotgun, and AR15 gives a person extremely well rounded self and home defense capabilities. Get training for all these, of course.

This topic is so big it can't be communicated fully in any singular thread and there's many forums, millions of hours of learning, etc. Soak up all you can on this fundamentally important topic.

Welcome, and good luck.

Also when planning home defense, think the scenario through. If I hear glass breaking at the front door, which exact tasks do I need to do to respond? What will the kids do when they wake up to the noise? Will their likely response be to run into the hallway between you and the front door? You might have to run past their rooms to put their doors behind you so you don't unload on a burglar at the moment a family member walks into your direction of fire. Think about how the scenario will unfold, not just the basic "if someone breaks in I will shoot them." If you have a lock on your gun will you need a light to see it? Eyeglasses?

Welcome, very nice blaster, and a 12ga is always a good first choice. Well except for the rabbit hole thing... (he mutters as he goes back to searching the internet for ammo deals and 'roll yer own makins')

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top