JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Welcome! Thanks for supporting the 2nd Amendment! Supporting Freedom! Times like this I think we will be seeing more people who understand how essential our 2nd Amendment is and how wrong those who wish to take away our rights to defend ourselves and our loved ones are.

I actually just moved back to the USA after living out of the country since 2003 and so I was never able to own a gun prior to now. When I got my shotgun yesterday they told me that they had sold so many guns yesterday and the day before, sold out of so much ammo and a lot of purchases were new gun owners like myself but, many gun owners came in getting new guns and taking tons of ammo. I got my shotgun and 10 slugs but tmw I'm going back to get more ammo.

I actually just moved back to the USA after living out of the country since 2003 and so I was never able to own a gun prior to now. When I got my shotgun yesterday they told me that they had sold so many guns yesterday and the day before, sold out of so much ammo and a lot of purchases were new gun owners like myself but, many gun owners came in getting new guns and taking tons of ammo. I got my shotgun and 10 slugs but tmw I'm going back to get more ammo.
That's wonderful Sunshine.. Welcome back.. I wish I could give you a happier welcome, but well, we are in a Global Pandemic :(. Probably good you are here, who wants to be unarmed in a state of martial law, limited resources and panic? I have done some travelling around the world , myself.

Only thing I will say is if you are using a shotgun for home defense, avoid using slugs if you got neighbors around you as they go very far. For self-defense, 00 Buckshot (in situations where you are not as concerned about over-penetration) or #4 Buckshot (if you are in an area with closer neighbors or apartment) are the best. I still worry #4 Buckshot can go through walls though.. BTW, buy lots of ammo! 2 guns and 500 rds of ammo for each is a good start :)

Consider getting an AR for home defense. They are not that complicated as people can say and have much lighter recoil, if you are not use to shooting heavier shotgun round. As well , a good heavier 68gr BTHP 5.56/223 round is a great home defense round. You can also buy ARs for relatively cheap . A lot of FFLs on here in your area who I am sure would be happy to do a transfer for you if you find it easier to get one online now. Check out gunbroker and some online gun shops as well for good deals. Wades in Bellevue probably is a madhouse now and they are not cheap.

Yeah, guns are going to go fast and if there are quarantines they are going to go faster. Wish I could buy even more, but I am financially struggling , so I figured a little more ammo would be better investment.

I actually got mine at Wades lol as they're not far from me. I checked Big 5 too and they didn't have shotguns as they had sold out. I did really like one AR there and I'm thinking of going back to get it. I'll check it again when I go back to get more ammo. I'll have to wait 10+ days for it but I think it will be a good investment. I know more about shooting handguns and rifles than shotguns but I'm not daunted by its recoil as I know how to stand with one.

There are price gougers here, but as of 3/16/2020 there are still some deals to be had.. I left Washington state because of those insane laws of 10 day waits, gun knowledge exams and other 2nd Amendment infringements. Sorry you have to go through that garbage , esp in a time of crisis. These scummy politicians are nothing short of tyrants. You can also order ammo online from several good vendors and gunbroker..

There are lists of FFLs you can literally walk into their shop, garage, home and pick up your gun there after you fill out your 4473.

ARs are horrible, like who really needs a buffer tube and gas in there face. Stoner must have really been stoned

You need something with a bit more bite the 223, hell in most state you cant hunt with anything less then 6mm

Think FAL, HK91.....

FB_IMG_1551161630635.jpg

ARs are NOT horrible. :) Good thread going until @madmax has to bash AR owners. Wow. :eek: The AR is a competition target rifle
capable of perfect scores out to 600 yards. Can you hold the 10 ring at 600 yards with your FAL????:rolleyes:
Shoot like a girl.:p
1584347023620.png

Welcome. Good choice. My son got one last year and shoots it in 4H

Hopefully you get enough time to shoot it and try rifles and handguns. All fun. All different.

Ask questions here people are friendly and we have tons of opinions.

Welcome to the forum.

Disregard some of the posts in regards to barrel length and short barreled shotguns. I'm disappointed in those posts as they could very easily confuse a new gun owner on the legalities of such items. Stick with your instinct on what you want and don't change directions because a bunch of folks said so on the internet.

It definitely sounds like you got your eyes on certain things, good. Listen to your own needs and go from there.

If I could ask, do you plan on buying or already own a reasonable safe? I noticed the cable lock in the picture, is that your key source of security thus far?

You also mentioned having kids? Have you done any education with them? Depending on age, training them to understand firearms could be an invaluable thing to do.

Best wishes to you and yours!

Reno

Welcome from far Eastern yUK. I don't have ANY shotguns - never really took to them apart from the odd need to use one to take door hinges off, but I DO have seventeen rifles and two handguns, not one of which would be the slightest use you you for home defence since you all seem to live in cardboard houses, whereas I live in one made of a double layer of bricks..

Well, maybe the .58cal Artillery carbine from your recent WoNA would be better than nothing, but you'd have to load a second shot very quickly - it's a muzzleloader. Maybe the cloud of smoke would hide you long enough......

Anyhow, as has been noted, there are some joshers here, and some joshees, too, if you are a noob of any kind. Reno's point about mixing guns and kids is a VERY valid one that really needs to be addressed sooner than later, like, uh, now, since you already HAVE a gun the house.

Congratulations and welcome.

My first gun was a Remington 870 12ga and that's what I learned to shoot on. I credit this for becoming a pretty good shot, as I learned to handle recoil and build the muscle memory to acquire targets quickly without using an optic. I started with trap shooting (clay targets) and later on I started experimenting with slugs and buckshot. As I'm sure you already know, there are a myriad of different loads available for shotguns, from hunting, home defense, clay target sports, and even non-lethal. Shotguns are a whole world unto themselves!

Shooting sports are a lot fun, more than most people know. I hope you will enjoy the journey, and fair warning, guns have a way of multiplying like rabbits :)

870_12-18-19.jpg

Welcome and super choice for home defense. When you can, consider researching the "best" shotgun load for home defense. Many consider the slug as "too much" as it will penetrate walls and it requires the most accurate aim. I use #4 Buck myself. Enjoy your 870!

Welcome and good choice on an HD weapon. I will ditto the buck shot over slug, more for spread than wall penetration as both will clear sheet rock easily. If you don't already have a cleaning kit, go buy one. It is very important that you keep your weapon clean, plus you will have the added benefit of learning how to field strip your weapon.

Hopefully someone will come up with an idea for where you can shoot it up there. Being able to have your weapon of choice become an extension of you removes a split second in your thought process in an HD situation, which just may only be a split second.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top