JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I noticed there were no single shot rifle discussion areas so I posted here. I am looking at the steel single shot rifles that Henry makes. I was looking specifically at the 308 and 350 legend calibers. I would like to scope them with low power leupold scopes.Can anyone vouch for the longevity of these fire arms. Will they last an average shooter - say less than three hundred rounds a year for say 30 years. After that I wont carfe anymore.

I have stock notifications for a 308 at several retailers. They have been OOS for over a year now.

I have one of their single shot 12ga shotguns and it's a beautiful, light, good shooting gun. It has become my preferred upland gun over my Beretta A400.

I can't vouch for longevity, but it's a well put together gun and I can't see any reason they wouldn't last. They are super simple, robust actions.

I have stock notifications for a 308 at several retailers. They have been OOS for over a year now.

I have one of their single shot 12ga shotguns and it's a beautiful, light, good shooting gun. It has become my preferred upland gun over my Beretta A400.

I can't vouch for longevity, but it's a well put together gun and I can't see any reason they wouldn't last. They are super simple, robust actions.

I have one in 30-30 I purchased within the last year. Steel model, not brass frame. I can't vouch for the longevity, but my initial impression is favorable. Fit, finish, and function have been good. The barrel is a sporter profile, so it heats up after a few shots. But not an issue as long as you are using it for what it's intended for.

F0E447D7-BFBA-4659-B982-6B1700AA8B45.jpeg 97E47BCB-B36B-47C8-B477-8AF734865C53.jpeg

Yeah, I'm not interested in paying the Gunbroker markups for them, it's not something I really *need.* There's another dealer on there that want's $450.

They are $350 rifles when in dealer stock.
I guess the way I see it - if I want it and I can afford it I will buy it - my time is worth something .
Hope you find what you are looking for.

Yeah, I'm not interested in paying the Gunbroker markups for them, it's not something I really *need.* There's another dealer on there that want's $450.

They are $350 rifles when in dealer stock.
They were $350 rifles several years ago. I think Henry raised the prices on them after the earlier ones had the trigger recall issues. I talked to a dealer who told me his cost had gone up a fair amount on these the last couple years. Maybe they still could be had new for $350, but I couldn't find them at that price.

After looking for a while for one under $400, particularly one locally I could inspect before purchase, I bit the bullet and figured I'd buy one off GunBroker when a few of them became available.

Look at what used Handi Rifles are going for these days!

I can't vouch for the single shot, but I can vouch for HRA in general. Between my kids and I we own 7 HRA rifles. Some a good 20+ years old. Very nicely built and reliable shooters. Their customer service is top notch!

We had one take a hard backward fall off a 3 meter high outcropping and broke a bit of the hammer off. Called in and talked to a real person within a couple rings. They charged me $10 (including shipping) for a new hammer, which I thought was incredibly reasonable... so I asked for a few sets of steel barrel rings. Those where $5 a pop and thrown in for the same shipping.

Later that day I get a call from the company CEO. He was concerned about a break like that and wanted details on how it happened. We chatted a couple mintues and to thank me for my time he decided to toss in a set of 6 of their heavy ceramic camp mugs with my replacment parts.

Probably not the norm, but certainly solidified me as a loyal customer and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Still using the mugs, too. :s0155:

I so wanted a Henry Single Shot Rifle in .30-30...till .30-30 ammo got scarce and the price sky high.
( Never thought I'd see the day )
And yeah I know about re-loading...but I don't want to invest my time and money into it.....

In any event...any of the rifles that I have seen ...seemed well built and with excellent fit and finish.
Andy

I can't vouch for the single shot, but I can vouch for HRA in general.
Ditto this although I only own one I have been satisfied with it from the day I got it and it shoots accurately and reliably.

There WAS a recall of all Henry SS rifles and shotguns a couple years ago and hopefully the problem was resolved and didn't carry on too far.

Longevity ? Doesn't Henry have a lifetime warranty ?
"Black and white"... only for the original owner. My experience... they don't really care or check and seem to follow their promise that they want anyone who has a Henry to be satisfied with their rifles. That could change...

I've enjoyed the Henry single shot in 30-30 I purchased last year, so when I recently had the chance to add a couple more, one in 44, and one in 38/357, I didn't hesitate. Had them out at the range yesterday to ring some steel.

8983B8B5-90FE-4537-A89B-EF29E9AAE3AB.jpeg

I don't know how large the barrel OD is on a 308. The barrels on the 357 and 44 are quite a bit thicker than the 30-30. If the 308 barrel OD is similar to the 30-30, it would seem on the thin side to me. Maybe ask Henry for the dimension, and check with a gunsmith who does rebores as to what thickness is required?

Maybe I will call jes in Creswell. I think a lightweight single shot like these henry in 358 would be perfect. I like Ruger #1s but they are heavier.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top