JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

I got this old Ruger when I was on the bullseye team at OSU. I have personally sent over 30k rounds through it, and who knows how many it's eaten before my ownership.

After shooting today I noticed there was some oil seeping from the barrel where it joins to the upper receiver. There is also some play in the barrel (very small amount.) I am pretty familiar with the gun, and it has never done this before.

These barrels are press fit into the upper right? Is it safe to shoot? Is there a way to fix it?

Here are some pictures. I apologize for the lack of quality.

FpDOJ2f.jpg dThqMIo.jpg

Thanks for any help.

If the whole upper is slightly loose on the lower, it can be shimmed. If the barrel itself is loose in the tubular receiver, It's time to contact Ruger.

The barrels are screwed in---but everything I can find says they are a crush fit thread and a real
pain to change out. Another vote for "Contact Ruger". You might pull the upper and take off
the B-Square mount, then look hard for a crack. That's about the only way I can see that you would
get visible movement between the receiver tube/barrel.

ETA---It's a non stock barrel? Hmmm. Unscrew it and loctite the threads?

OP: A decade or so back I sent my precious 4 digit (1953 build) Standard pistol back to Ruger for some frame issues. They took a Grand Old Pistol and rebuilt it to new specs for a very reasonable price. It is a pleasure & a joy to compete with it, especially in matches where it is older than any three of most of the other shooters.

Tell the factory rep what you want & probably they will make you most satisfied.

It's the latter. You think they would work on a 1950s gun with a non-stock barrel?
I don't think there is a chance. They'll want to keep it and send you a new MK-4 or whatever they are called.

I would suggest you contact a good Pistolsmith and have him/her Silver Solder the barrel back in place.

The gun isn't Stock any more. At the very least they're going to want to replace the barrel; probably with whatever barrel the gentleman wants, but I know I would want the original Custom barrel.

I think I said this already but here goes. I would take it to a Pistolsmith and have the barrel silver soldered back in place.

on my RST4 circa 1953 they replaced the whole frame, tuned up the innards & reblued to as close to original spec finish as I could tell. It was spectacular.

I remain entirely satisfied with the factory service to my little gem.

I remain entirely satisfied with the factory service to my little gem.
Was your gun a Standard or did it have a Custom Barrel? If it had a Custom Barrel I think it would have been another story altogether. They have done some fine work on their older guns, as long as they were Standard.

Great choice. Mine goes with me every time on my weekly range trips. The MKIV design was fantastic.
I haven't shot it yet .
Going Saturday to try it out

But I have only heard good things about it .
That's why I got it .and my mom can use it also . well at least she can charge it .or use the slide easier than my other hand guns .
She can shoot my 9mm but has a hard time working the slide

I was told that the barrel was made by a machinist who got into bullseye back in the 70's. I definitely want to keep the barrel that is on it. It got me the record for best single target back at OSU, and is the heart of this old gun.

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I'll save up for a trip to a good gunsmith.

I haven't shot it yet .
Going Saturday to try it out

But I have only heard good things about it .
That's why I got it .and my mom can use it also . well at least she can charge it .or use the slide easier than my other hand guns .
She can shoot my 9mm but has a hard time working the slide

I have a MKII, MKIII, and MKIV now. My love of the MK design started decades back with an original. Wife bought me a 22/45 LITE soon after they came out and I loved the way it handled. The only difference in the MKIV for me is when it's time to clean it. Whoever came up with that design deserves to get wealthy from it. SOOOO much better.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top