JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've only ever reloaded rifle cases so handgun rounds are very new to me. I'm using a Redding profile crimp die and not sure what is considered "lite" and "heavy" crimps so I've loaded a few dummy rounds in hopes the more experienced handgun reloaders will chime in:). Thanks for the help.

image.jpg

The one on the left has the correct amount of crimp. When you start
seeing that line below the case mouth as in the center and right cases
that indicates too much crimp. I would seat the bullet a little further out.
The cases don't look like they are sized? I don't see the bulge in the case
from the bullet?

Last Edited:
Unless you are limited by cylinder length, I would not set the bullet quite that deep into the case, like ron suggested.
The case on the left is closest to what I would like to see. The other two are crimped way too much.
I can see a little swell from teh bullets being seated, but it would be a good idea to size them and check length before loading. If you're not crimping rifle ammo, you can cheat on the length, but in a handgun that you're going to crimp, it's wise to have all cases the same length.

So is there not a OAL for 44mag in a manual?
In the pic the bullets are Hornady 265gr FP, found three new cases that were already at 1.275" and COAL is 1.610". The cases in the picture are loaded exactly to Horandys specs. Also I'm loading for a Henry lever gun so I'm not sure how much longer I can go and have it feed smoothly.

So is there not a OAL for 44mag in a manual?
Look up 44 mag on the inter net and you will find case ovl and a lot of other info. Been reloading 44mag for over 50 years ~~ only with cast/gas checked bullets. Crimp grove is on those bullets.. The closer to max load the better the crimp needs to be or you bullets will come out on recoil. BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

Just enough to not catch a fingernail when running down. At least that's what Deadeye told me at his kitchen table years ago.

Seriously though the first looks perfect. Run case up and die down until the crimp kisses the neck then just a little more and call it done.

I'm running a little heavy, but also because I'm using these in a lever and I don't want any lip to hang while feeding the pistol.

Handloads on left, factory Hornady Custom on right. Both 240gr XTP's.

image.jpeg

Last Edited:
Your #1 and Dyjtal's hand load look very nice to me. For .44 Mag I like to see the top of the case rolled into the cannelure, but your #2 and #3 are a little over crimped, even for a reasonably hot round. IMHO......

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads