JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got myself into trouble installing a new bolt release on a Mossberg 930 JM Pro (https://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-930-tactical-bolt-release-pad.html). After install, my shell stop is able to release two shells when the bolt release is depressed while the lifter/elevator is in the down (closed) position and bolt closed. Prior to install, the shell stop did nothing when the bolt release was depressed with the lifter/elevator in the down (closed) position and bolt closed. If I reinstall the original part (#15-21) or replace with OEM new parts (#15-18, 21) I have the same issue. Thinking I'm doing something incorrectly during assembly but I'm unable to shake the issue despite reassembling in many different sequences and throwing new parts at it.
I'm hoping some of my fellow Mossberg 930 owners can help me out with a few questions about your shotgun while I try and understand what is wrong with mine:

1) With a dummy round in the magazine tube, lifter/elevator in the down (closed) position and bolt closed, what happens when you press the bolt release?

2) With a dummy round in the magazine tube, lifter in the up (open) position and bolt closed, what happens when you press the bolt release? Does the lifter/elevator make contact with the shell stop assembly (#15,17)?

3) Mechanically, can you tell why the shell stop assembly actuates to release a round when the bolt release is pressed while the lifter/elevator In the up (open) position but not the down (closed) position? Does the shell stop assembly move with both lifter positions?

Thanks!

1635052528495.png

1635052488019.png

#1 - round releases from mag tube on top of the lifter.

#2 - Round releases to unload mag tube. Lifter does not make contact that I can tell.

#3 - Since the shell stop assembly is actuated by the bolt release button, it moves with the lifter up or down.

16924-m930-shell-stop.jpg

Hope you figure it out.

Finally got in contact with Mossberg customer service about this. To my surprise, their only comment was that this is "as designed". Very disappointed. Seems like a big design flaw to have the bolt release actively jam the gun if depressed while in battery.

The customer service rep was very friendly all things considered. Sounds like they are used to fielding calls on this. Their only recommendation was "don't touch it". I suppose they have a point, I hadn't even noticed this was the case in the four years of owning and practicing with the gun..