JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, actually it'll end up three builds from the parts going into this one... starting thinking was one cheap crappy "just to say it was built as a pistol" completion kit for building up my lowers, then as budget allows reshuffle the parts to gradually build up to a .22LR 10.5", a 5.56 10.5" and a vaguely Mk 18-ish 10.3" 5.56 that can fit into a briefcase.

Already in hand/on-order:
--2 EP Armory poly EPL's, assuming they survive machining
--Cheap crappy Tacfire buffer kit
--Aero stripped upper and UPK
--3 Anderson LPK's
--CMMG ambi safety
--VLTOR CASV-EL handguard
--Rustoleum Olive Drab spraypaint

To acquire, known parts:
--Precision Armament AFAB-556, to replace one originally meant for my carbine
--Indian Creek BFD, ditto
--Individual replacement PA Accu-Washers to re-complete set
--3 sets KNS Precision anti-walk pins
--3 sets YHM EZ-pull takedown pins or similar
--Tennessee Arms Liberator hybrid-poly lower
--PSA 10.5 FSB upper
--Diamondhead DHD-1401 rear sight
--Badger 249-02 Tactical Latch
--FAB PTK angled foregrip
--FAB AGF-43S folding maingrip
--Krylon Satin Lagoon spraypaint

To acquire, not yet known...
--10.3" FSB barrel for Aero upper - Daniel Defense, Andro Corp or other?
--Barrel nut/delta ring - DSA makes a special Delta for the CASV, or should I go full Colt it from Brownells? Are these as Brand Finicky as uppers, barrels, etc, or just "commodity parts" like detents etc.?
--.22LR 10.5" upper--any ideas here?
--BCG's--so far my DSA hand-cycles OK, but haven't headspaced or fired, so unsure if I should buy another
--three charging handles, pref milspec
--Two more rear sights
--Two better buffer assemblies, possibly Sig Brace or Shockwave Blade
--Optic--CASV has a .475" riser built in as part of its mount system, so that needs to be taken into account. I prefer EoTech-style big-screen holographic "Head Up Displays," but since there may not be any with thin enough bases to co-witness and this needs to be a compact one for discreet carry I may be stuck with Aimpoint-style tubes.

Possibilities:
--Two belt-loop mag carriers to strap to brace if used?
--LAW Tactical sidefolder?

First phase build, I'm thinking just drop the CASV onto the PSA upper, slap the PTK onto it, and the AGF43 grip and Tacfire buffer onto one of the cheapo EP's. The Aero upper I bought as a learning exercise, trying to grow my skills a little at a time, so it'll be set aside for a while waiting for a barrel. Call this "Gremlin 1.0"--on this one I'll wait on the optic, relying on iron sights
---Parts not yet in-hand: KNS pins, DHD rear sight, PSA upper, FAB maingrip and AFG, BCG, CH
Why "Gremlin"? Got a better name for a nasty little green thing that can bring the pain completely disproportionate to its size?

Phase Two, I'm thinking pick up and snag the Tennessee Arms lower as "permanent home" for the Gremlin's parts, along with the permanent buffer assembly, moving the cheap Tacfire over into the Completion Parts Kit, possibly add the optic here.
--Parts not yet in-hand: Phase 1 plus Badger latch and upgrade buffer

Phase Three, barrel the Aero upper and hand down the PSA to Completion Kit. This of course means re-zeroing the sights... and might be time to add the sidefolder.

Parts breakdown so far, bold parts in hand or on order (black = .22, teal, blue = trainer/sharing 5.56, green = Gremlin)

Lower: EP Armory poly - EP Armory poly - Tennessee Arms hybrid
LPK: Anderson - Anderson - Anderson
FCG pins: KNS Precision - KNS Precision - KNS Precision
TD pins: Yankee Hill - Yankee Hill - Yankee Hill

Mangrip: Anderson A2 - Anderson A2 or non-folding FAB AG43 - FAB AGF43S

Buffer assembly: Tacfire - unknown - unknown
Upper receiver: unknown - Palmetto - Aero
BCG: unknown - unknown - unknown

CH: unknown - unknown - unknown

CH latch: standard - standard - Badger 249-02

Barrel: unknown 10.5 FSB - Palmetto 10.5 FSB - 10.3 FSB, see above questions
Handguard: unknown -
Palmetto M4 - Vltor CASV-EL
Muzzle device: unknown - Palmetto A2? - PA AFAB-556 w/ ICD BFD

Foregrip: none - none - FAB PTK

Any of you guys out there have any suggestions on parts that've worked well for you? More "economy grade" like PSA are fine as two of these are not going to be Serious Work Guns, but I'd also like some ideas about high-end parts for the Gremlin's final rebuild.

Update, it's looking like the fulltime .22LR is getting dropped in favor of plugging an adapter into "Macro-Makita."

Current status on Gremlin 1.0... Bold = in-hand, Italic = on-order, underline = decision made awaiting sale
Lower Receiver 1.0: EP Armory, pending completion
LPK: Anderson w/stainless FCG, substituting Anderson ambi and KNS anti-walk pins
Grip: FAB Defense AGF-43S folder
Buffer assembly: TacFire bargain-bin
Upper assembly 1.0: Palmetto 10.5" FSB
Rear BUIS: Diamondhead 1401
Rear brace, if installed: ??? Undecided between Shockwave Blade and SB Tactical SBX-K
Sling: ???
Primary Mag: ???
Secondary Mag Carrier: CAA MPS, mounted on left-side handguard rail
Secondary Mag: Magpul PMag-40?
Optic: ???
Light: ???
Laser: ???

Questions for decisionmaking:
1. Given that Gremlin is intended to be as small and sleek as a 10.5" AR can get, is the Badger CH latch I like so much reallly worth the extra bulge?
2. Are extended takedown pins worth bothering with here? I'm hoping to get this thing small enough I don't need to knock it down regularly, but part of me still thinks the quick-knockdown option might be worth having.

Items that I really could use some suggestions for low-profile (meaning how long or wide they are is less important than that they hug the rail very closely) gear:
1. Optic. As noted, I prefer big Head Up Display type holosights, but don't know of any that work with the CASV's half-inch riser.
2. Is a light even worth bothering with given my light sensitive eyes? I was looking at one from Primary Arms, but a full inch in diameter is a little big, so size matters here.
3. Anybody out there have any small laser units you've had good luck with? I'd prefer something with the laser centered on the rail and available in both red and green beams. The idea is with red on one side, green the other and both boresighted parallel to the barrel I have a "poor man's rangefinder" simply from sizing up how far apart the dots look in my sight, also no parallax because "halfway between the two dots and a fraction of an inch down is where the muzzle is" if I use the CASV's top-slide slant rails.
4. Primary Magazine. I want to keep a 10-round shorty ready in the well with not much sticking out, the better to say "nope, no gun here." I haven't function-checked the FAB Ultimag that came with TPMC's mag-carrier stock, but I'd like a couple other candidates as backups.

Last Edited:
For the Worthless Without Pics crowd, where it is right now in its project box:
20170426_165716_zpsaaxwfxv0.jpg

Well, not one of the specific questions you asked about, I wanted to share my thought on the brace. I have a Sig Brace, it's nice, well made, but bulky compared to the Shockwave. It would be one thing if the ATF hadn't just this week reversed their decision regarding shouldering the brace. Knowing what I know now, I would go for the sleeker Shockwave.

I had been looking at the SBX-K for the SB option, but after a ridiculously fast answer from Marty at Shockwave I'm leaning toward the Blade if I fit a brace, especially if the end-protector gets ATF approval--didn't get the answer I was hoping for, but telling me what I *need* to hear, especially popping a reply within minutes of my initial note, scores you BIG Customer Service points with me. (As it happens, I found an alternate option for my onboard mag carrier... now I need to figure out how Magpul did that Bacon Pmag for those "Aloha Snackbar" moments.)

Main reason I'm not sure about a brace at all, other than the ATF waffling, is the added bulk period.

Sense this is the thread about AR BUILD does anyone know if there are still north west firearms lowers still available I was looking around the site and can't find them

Be careful with the EP lower I got one of those green lowers and messed it up trying to mill it out using there stupid stickers but I see you got a jig I got one too now BUT TO LATE FOR THE EP LOWER LOL
That's why I bought the jig at the same time... AND bought FOUR of the frickin' things, fully expecting to write-off at least one, more probably two and at worst three. I have to say this is going more smoothly than expected so far, other than the hand injuries... this is the first one, but it's not one yet and plenty of chance for Murphy to sneak in.
Sense this is the thread about AR BUILD does anyone know if there are still north west firearms lowers still available
Um, might be better to ask @Joe Link or @NWCustomFirearms directly. :)

That's why I bought the jig at the same time... AND bought FOUR of the frickin' things, fully expecting to write-off at least one, more probably two and at worst three. I have to say this is going more smoothly than expected so far, other than the hand injuries... this is the first one, but it's not one yet and plenty of chance for Murphy to sneak in.

Um, might be better to ask @Joe Link or @NWCustomFirearms directly. :)
I found them there in the rifle classified thanks

Well Joe link sense I see your watching I was going to contact you are there any lowers available still I have to go into MT Vernon tomarow to the skagit arm's gun store and get the information from them that's the ffl I would have it shipped to

Well Joe link sense I see your watching I was going to contact you are there any lowers available still I have to go into MT Vernon tomarow to the skagit arm's gun store and get the information from them that's the ffl I would have it shipped to
Yes I still have some and they are still available. Pm me or give me a call tomorrow at the shop 3603347200

Now back to our regular scheduled programming...

Thinking about adding a CAA double-rail onto the FSB for light/laser--I figure that might be skinnier than using the CASV's 45-degree slants. Adds a little weight and maybe some snag potential rom the rail corners, but...

I had been looking at the SBX-K for the SB option, but after a ridiculously fast answer from Marty at Shockwave I'm leaning toward the Blade if I fit a brace, especially if the end-protector gets ATF approval--didn't get the answer I was hoping for, but telling me what I *need* to hear, especially popping a reply within minutes of my initial note, scores you BIG Customer Service points with me. (As it happens, I found an alternate option for my onboard mag carrier... now I need to figure out how Magpul did that Bacon Pmag for those "Aloha Snackbar" moments.)

Main reason I'm not sure about a brace at all, other than the ATF waffling, is the added bulk period.

I just dip the tip of my Freedom boolits in bacon grease, helps with lubrication to boot......;)

Project Update with current mockup pic:
312482-b9bade9152ba8c6043a380ea4e591e33.jpg

Bolded parts are in-hand, italic are on-order.
Lower Receiver: Slightly buggered EP Armory (put a 3/32 bit just barely through one sidewall, and mill-bit has chewed up the top plate a little), pending replacement from 3 more EP's and ultimately Tennessee Arms
LPK: Anderson, with AM ambi safety substituted (awaiting KNS FCG pins, YHM EZ-Push TD pins and FAB AGF-43S grip)
Buffer Assembly: Tacfire (awaiting H3 buffer, Shockwave Blade and IC13 Blade End Protector)
Upper Receiver: Aero Precision
UPK: Aero, with FAB LW poly port cover substituted
Barrel: Andro Corp or Daniel Defense 10.3" 1:7, or Strike Industries 10.3" 1:8 Wylde
Barrel nut: undecided (Andro includes w/barrel)
Delta ring assembly: DSA Enhanced
.750 F-marked FSB: undecided (Andro includes w/barrel, preinstalled)
Front Sight Assembly: undecided
Handguard: Vltor CASV-EL
Muzzle devices: PA AFAB-556 brake, PA Accu-Washers and ICD BFD blast deflector
Support-hand furniture: FAB PTK angled foregrip and FAB VTS thumbrest
FSB-mount rails: CAA FSM15P
Mag carriers: 2x CAA MPS, with possible third MPS
Magazines: 1x Magpul PMag-40 (Left), 1x PMag-30 (Right Fwd), 1x PMag-10 (Well)

Updated parts-list and status
Lower Receiver: Slightly buggered EP Armory (put a 3/32 bit just barely through one sidewall, and mill-bit has chewed up the top plate a little), pending replacement from 3 more EP's and ultimately Tennessee Arms
LPK: Anderson, with AM ambi safety, FAB AGF-43S folding grip, KNS anti-walk FCG and Strike Industries LW easy-push TD pins substituted
Buffer Assembly: Tacfire (awaiting H3 buffer) with Shockwave Blade
Upper Receiver: Aero Precision
UPK: Aero, with FAB LW poly port cover and V Seven LW port-door pin substituted
Barrel: Andro Corp 10.3" 1:7
Barrel nut: Andro Corp incl w/barrel
Delta ring assembly: DSA Enhanced
.750 F-marked FSB: Andro Corp incl w/barrel, preinstalled
Front Sight Assembly: Andro Corp
Handguard: Vltor CASV-EL
Muzzle devices: PA AFAB-556 brake, PA Accu-Washers and ICD BFD blast deflector
Support-hand furniture: FAB PTK angled foregrip and FAB VTS thumbrest
FSB-mount rails: CAA FSM15P
Mag carrier: CAA MPS, with possible second MPS
Magazines: 1x Magpul PMag-40 (Left), 1x PMag-10 (Well), possible 1x PMag-30 (Right Fwd)
Optic: ???
Optic Mount: ???
Carry Bag: ???

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top