JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I bring to you the standard question that so many has brought before you many times... I am thinking of an AK47 or even 74 but being new to this specific style of Rifle I have no idea what to look for or what is the best Rifle for the price...

So now I come to you and ask for all of your wisdom and guidance in helping me choose... The best AK, of them all!!!

Tell me which AK rifles you think are top quality
(That being said I am looking for Best bang for the money and absolute reliability and quality out of the box annnnnddd GO!)

Wasr-10, just get surplus wood and done. Out of box, everything important will work and be good to go. But replace the crap wood with good surplus, or go polymer on it. Hell, you can even go wire folder with cheek riser bar if you want.

IMG_3371.JPG

The wasr-10 has a CHF CL barrel, and is made by a factory that makes AKs for their military and others, so you know they know how to make an AK.

For the best bang for the dollar, no need to look elsewhere.

Poland is exporting their AKs to us as of lately. Seems they are the better quality that is a actually getting imported since most Russian and similar imports have been sanctioned.

Look for rifles made at or with WBP parts and you should be ok.

Arsenal is another great manufacturer.

Best budget right now is the Wasr.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ak-47-74-rifles.html

The WBP builds from atlantic are another option. Also beware with Polish AKs, you might still find Pioneer Arms AKs from Poland and those are as bad as the I.O AKs, if not worse.

Figure out how much money you want to spend. You can do quite well for under $600. WASR's are falling into the price range easily. What you don't want to do is spend a grand on some specced out shooty thingy and then realize it's either too pretty to shoot or that you really don't like it.
However whatever you do, don't ask the question, "what type of AR or Glock should I get"? Otherwise this thread will never end.

The WBP builds from atlantic are another option. Also beware with Polish AKs, you might still find Pioneer Arms AKs from Poland and those are as bad as the I.O AKs, if not worse.
Some were imported by I.O. . Pioneer AK is a shame to the AK .Mine was so bad they let me return it and refunded me my $ ..But still lost shipping and ffl fee .I was lucky

Agree with bolus' first question...what's your budget? All great suggestions in the thread, might also consider a parts kit, pick up a NODAK Spud receiver and have it built by a reputable AK builder. Time and a little more money (sometimes about the same cost depending on what "ready to go AK" you are thinking of) may turn folks off to having one built vice bought. There are some great AK parts kits out there, build up to some fine rifles that will last.

Starter to see if you like the platform...WASR-10's are the way to go. Cheers!

Some were imported by I.O. . Pioneer AK is a shame to the AK .Mine was so bad they let me return it and refunded me my $ ..But still lost shipping and ffl fee .I was lucky
The only AK I want that was imported by I.O is the Beryl Archer... I'm hoping Arms of America can work something out with that.

This my favorite AK SLR-107F

I see no reason for a side rail on left side folders and I use an Ultimak rail for optics. Since cheap ammo is no longer available for 5.45 I choose the 7.62.

I won't buy a US made AK, and yeah I.O. sucks worse than most

This my favorite AK SLR-107F

I see no reason for a side rail on left side folders and I use an Ultimak rail for optics. Since cheap ammo is no longer available for 5.45 I choose the 7.62.

I won't buy a US made AK, and yeah I.O. sucks worse than most
The reason is because the side rail was designed for you to take the optic off until its needed. Once tightened to the rail, said optic will always return to zero since it will keep the same tension and won't be able to move to any other position.

Opposite of western mentality where we never really got onto the QD design until (by comparison) recently. The Russians were also not big on cheek welds, if you're ever wondering why their optics sit high...

I wanted the most authentic I could get when I was looking. That meant wood stock/hand guards. Only steel mags, preferably with a bit of wear. I was torn between the N-pap or O-pap. Didn't want lowest price, which was a Wasr. And I didn't want it made in the US. I'm Hungarian but at the time couldn't find a Hungarian made. So I went with this.
POLISH-AK47 RIFLE

Only difference is mine is a 1968 and has lacquered handguards and stock. I like the old school look. Non of that polymer stuff for me. Not even in my handguns, except carry pieces. The gun runs fine, not an issue. Put RS scope mounts on it with a vintage 1949 Lyman Alaskan.

The irony is now the NPAPs have issues with receivers cracking, while wasr-10s just keep trucking on. Cugir stepped up their QC. Also, npaps are cheaper than the wasr now. Unless you get a wasr with the muzzle cap welded on and no bayo lug. Older npaps don't, but the new ones are having issues with it. Either cause QC or something.

Arsenals are more likely to have canted sights now (if you can zero, rifle is fine). And Arsenal in Bulgaria prefers their military contracts since soldiers won't care if the rifle looks bad or has canted sights, as long as it shoots and they can hit their targets with it.

A problem with a yugo ?
The shop beater has 20k + on it running full auto it's a crappy century yugo build that we busted over.
View attachment 476225
We've never had a problem with Factory Yugo's either . Something new ?
The new 2 rivet NPAPs have issues with receivers cracking. Rob had his cracked, the hendersen defense guys in vegas have theirs cracking sooner than other AKs.​

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top