JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ron run's his gun's until they are over the 50k life cycle @ Battle field Vegas they run them until they die.:)

June 2 ·
One of our friends asked us about offering another Battlefield experience in their B-17 Flying Fortress. Guests can open the bomb bay doors and let them drop or shoot .50's from the ball turret or waist gunner's position. #BombsAway #FlyingFortress #OnlyInVegas

And the vegas folk said the new npap receivers crack much sooner than the others. They don't have any of the older NPAPs. Its the new NPAPs that are having problems with receivers being heat treated improperly. The older NPAPs aren't having the issue. Yes they run em till they die in vegas, but they pulled out the NPAPs because the receivers had issues way too soon.

So far it looks like the new 2 rivet npaps are having issues while the old 3 rivets aren't.

At this point with new imports its better to get the wasr. In the used market with the older paps, its all if you care about a chrome lined barrel or not.

Yeah, but at least cugir picked up on their QC. So you're more likely to get a wasr with straight sights now. But CAI puts crappy wood on them. And they don't put the arsenal mark on the trunnions anymore. :(

I wanted the most authentic I could get when I was looking. That meant wood stock/hand guards.
Ah, the authentic... This actually depends on country of origin and timeline. The Romanians, for example, did bakelite for a while. Thev've also done underfolders, wire folders, and polymer. Now its just whatever they decide to give out. Granted most of the polymer would be for their 74s, but you know how it is with militaries and recycling... So even AKMs can be found with polymer.

The wood being the only authentic way went away a long time ago. o_O

So I bring to you the standard question that so many has brought before you many times... I am thinking of an AK47 or even 74 but being new to this specific style of Rifle I have no idea what to look for or what is the best Rifle for the price...

So now I come to you and ask for all of your wisdom and guidance in helping me choose... The best AK, of them all!!!

Tell me which AK rifles you think are top quality
(That being said I am looking for Best bang for the money and absolute reliability and quality out of the box annnnnddd GO!)

i would probably look for a older one even used like a norinco or a maadi the newer stuff even the yugo seems to not hold up or be junk right out of the box. ive seen a couple on here i would have bought if i had the extra money . a nice used older rifle built with forged parts will be much better than new cast and mim parts . if trying to save money you would probably just spend the saved amount trying to get the substandard rifle up to par.

The new wasr-10 is pretty much the 10/63, only with new manufactured parts and better QC. BUT........ CAI no longer uses surplus wood. They have someone else make the wood furniture for them, and its bad wood (too soft).

They still used forged trunnions. Former combloc factories haven't really changed.

The only reason we had the 10/63 was because they wanted to make money off old parts, but couldn't export them to the U.S. So they just made a new receiver and barrel, then used the parts.

The new wasr-10 is pretty much the 10/63, only with new manufactured parts and better QC. BUT........ CAI no longer uses surplus wood. They have someone else make the wood furniture for them, and its bad wood (too soft).

They still used forged trunnions. Former combloc factories haven't really changed.
The wood they use looks like balso wood but it's easy to replace

Yeah... Good excuse to put a wire folder on there. ;)

Downside of the folders is you can't have your cleaning kit in the stock, but mag pouches have a slot for the cleaning kit anyways.

Yeah... Good excuse to put a wire folder on there. ;)

Downside of the folders is you can't have your cleaning kit in the stock, but mag pouches have a slot for the cleaning kit anyways.
Are those Romanian new parts kits that have been on the market from centerfire forged ?

OK, let's say we're looking for "basic Soviet prole-soldier most-common-issue" version on a budget. Rollmarks don't matter on what I call a "Shooter Grade Replica" (as opposed to a true "from-same-parts clone"). Suggestions for my "Cold War Trophy"?

Well, I'm old(er) and into the old sh!!! still too. And, I AM authentic mid 50s. HA!~
Well you see...
?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi36.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fe8%2Fak47nut%2FAK%2520photos%2FDA-SD-06-09062.jpg
Then there's the AMD
amd_63_l3.jpg

Btw, you can tell the American soldier never held an AK before. :D
Are those Romanian new parts kits that have been on the market from centerfire forged ?
Either new or just been here for a long time. Who knows what goes on with parts kits anymore, the ATF has been killing that seen W. Bush.
OK, let's say we're looking for "basic Soviet prole-soldier most-common-issue" version on a budget. Rollmarks don't matter on what I call a "Shooter Grade Replica" (as opposed to a true "from-same-parts clone"). Suggestions for my "Cold War Trophy"?
Find an older Saiga with dimpled receiver and convert it. Otherwise, build from a flat. Tbh, if its just a shooter I wouldn't even bother with a replica and just go with whatever AK you can get that is either imported or built by a reputable builder.

@Boboclown Part of my thinking is for when I get to teaching my classes, I want a Soviet counterpoint to my first-gen M16 "Vietnam Jamomatic." Something that'll look and feel generally right in my students' hands, but won't be too bent-out-of-shape-inducing when I have to replace major components or the entire rifle.

Ah, IICR they had Chinese AKs in Vietnam, as well as Soviet made AKs. They even had a SKS here and there.

But the AKs were milled receivers, had a bare muzzle, and the sling was attached to the gas block.

So it would seem from what I am gathering is... Avoid American get wither a WASR 10 or a N Pap (Would century be acceptable to buy from?)

I appreciate all of the wisdom you guys are sharing for sure!

So it would seem from what I am gathering is... Avoid American get wither a WASR 10 or a N Pap (Would century be acceptable to buy from?)

I appreciate all of the wisdom you guys are sharing for sure!
Century Arms is the one who imports the wasr and NPAP. For the NPAP, get the older one with 3 rivets in the rear trunnion.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top