JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, I've tried searching for the best ruger mkIII pistol upgrades but my stupid droid phone isn't showing me what I am looking for and keeps freezing up. I'm building it up for a "competition" pistol so speed and accuracy is key. I already have a tactical solutions barrel with a burris fast fire 3 optic. I have no idea what to upgrade on the inside as far as internals and what brands are the best and what brand are just good. I am just looking for peoples opinions that way I have some knowledge going into the gunsmith. I am willing to spend how ever much it costs so don't be shy with top of the line brands. Im new to portland and looking for a good gunsmith around here. Any suggestions on good gunsmiths? I used to live in Bend but I'm not willing to drive out there just to get this worked on. Thank you everyone for your input and hopefully you guys can make me a kick *** gun!

keep it like it is, for the amount of money you are looking to spend it's not economically feasable. Buy a good competition pistol don't try to build one, it'll be cheaper and less problematic. A good olympic quality pistol will run between 1000 and 3000 bucks.

Ok, stupid question but when you say a good quality olympic pistol you mean the real olympics or is that the brand? Thanks for the quick reply bud. Anyone recomend a gunsmith in portland area (west side) I still have plenty of guns that need it.

A real olympic quality pistol, Hammerli comes to mind for rapid fire. Usually a dozen or so on gunbroker in the range I mentioned. For slow fire "free pistol" competition the TOZ 35's are available from Century International Arms, under 700 bucks.
There are Hammerli models with electronic triggers, too rich for me but worth mentioning. (the cool factor is up there)

The rugers are fine pistols, don't think I disparage them in any way. If you want to be taken seriously in national/regional competition you need a serious pistol, not something cobbled together. If it's "for fun" competition, ruger makes some very usable pistols.

Do a little research on the type of shooting you want to do, then pick the appropriate pistol.

Build, don't buy!
Do it yourself and take some satisfaction in it. It's not very difficult, it saves you coin ( though that doesn't seem to be an issue), and most importantly, it familiarizes you with your own weapon.
Since you already have the barrel covered, the only thing to do really is improve the trigger group.
I'd suggest the following...all of these items can be researched/ sourced at Rimfirecentral.com

-Lam bushing(hammer bushing...improves trigger feel and eliminates magazine disconnect function...a good thing)
-Volquartsen adjustable trigger
-Volquartsen hammer and sear.

All together, maybe $150. Labor FREE.

If I can do it, you can too. Enjoy the process.

Thank you very much for explaining it coop44. I will deffinitly look into them. The electric trigger thing is deffinitly a cool factor. Meridian7750 I think I will take your advice and check those things out just to get some experiance and so I can get the satisfaction of "building" it myself. Thanks for helping me out guys. This is exactly what I was looking for.

1)There is nothing a volquartsen can do for your trigger that a fair gunsmith can't do cheaper, without buying ridiculous parts.
2)A good target pistol can be adjusted to a few gram trigger pull.
3)a good target pistol is built for a single purpose
4)If you plow a bunch of money into an average pistol will you ever get it out? Not likely, if you can, not easily.
5)If you get a competitive quality target pistol, and decide it's not for you, it will likely hold value well and be easier to trade or sell.

The "do it yourself" crowd seems to be convinced that if you put enough lipstick on a pig it'll get prettier. Love these guys, they put up ads with words like "investment", thinking they'll get back 100% of the money they spent on BS parts, hilarious. They seem to have been "sold" and believe all sales pitches thrown at them. Same guys who will spend $4k on wheels and tires for a $1k car, and then try and sell it for $6k, because ,after all, it's "custom"!! That's what the tire shop told them!

By all means keep your ruger, great pistol for all around shooting. For serious competition? Depends on what the other shooters have.

1)

The "do it yourself" crowd seems to be convinced that if you put enough lipstick on a pig it'll get prettier. Love these guys, they put up ads with words like "investment", thinking they'll get back 100% of the money they spent on BS parts, hilarious. They seem to have been "sold" and believe all sales pitches thrown at them. Same guys who will spend $4k on wheels and tires for a $1k car, and then try and sell it for $6k, because ,after all, it's "custom"!! That's what the tire shop told them!r

By all means keep your ruger, great pistol for all around shooting. For serious competition? Depends on what the other shooters have.

When I was reading this I couldn't help but laugh. Your 100% right. I have been looking at the "pro built" competition guns and I found a couple I like. I also found someone to do a little trigger work for a lot cheaper then buying a bunch of other stuff that will probably only add 15cent on the doller to the gun. It should turn out to be a pretty good rabbit gun and plinker. Once again that you everyone for your opinion. I appreciate your imput and taking time out of your day to respond.

1)There is nothing a volquartsen can do for your trigger that a fair gunsmith can't do cheaper, without buying ridiculous parts.
2)A good target pistol can be adjusted to a few gram trigger pull.
3)a good target pistol is built for a single purpose
4)If you plow a bunch of money into an average pistol will you ever get it out? Not likely, if you can, not easily.
5)If you get a competitive quality target pistol, and decide it's not for you, it will likely hold value well and be easier to trade or sell.

The "do it yourself" crowd seems to be convinced that if you put enough lipstick on a pig it'll get prettier. Love these guys, they put up ads with words like "investment", thinking they'll get back 100% of the money they spent on BS parts, hilarious. They seem to have been "sold" and believe all sales pitches thrown at them. Same guys who will spend $4k on wheels and tires for a $1k car, and then try and sell it for $6k, because ,after all, it's "custom"!! That's what the tire shop told them!

Yeah this is kinda funny

I was looking for another 22 pistol.Love them all. Went to a show and found a S&W 41. Man what a sweet gun. Slide move like butta. Shot match 22s perfect.
So I sighted it in at about 20 yards to get on paper since the last guy didn't have a clue as to how,with some cci match ammo. Then I put some regular Federal in it. Shot OK
I was using a silhouette target with the little one in the corner. Shot all around it bench rested.
So I took out my Mark III target and used the same ammo.

Shot the little guy's head out at the same distance and rest.
Hmm

Target 22s can be finicky about ammo and not always as accurate as those lowly "pigs"

My pig Browning is the same. Very accurate with most any ammo.
And I traded the 41 off to a friend who has 2k of match 22lr

I could spend a lot more and get a tiny bit smaller hole than I'm shooting now with my 'pigs'

41's have always been a litlle iffy as far as target pistols go, kind of hit and miss accuracy wise. that "tiny bit" you speak of is the difference between a 450 score and a 550 score.

Get a hammerli trailside. Better than a ruger and can do it all. It is not a serious competition gun like their bigger brothers, but it costs a quarter of what they do as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top