JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This was my uncles and he supposedly got it whilst in the Navy during vietnam.

We're in the process of cataloging the family guns and I've never even seen this rifle in the collection before. My Dad gave me 3 different possible stories on it.

Arisaka maybe? It has a bayonet and that shield looking thing is loose.
20180223_192415.jpg 20180223_192435.jpg 20180223_192444.jpg 20180223_192454.jpg

Well, it's not exactly like the Arisaka that I own. But it does look a lot like a Type 38 Arisaka which was used by the Japanese during WWII, but picked up off the captured Japanese soldiers. However, it looks more like the Type 99 Arisaka with the bayonet. Sooo, that's my final answer ... but I might be wrong. Good hunting !!

Agreed, most likely a Type 99 Arisaka, one that had the Mum ground off! :( still, they are often nice shooters and many consider them to be a better Mauser 98! Ammo can be tough to find, and make sure you get the correct ammo for it!

Man I had to look up what you guys were talking about, the flower, presumably the manufacturers mark is ground off, yep.

Was that a requirement to import these? What a bummer, was a cool looking proof.

Man I had to look up what you guys were talking about, the flower, presumably the manufacturers mark is ground off, yep.

Was that a requirement to import these? What a bummer, was a cool looking proof.

The Flower was the mark of the Emperor, sort of his devine seal, and the rifles were defaced after the defeat, some say it was out of spite, some say it was out of shame, some say the Allies orderd it! Probably all three!

Thanks for the replies guys. I got that website up and I'll figure out the specifics of year of manufacturer for kicks.

It's a piece of history, which I think is awesome. It's one of the few items I ended up with from my Grandpa/Great Uncle so I'm happy to learn some history.

You DO have the bayonet? If so, please post a few pictures, some of them are extremely rare and valuable, especially if they still have the origional arsenal markings intact and the scabard is present!

We do have the bayonet. The scabard is definitely intact. I was just looking at it tonight but didn't think to get pictures of it.

I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Wouldn't the fact that the seal is ground off suggest that it's NOT a bring-back?

I saw a sporterized version with seal at a local store for $250 within the last year, as well as a standard stock without seal for the same. Might have to add one to my collection some day, the main reason I didn't move then (possibly a bad move) was the cost of ammo... Yowza!

Wouldn't the fact that the seal is ground off suggest that it's NOT a bring-back?

I saw a sporterized version with seal at a local store for $250 within the last year, as well as a standard stock without seal for the same. Might have to add one to my collection some day, the main reason I didn't move then (possibly a bad move) was the cost of ammo... Yowza!

Bring backs would depend on the time they were collected, many were shipped home prior to the surrender and thus, would still have the proper markings unaltered, where as post surrender, many if not most had the Imperial seal ground off! Many bringbacks were sporterised and it't fairly common to find them. I passed a few sporterised 99s over the years, preferrng to find an origional unaltered, but have yet to find one at a good price! :)

You DO have the bayonet? If so, please post a few pictures, some of them are extremely rare and valuable, especially if they still have the origional arsenal markings intact and the scabard is present!

I am so glad this was asked/posted. Thanks kott0n!

I have one that was my grandpa got. I was told it was a bring back. Mine has a bayonet with wooden scabbord. Is there a way to find pricing, etc? Mainly for insurance replacement. I'd never sell it, but do want to find out all the info i can about it.

Should a new thread be started for Arisaka as to not hijack this thread?

I would keep this together, it fits both rifles and accessories, and would be an easier way to track it!
There are almost as many resources for accessories as there are for rifles, once we see some pictures we can better point you to the right resources!
A good place to start is sarco to find out what a normal market would be on origional accessories. For an idea of where prices can go, a standard alterd type 99 bayonet can fetch around $75 to $250 depending on condition and the scabard make up and condition! I have seen an origional type 99 unmodified with wooden scabard and frog completey intact and unaltered fetch as much as $2000!!! Some of the earlier type 38s can be even more rare, and prices reflect that! There were a small run of prewar custom bayonets that were hand made with shark skin wrapped scabards and bamboo handles that can fetch as much as $50000! Most if not all are known of, several were presented to commanders and other high ranking officials of the Imperial army/navy.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews