JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMG_1033.JPG IMG_1034.JPG IMG_1035.JPG IMG_1036.JPG IMG_1037.JPG IMG_1038.JPG IMG_1039.JPG IMG_1040.JPG IMG_1041.JPG IMG_1042.JPG IMG_1043.JPG IMG_1044.JPG IMG_1045.JPG IMG_1047.JPG IMG_1050.JPG

I know the pictures are poor, I can't seem to do much better with my phone indoors and it's dark outside.

This was my grand dads, my dad gave it to me today and knows nothing about it. There are no caliber markings that I can find. There is a serial number of 581 stamped several spots and quite a number of proof marks One looks like a G under a crown, another a acorn maybe and another a sand dollar shape also looks to be 1248 stamped by the proof marks. Also the letters A.G.

The upper barrel is smooth bore, breach end measures .735 muzzle end .640
bottom barrel is rifled and measures .466 chamber, looks rimmed and the OD of the rim is .545 Muzzle end measures .342

I assume its European? Its really beautifully made

Last Edited:
Under lever shotguns / combo guns like that were popular in France , Belgium and some parts of Germany.
Not much of a help ... But I'll hit my books if you like...
Andy

Is there any information that might narrow it down that I could look for? I know next to nothing about weapons of this sort. I know its frustrating for someone to ask for information while providing nothing. I did go put some more detail in the original post ( I uploaded the pictures from my phone and then sat down at the computer to type in some details)

Looking at some markings looks to be French, but what throws me off is the numbers on the stock.
They appear stamped in a different font as well. This is cool. i'm poking around as well.

That is about the most beautiful thing I've seen all week; the craftsmanship and attention to detail on old guns like that never ceases to amaze me. Is it a drilling?

Looks like a crown U and crown G along with a possible 1st and 2nd test mark?? If so it would indicate that it at least made its way through Germany. The crown U signifies single proof for foreign arms and the crown G signifies rifle. Either way it is AWESOME. I will continue to dig around and let you know if I find any additional information with my Google skills.

EDIT:
St. George's Usually accompanied by 'W', 'G' and a knight-and-dragon mark, this slogan identi es the guns made prior to the First World War by W. →Grah of Liége.
????

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class