JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello friends and wealths of knowledge!

I inherited this rifle from my father. I can still remember the Xmas when I was younger that my mom had got the barrel places in a stock to suprise my dad. I'm not entirely sure he ever shot it. Anyway, enough backstory.

The barrel seems to be in perfect shape. Unfortunately I can find very little markings on it. It says 7x57 which I'm assuming is 7x57 Mauser. It has "301" on the barrel left side. I don't see any more writing on it anywhere. I've taken a ton of pictures. Hopefully one of you will have some info!

Can I / should I restock this barrel? I know it probably deserves a new scope.

I've got a ton of ammo for it!

Is 7x57 a good round?

Value of this rifle ball park?

Thank you all again for all the information you have shared with me in the past. In the words of the great Greek philosopher Dora, "I couldn't have done it with out you."

535048EB-4994-4F83-9543-A66F7FC8365D.jpeg 7FD86291-8E19-4BEB-B93E-AE5C80D15C32.jpeg DE0CAD2D-69A6-4C50-85F6-AEE3BE7D814E.jpeg 227A838F-E7AC-4458-BE7F-E4E84ADE03F2.jpeg 9CBEAC66-AD04-49B9-BD9C-018FC2C510A9.jpeg 96336587-0B33-4AD2-8DBC-41AC084C5B0E.jpeg 22C7A193-E808-4F3B-9C40-5F0DA3AB5489.jpeg 5A282A7B-F05C-4255-89F7-8D856167247A.jpeg 0DFB1954-CD0C-4FAA-8319-3A5DEAD0AB47.jpeg

You have what looks like a Mauser 98 that has been made into a sporter.
Lots of different makers of the Mauser 98.
There may be a makers name or code under the scope mount where the barrel meets the receiver....

As for the stock...I'd prefer a nice walnut one.
The 7x57 Mauser round is excellent for most anything you'd care to shoot or hunt.
Ammo is kinda tough to find...and expensive...glad to hear you have 'a ton of it."
Andy

IMHO....*it's beautiful the way it is. And since you have ammo. Go shoot it.

As for what it might be worth. It was your Father's. Why are you even considering selling it? Unless you're "hard up" for money. Stick around for a while and through the years, you'll get the knack of placing "a fair value" on firearms that catch your eye (and/or that interest you). As for the other stuff......well, consider the amount of regret frequently expressed by people who have sold their inherited firearms.

Looking for a hand and fast value? LOL. Take it into a Pawn Shop or Gun Store.

*Original Military configuration normally carries some "collector" value. And some people are willing to pay more if it were still in original condition. Of course, condition and rarity......also play a factor. But, I wouldn't suggest a restoration at this point. As I said, "IMHO, it's beautiful the way it is."

Aloha, Mark

PS.....Nice pictures.

Last Edited:
I don't think this was ever a military Mauser. No thumb relief on the left side rail. Likely a commercial action, beautifully made. Nice butter knife bolt handle, nice custom hinged floor plate, beautiful bluing.
It would look good in a nice walnut stock. Beautiful steel deserves walnut!

Last Edited:
Thank you guys so much for the info an the time to write to me! It will definitely be passed down to my boys, I was just curious. As for restocking it, it does look great how it is but boy are there some nice ones out there!

Re : Post #5

Yeah....you got sharp eyes.

Now. In my mind......it's worth even more (vs before).

BTW, I used to own an Interarms Mark X (commercial action, .30-06) but sold it off. Yeah.....IMHO, it was a mistake. Currently, I own two surplus/sporterized 98 Mausers in .30-06. And, YES. If I had the chance to......I would have loved to talk to the guy that did the conversion/sporterization out of it.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Looks like a inter war era Sporter Mauser Commercial ( No thumb cut out left side ahead of the bolt release) rifle, likely Oberndorf, there are likely markings under the front of the scope mount! 301 may indicate year and date of the sporter, but not sure, depends on who did it
Lots of cool custom touches, the milled bottom metal with trick hinged floor plate and quick latch, Redfield mount and rings, and butter knife bolt handle, it's a keeper!
7X57 Mauser is a potent and powerful round, think of it like a slightly better .270 Winchester, it will do just fine for anything in north America or the rest of the world, short of Africa, and even then, it's no joke!

I would absolutely spend a fair bit to get that in a proper wood stock, you have a few options, Boyds stocks being awesome for the money, they have lots of grades and types to choose from, but plan at least $500 to do what that rifle really deserves!

Not going argue against Boyds, but you might also pop out to H & K Gun Shop in Forest Grove. He has some great blanks for Mausers and you may be able to get something truly custom for around the $500 mark.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top