JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This weekend I traded for a really nice 300 blackout pistol. After looking at what the ammo will cost me to shoot long-term, I'm wondering what exactly I would need to do to convert this to shoot either .223 or the cheap 7.62x39mm rounds? I'm a former Marine who shot a ton of M16's but the ins and outs of these ARs are a bit much for this old guy. I know there are a ton of AR builders on here so a little help will be greatly appreciated. If you can email me at [email protected] or text/call at 503-858-9941 I would appreciate it. Thanks.

...just swap a complete 5.56 upper and your good to go for 5.56 & .223.

If the upper you swap in has a .223 barrel, then you should only shoot .223.

No idea on 7.62x39 swap.

We have an AA complete pistol upper (5.56) with bolt carrier group been thinking on listing for sale...

This weekend I traded for a really nice 300 blackout pistol. After looking at what the ammo will cost me to shoot long-term, I'm wondering what exactly I would need to do to convert this to shoot either .223 or the cheap 7.62x39mm rounds? I'm a former Marine who shot a ton of M16's but the ins and outs of these ARs are a bit much for this old guy. I know there are a ton of AR builders on here so a little help will be greatly appreciated. If you can email me at [email protected] or text/call at 503-858-9941 I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Yep, reloading is almost a must (IMO) to run 300 BLK.
However, it suppresses very well and runs in short barrels very well.

Converting to .223/5.56 would be the easiest. (x39 uses different barrel, bolt and mag)
The only difference that I can think of between 300 BLK and 5.56 is the barrel.
Same BCG
Same mags
Just make sure that your replacement barrel is gassed the same. You probably have "pistol gas".
Simple measuring confirms.

You'll need a few specialized tools to swap barrels so you might want to find a "Black Rifle Competent" smith to do the swap.

The other way is to buy a complete upper and sell off your 300 BLK upper.

Direct drive nailed it. Maybe a good reason to start reloading? If you were further north I would do the barrel swap for you to 5.56 if that is they way you wanted to go. Good luck and the offer stands if you ever get up North in Wa to the Marysville area.

I'll look into barrel swap. It has a syac ordnance gas piston system installed too..

IMG_4904.JPG IMG_4895.JPG

Just a barrel and you are good to go bcg is the same on 5.56/223 and 300 blk, although using go no go gauges is recommeded to check headspace before firing.

Cool. I have a buddy who owns KillerCoating.com down here and he's always ripping apart ARs so I'll try and have him help. I'm sure the Syrac Ordnance Gas Piston System can be adjusted accordingly to fire appropriately. I hope.

at some point i plan on reloading. I would like to reload my .45 and 9mm's as well. I have .357 sig but those would be a bit more of a production i think.
I'd love to see the "spec sheet" on that AR.
I can see BCM on the handguard, could be a BCM grip and by the shape and color, could also be a Geiselle FCG.
I like to see quality parts, tells you something about the builder.

...just swap a complete 5.56 upper and your good to go for 5.56 & .223.

If the upper you swap in has a .223 barrel, then you should only shoot .223.

No idea on 7.62x39 swap.

We have an AA complete pistol upper (5.56) with bolt carrier group been thinking on listing for sale...
If you go to 7.62/39 I know you will need new Mag's they just like AR mags but have more of a curve and I'm pretty sure you will need new BCG and barrel

IMAG0793.jpg by the way if anyone needs this 7.62/39 Mag for a AR PLATFORM let me know I got it a little while ago it was mixed in with some other mags I bought and I don't need it free of charge I only have one P.M. your address and I will mail it to you LOL NO SHIPPING TO THE COMI STATE OF CALIFORNIA THAT WOULD BE ILLEGAL

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR