JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bullpups are kinda sorta SBR, without going NFA.

Manual of arms are faster on AR pistols/SBR's. IMO.

Edit: that'd be neat-o at a much lower price tho. As in 1/3.
For HD, cqb, even truck gun or urban rifle I can't really think of anything better than the sig mpx 300BLK. And it costs the same as the AUG. Only downside I can think of is more gas in your face when firing suppressed compared to some other options. Ar pistol with law folding adapter or similar would do the same thing though at much lower cost fwiw.

3AA2A3F3-01EA-4A29-880E-2E446219731A.jpeg

Last Edited:
For HD, cqb, even truck gun or urban rifle I can't really think of anything better than the sig mpx 300BLK. And it costs the same as the AUG. Only downside I can think of is more gas in your face when firing suppressed compared to some other options. Ar pistol with law folding adapter or similar would do the same thing though at much lower cost fwiw.

View attachment 1833513
Wonder if there is actually any benefit to running .300 BO subsonics suppressed out of a 16" - as in that AUG?

VS

Subsonics suppressed out of a short barrel.

-For an average owner-

Watched a pretty nifty video where a shooter took a short barrel & compared supersonics vs subsonics way out. As in 6/700 yards!

View: https://youtu.be/7c0v6zfyozY

Wonder if there is actually any benefit to running .300 BO subsonics suppressed out of a 16" - as in that AUG?

VS

Watched a pretty nifty video where a shooter took a short barrel & compared supersonics vs subsonics way out. As in 6/700 yards!

<iframe width="1280" height="800" src="
View: https://www.youtube.com/embed/7c0v6zfyozY
" title="300 Blackout- long range capable?" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Good question. I have always considered 300BO to have a rainbow trajectory at any kind of long range. I remember comparing the long range charts on https://shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php

To other calibers and the drops on 300 BO were enormous. I was probably only looking at subsonic though but don't remember. So I've always considered 300BO to be a short range gun (assuming other better long range options are available I mean). I'll watch that video, sounds interesting.

Yah, holdovers get crazy at distance. Pretty interesting watching him do it tho.

That's why I mention for an average owner, of which that fellow isn't.

It'll be a long while (if ever) before I can get out to do a "similar" comparison. Have shorty AR's and a Ruger Ranch. Now that we have suppressors, have to think on ammunition...

Would be interesting.

Seems neat to have a 16" barrel fer good velocity in a short rifle, but AR ergonomics are so much better. I don't want a long fixed stock.

Yep, $600 to $700 and I'd buy it.

Be a cool suppressed coyote rifle. Sub 100 yards that is.
Oh heck yea for that money it would be really fun. If one wanted to be ultra inexpensive could get psa complete lower ($169 on sale with brace) + bear creek arsenal 8.5" or 10.5" 300BLK compete upper ($169-$189 on sale) + sylvan arms folding adapter ($120 on sale). That woudl give you a tiny package for about $500. But it wouldn't fire with brace folded for what that's worth (primarily truck gun/vehicle application I would think for that need to fire when folded).

Oh heck yea for that money it would be really fun. If one wanted to be ultra inexpensive could get psa complete lower ($169 on sale with brace) + bear creek arsenal 8.5" or 10.5" 300BLK compete upper ($169-$189 on sale) + sylvan arms folding adapter ($120 on sale). That woudl give you a tiny package for about $500. But it wouldn't fire with brace folded for what that's worth (primarily truck gun/vehicle application I would think for that need to fire when folded).
Wouldn't fire with brace folded... unless...

This would effectively double the cost of your above list, so ultra compact would need to be a priority.

Wouldn't fire with brace folded... unless...

This would effectively double the cost of your above list, so ultra compact would need to be a priority.
Yea I hear you on doubling the price. If that much I woudl tend to go with brn-180 300BO complete upper or maybe psa jakl if they make them in 300BO now. Or maybe a foxtrot mikes bufferless complete upper if it's in 300 BO now. All have no buffer.

Yea I hear you on doubling the price. If that much I woudl tend to go with brn-180 300BO complete upper or maybe psa jakl if they make them in 300BO now. Or maybe a foxtrot mikes bufferless complete upper if it's in 300 BO now. All have no buffer.
Absolutely. Not sure either the jakl or foxtrot is available in 300 yet.

VS

-For an average owner-

View: https://youtu.be/7c0v6zfyozY
Not really, I guess the little bit extra velocity but I would imagine that also works to the detriment of the idea of the subsonic load.

You can still be subsonic with some loads with a 16" barrel, I do this pretty regularly in my 300blk MDRX. Sigs 220g ammo is also tested for 16" barrels.
That's awesome info thx!

People often mistakenly think 300BLK tops out at 10" or whatever and that is incorrect. 300BLK has higher energy than .223 for short barrel lengths, and somehow that got mistakenly twisted to mean something different. It does better at short barrel lengths because it starts out with more energy than 556. See the chart below the curves are damn near identical between 300BLK and .223 but 300 BLK has more energy to start with.
EF990AE9-F049-4A70-877C-562F547B8D09.jpeg

Last Edited:
People often mistakenly think 300BLK tops out at 10" or whatever and that is incorrect.
I think people are generally just regurgitating what AAC (or more specifically Kevin Brittingham) originally said when he developed the 300blk. In listening to him talk about it, he generally says 9" is the sweetspot. However, that was as it related to available loads from when it was released around 2010-ish and assuming it being run suppressed.

I listened to and read a lot from Kevin when I did my first 300blk build. More recently, listening to him talk about his R&D process for the 8.6 blackout was super interesting.

I think people are generally just regurgitating what AAC (or more specifically Kevin Brittingham) originally said when he developed the 300blk. In listening to him talk about it, he generally says 9" is the sweetspot. However, that was as it related to available loads from when it was released around 2010-ish and assuming it being run suppressed.

I listened to and read a lot from Kevin when I did my first 300blk build. More recently, listening to him talk about his R&D process for the 8.6 blackout was super interesting.
Agree 8.6 BLK is a really interesting round. Crazy fast twist rate causes crazy things in gel with subsonics. With certain bullets at supersonic the 1:3 twist rate causes it to scream right through 3 16" gel blocks without even noticing. I have a feeling that some really high twist rate armor piercing rounds will come out for the military within 10 years.

Agree 8.6 BLK is a really interesting round. Crazy fast twist rate causes crazy things in gel with subsonics. With certain bullets at supersonic the 1:3 twist rate causes it to scream right through 3 16" gel blocks without even noticing. I have a feeling that some really high twist rate armor piercing rounds will come out for the military within 10 years.
Yep, the 1:3 twist is really what first got my attention. Turns out they actually tried a 1:1 during initial development... now that's wild.

I'm curious to see how and/or if it'll gain traction in the military. I know some of the spec ops divisions have run the 300blk, but I'm not aware of the 8.6 making its way in yet.

That's awesome info thx!

People often mistakenly think 300BLK tops out at 10" or whatever and that is incorrect. 300BLK has higher energy than .223 for short barrel lengths, and somehow that got mistakenly twisted to mean something different. It does better at short barrel lengths because it starts out with more energy than 556. See the chart below the curves are damn near identical between 300BLK and .223 but 300 BLK has more energy to start with.
View attachment 1841193
People will take things out of context too. They hear complete burn around x inches and think it gains nothing after that. While after a certain point it'd start to lose energy, its certainly not at 16".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top