JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seems pretty simple for those who are over the top scared to death of people being allowed to pump gas. Just don't do it. Did I miss something? Are they trying to pass a law to force people to pump their own gas? For anyone who is scared to touch the pump handle did they outlaw having some kind of hand wipes in the vehicle? I guess we really need a law to keep people like this from handling a gun. :s0092:

The horror

157451fb1550e72fc7e485a54153f6ea.jpg

I hear lead is fairly nasty, I'd better drop a certain hobby...
:D does your car run on lead? A lot of people died early from smoking cigarettes because they chose to. Just saying, folks will do what they want and if it kills them then it's their choice to die that way. However you would hope the choices are made with informed consent.

Yes please... let me pump my own. In regards to people not knowing how to use it... then they shouldn't be driving. Filling a car with gas is like plugging in your iphone to charge so you can use it.

There would be a lot of idiots sitting at the pump waiting because they don't know how to use it.

Yeah, I'm sure a lot stupidity will be going down at the pumps in the coming years. Wonder how many will devolve into shootings.

I was up in Goldendale getting gas (60 gallon tank), these two millennials from Oregon pull up at the same time and the lames can't figure out how to pump their own gas so after fiddling with it for about 10 minutes they had to walk in and ask the attendant for help. You can tell the guy was super-thrilled to out there giving gas pumping lessons to a couple of "adult males". He looks over and sees me grinning and just rolls his eyes, shakes his head and looks down...total palm face without the palm face. :s0140: Even with my big ol' tank I get out of there before they do, but of course the idiots had to pass me down the road doing 95mph, I guess ten above the speed limit wasn't fast enough for them.
Several years ago, a friend and I stopped in Naches, WA, to gas up our bikes on our way to Yakima. There was an older woman on the opposite side of the pumps who asked us if we'd help her pump her gas. She explained that she was from Oregon and had never pumped her own gas before. She was in her sixties, at least. We didn't have a problem helping her out.

If it had been 'adult males' like you mentioned, I'd have said, "Google it" and ridden away.

My wife doesn't like pumping her own gas into her car. She is comfortable pumping (with an electric pump from our farm tank) gas into the riding lawn mower. Go figure.

By the way, none of my vehicles have ever had scratches or dents from "pump jockeys" in 55 years of driving. I guess I just haven't had the kind of vehicle that inspires people to scratch. This includes a restored Model A Ford (everyday driver for 8 years) and a classic Thunderbird convertible.

I don't mind pumping my own gas, except in cold and rain, snow, freezing temperatures, hot days, hot sun, high winds, and late at night in urban areas. I guess I'm just an Oregon Wimp!

My cardlock seems to charge as much for self-serve as the stations with pump jockeys. Except Costco, which is much cheaper than any of the others. You'd think the cardlock would be as cheap as Costco, because of the labor savings.

I see it as an inconvienience. Sometimes you sit there and it takes 15mins for someone to get to you.... when full another 15mins for someone to come by and check. Or you have workers that open your gascap. Then you have an attendant telling you that your filler neck is messed up because the pump shuts off constantly.
Or you show up in a classic car and have to do smalltalk while you wait to be served, wait to be filled, wait to get a receipt.
Needless to say I'd rather pump my own and cut the 30min deal down to 5. It literally tells you on the screen what to do....Grew up pumping my own gas.

Just wait till you guys get a load of what's happening in the aviation world, the massive Gov, Mandates for Un-Leaded Av-Gas 0L -94 ( Un-Leaded, 94 octane ) to replace our LL-100 Low lead!
The feds are playing fast and loose, pulling permits and making threats, and getting kicked out of counties who hold the operating authority for airports in most cases! Basically, the entire industry isn't ready for the lower octane fuel and the supplies are not there anyway, and on top of all that, the prices will go up at least 25% on top of the premium prices we are forced to pay, today was $5.30 per gallon, up from $4.99 just a month ago, Thanks Biden!
Then there is the costs of up fitting our aircraft to handle this new fuel, and then tuning for the lower grade, and even worse, if they start blending for E-85 or like, that's going to cost big bucks to make the switch!

I got smart when I built my latest, I wanted to be able to run auto fuel, including E-85, so I could get fuel in the back country at just about any road side gas station, so I spent the money then to upgrade my fuel system so at least i'm ready for the coming changes, and the other bonus, not having to pay the premium price at the local air park or air port FBO!

Hey I am good with those who want to save a few cents pumping their own gas. Let freedom ring.
I don't know how this will shake out in Oregon. But after I got out of the Army in Dec 1968 I found a really good job

in San Francisco based on my military training. Shortly thereafter I was offered the NW to manage for that company.

I took it and got out of the Bay Area. And this was at the time Cali was beginning self service gas pumping. It was

touted as being a money safer as they would have less people to pay at the gas stations. Just the opposite happened.

Now it could have been coincidental with other factors but gas prices in Cali went up a bunch as soon as that

legislation was enacted.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads