JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got this from the NRA

Oregon's House Judiciary Committee is expected to hear two pro-gun bills on Wednesday, February 16, at 1:00 p.m. in Room 343.

House Bill 2506, sponsored by state Representative Bruce Hanna (R-7), would allow a person possessing a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) to operate an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a loaded handgun.

House Bill 3002, sponsored by state Representative Wayne Krieger (R-1), would provide non-residents who are licensed to carry a concealed handgun the same protections as those with an Oregon CHL, as long as the other state uses the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.

I would love to see both of these pass. Oregon's lack of reciprocity regarding concealed firearms hurts CHL holders because reciprocity would allow them to carry in a number more states.

So.....how many states don't use the ncis or what
ever?
I went last time at 1:15 (NRA) said it started at 1:30.
And wouldent you know it the time was changed to
1:00...???
This time they say 1:00.Ill be their at 12:30.....
But I'll bet a silver piece thay will bump to 1:30

I would rather not have to cary a CHL but if I must
do all CHL states do that backround stuff thay are
talking about?

I can't think of any that issues a permit without that check. Some use the permit as a basis for avoiding a waiting period because the person has already passed a check.

For a NW issue there sure aint much buzz.....
When I went last time they had it in the smallest
hearing room thay could fined(50 peeps only).

I would think that 200-300 folks showing up would
help....even though all wouldent get in most could
watch the monitor.

I don't know who you would talk to....congressmen,senitor?

So is it agreed that most if not all states use the NIBC?

For a NW issue there sure aint much buzz.....
When I went last time they had it in the smallest
hearing room thay could fined(50 peeps only).

I would think that 200-300 folks showing up would
help....even though all wouldent get in most could
watch the monitor.

I don't know who you would talk to....congressmen,senitor?

So is it agreed that most if not all states use the NIBC?

My guess for the lack of support is simply because 3002 is not taking any of our
rights away.

My question is about 2506. I ride concealed. To my understanding I am perfectly legal
unless I am at a location that doesn't permit like certain Parks or wild life reserves or others that I care not to lookup. Since when does it matter what I am riding? I will have to look up the HB.

My question is about 2506. I ride concealed. To my understanding I am perfectly legal
unless I am at a location that doesn't permit.

Unfortunately it is illegal in Oregon to carry a loaded gun (concealed or otherwise) when riding an ATV (even with CHL). Doesn't matter where; if it is in Oregon it is illegal.

The fact that we need to obtain a CHL
is loss of rights...
If one has a CHL in Ore. One best get on bored
I would get my UT.CHL but time,money and the
idea that I need to get a permit to protect
my self and family....in the USA...."shall not be
infridged" I think that's how it go's.

It's funny how someone thought up"aaaa..no loaded
hand guns on ATV's ....:s0114:
So how about it?
We all show up at 12:30 on the capital steps?

What is considered loaded? One in the chamber? Magazine or cartridge in the rifle?

J

I checked it out last year when we bought ATVs. Can't remember the link, but what I came away with is that a loaded magazine had to be removed from the gun, and nothing in the chamber of course. So I just keep everything in an easily accessible tank bag.

I checked it out last year when we bought ATVs. Can't remember the link, but what I came away with is that a loaded magazine had to be removed from the gun, and nothing in the chamber of course. So I just keep everything in an easily accessible tank bag.

Do you know what their definition of an ATV is? UTV the same ? Dual Sport Bike? Golf cart? John Deere?

J

Do you know what their definition of an ATV is? UTV the same ? Dual Sport Bike? Golf cart? John Deere?

J

If I remember from when it came up the law was pretty broad. I think it included most everything used offroad. I think it was because of how they define all terrain vehicles by weight.

Now I got curious and had to look it up:

ORS said:
821.240 Operating snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle while carrying firearm or bow; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow if the person operates any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle with a firearm in the possession of the person, unless the firearm is unloaded, or with a bow, unless all arrows are in a quiver.

(2) The offense described in this section, operating a snowmobile or an all-terrain vehicle while carrying a firearm or bow, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §729; 1985 c.393 §45; 1985 c.459 §31a; 1987 c.587 §14; 1989 c.991 §15a; 1991 c.589 §1]

ORS said:
801.190 "Class I all-terrain vehicle." "Class I all-terrain vehicle" means a motorized, off-highway recreational vehicle 50 inches or less in width with a dry weight of 800 pounds or less that travels on three or more low pressure tires, has a saddle or seat for the operator and is designed for or capable of cross-country travel on or immediately over land, water, sand, snow, ice, marsh, swampland or other natural terrain. [1985 c.459 §2; 1995 c.775 §9; 1997 c.228 §1]

801.193 "Class II all-terrain vehicle." "Class II all-terrain vehicle" means any motor vehicle that:

(1) Weighs more than a Class I all-terrain vehicle;

(2) Is designed for or capable of cross-country travel on or immediately over land, water, sand, snow, ice, marsh, swampland or other natural terrain; and

(3) Is actually being operated off a highway or is being operated on a highway for agricultural purposes under ORS 821.191. [1987 c.587 §2; 2005 c.227 §1; 2007 c.207 §1]

801.194 "Class III all-terrain vehicle." "Class III all-terrain vehicle" means an off-highway motorcycle with a dry weight of 600 pounds or less that travels on two tires. [1989 c.991 §2]

801.190 “Class I all-terrain vehicle.” “Class I all-terrain vehicle” means a motorized, off-highway recreational vehicle 50 inches or less in width with a dry weight of 800 pounds or less that travels on three or more low pressure tires, has a saddle or seat for the operator and is designed for or capable of cross-country travel on or immediately over land, water, sand, snow, ice, marsh, swampland or other natural terrain. [1985 c.459 §2; 1995 c.775 §9; 1997 c.228 §1]

801.193 “Class II all-terrain vehicle.” “Class II all-terrain vehicle” means any motor vehicle that:

(1) Weighs more than a Class I all-terrain vehicle;

(2) Is designed for or capable of cross-country travel on or immediately over land, water, sand, snow, ice, marsh, swampland or other natural terrain; and

(3) Is actually being operated off a highway or is being operated on a highway for agricultural purposes under ORS 821.191. [1987 c.587 §2; 2005 c.227 §1; 2007 c.207 §1]

801.194 “Class III all-terrain vehicle.” “Class III all-terrain vehicle” means an off-highway motorcycle with a dry weight of 600 pounds or less that travels on two tires. [1989 c.991 §2]

I think this law is absolutely rediculous. I will definitely be supporting both of these but would like someone else's opinion. When it says "Off-Highway", that mean not licensed for the road? Correct? That means it would be OK to carry loaded on licensed and registered dual-sport classIII all-terrain vehicle. According to the definitions of the law?

J

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads