JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
And then ... did?

If so, what's your story?

Mine is the Ruger Mini-14/30.

Back in the late 70's/early 80's I bought a Mini-14, mostly because it didn't "offend" my dad like the AR-15 did. Not that I really cared about that, but he get on rants about how it isn't "a mans gun" would get old.
Honestly, if I'd never shot an AR-15 I'd have probably been semi-okay with it, because the accuracy at 100 yards 4-6" BUT an AR was 1-1.5 at least until the pencil barrel started heating up.
Keep in mind, the AR was still considered a "Mouse a gun" there was nothing custom available for it, they all had a A1 uppers, a 7 pound trigger and very few had 16" barrels and a collapsible stock ... But for all its short comings it stood over the mini, so NEVER AGAIN!

Then along came the mid-late 90's and the Internet and once again the battle within was stired. This time it was a Mini-30 (7.62x39) but yet again, it came up against my Colt in 7.62x39 and again, it couldn't hold a candle. It's only redemption was the 20 round mag because I couldn't get my Colt to feed reliably with anything but a 5 round mag, not even the Franken-mags with an AK mag body welded to the AR mag top.
But besides that an AK was more accurate, which of course that gave dad the "Commie Gun" argument.
Again ... NEVER AGAIN!

Then, along comes a local gunshow, September 14, 2019, and there (in my mind) just looking drop dead georgeous, Stainless in a Choate folding stock; I was thunder struck.

IMG-0008.jpg
IMG-0010.jpg

And for the "repeat offender price" of $625, I just couldn't leave it there. Even as I was walking out the door, I couldn't believe I'd bought another.

I haven't been able to get it out for accuracy testing, but I was ringing 8" steel at 150 and 12" at 200 yards. For me, to really test its accuracy, I'd have to scope it ... but, knowing it'll probably just piss me off (it was produced in 82-83) , I think I'll just keep it simple and scope free.

Everything I own I'd buy another of for the right price if I had got all of my bucket list guns already.

But my disposal income is minimal so I tend to do a lot of research before buying anything.

Yea, bought a few M-1 Carbines, even though I'm not really a fan! Sold them a few years later for a little more then I paid, but I kept buying them! I would literally pick through a 55 gallon barrel for the "Good Stuff" and then hold on to them for a few years, then eventually sell them! Imagine my shock after 20 years of "storing them" in the back of my safe to find the values had skyrocketed! Last one I sold netted me $4000! Yes, I do have two left, and will be keeping them!

The AR-180 is another one, cant seem to keep them, but then I find a good deal on one and I drag out the wallet and drag it home with me! :D

10/22s. I've owned probably a half dozen. For some reason I get excited about once every year or two and buy one. Then promptly sell it. :rolleyes:

I'll admit the one in my safe right now has probably been mine the longest. :)

Yeah, remington rifles. Had my fair share of remington failures. Mainly extractor issues:failure to extract. It didnt matter, it seemed like all of them were crap. The 722, 788 and 700. I swore id never buy another.......and for damn good reason. I choose to use rifles that work now.

Nope; the collection has always been fluid and eclectic. If I promised myself not to acquire a particular piece, I know I'd likely, with few exception, be engaging self-delusion, which is not a healthy place to be. I acquire what I like, sometimes with an intense pursuit of a particular niché or concept, only to abandon said later sometimes. Rinse and repeat. Oh, the main and plain preparedness and defensive pieces are always covered, but the hobby ones are just for fun. And considering how little time we have on this Earth, who cares. Enjoy the ride, smile, and don't worry friends. :s0155:

Not a rifle, for me it was Kahr pistols. The 45 was decent but the 40 had problems. Sure, the triggers are smooth but the long reset is ridiculous. If I want less than 8rds and a DAO trigger I'll just get a revolver.

Never again.

Their 9mm isn't much better. Oh, and the grip angle you could square up cabinets with doesn't help either. :rolleyes:

This thread should not be limited to just "rifles". Maybe change the title and include pistols, shotguns, etc?

I acquire what I like, sometimes with an intense pursuit of a particular niché or concept, only to abandon said later sometimes. Rinse and repeat.

This has been a recurrent theme for me. "Gotta have it, gotta have it." Get it, then, "Eh." In later years I've discovered what has been a truth for me. That the harder I look for something, the harder it is to find. If I quit looking and adopt a give-a-damn attitude, sure as God made little green apples I will soon be stumbling over whatever I've previously been looking for. Another thing I've discovered about myself, wait a day. Sometimes what I wanted on Day One I no longer want on Day Two. But these things are generalizations. There are guns that I've liked, whether I own one or not, for many years.

One funny one that I've owned. Iver Johnson Target Sealed 8. Inexpensive but well made .22 revolver from early 1930's to mid-1950's. Pull-pin cylinder for loading. Their motto, "Hammer the Hammer" because it had a transfer bar safety. Or at least the early ones did. As the name implies, eight shots. I bought one of these around 1968 for next to nothing. Sold it to a co-worker from Britain. I ran into him a few years later, he'd gone back to Britain in the meantime and returned. Just before he went back, he had the Iver Johnson with him. Knowing he couldn't take it on the plane or into Britain, he buried it in the flower bed at a hotel in New Jersey.

Strangely enough, I was visiting a great aunt in 1972. Her husband had been a sheriff's deputy in Harrison County, Iowa. She told me she still had his duty gun and would I like to see it? Of course I would, thinking it might be something neat. You know what's coming next. What she took out of a drawer was an Iver Johnson Target Sealed 8 in a leather holster. Imagine that, it was carried by an LEO.

Once in a while, I see a Target Sealed 8 for sale here or there. Saw one recently at Cabela's in Marysville. But I would never buy another one.

Yea, bought a few M-1 Carbines, even though I'm not really a fan! Sold them a few years later for a little more then I paid, but I kept buying them! I would literally pick through a 55 gallon barrel for the "Good Stuff" and then hold on to them for a few years, then eventually sell them! Imagine my shock after 20 years of "storing them" in the back of my safe to find the values had skyrocketed! Last one I sold netted me $4000! Yes, I do have two left, and will be keeping them!

The AR-180 is another one, cant seem to keep them, but then I find a good deal on one and I drag out the wallet and drag it home with me! :D

I always did love those rifles. I still kick myself a little for not keeping at least one. Back when nice ones were so damn common. Damn when I see what they run now days, wow.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top