JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Have you attended training?

• Yes, plan on attending more.

Votes: 91 74.0%
  • Yes, but no more.

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • No, but plan on it.

Votes: 18 14.6%
  • No, and don't intend to.

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters
Military training is hardly a medium to go by. My lack of training to my own, personal, standards is what got me into firearms in the first place.

Where in the battlefield are there foxholes with lined sandbags? What about targets that pop up in a set rotation and stay static other than to pop up and down? What about them being at fixed distances staggering every 50 meters?

In a combat situation, you use whatever cover is available- mostly you would be standing or kneeling. Live targets move left to right, up and down and move at variable speeds and at lateral obliques. Firing one bullet at each target should be done with a bolt action M40 sniper rifle, 300 meters and up- not with an M4/M16 with multiple targets between 50 to 300 meters.

I don't talk much about it but unfortunately I had both types you mentioned. It is not a pleasure and I feel I was trained correctly because I am here typing this. The only real training is the real thing because you will never know how you will react until it really happens.

I don't talk much about it but unfortunately I had both types you mentioned. It is not a pleasure and I feel I was trained correctly because I am here typing this. The only real training is the real thing because you will never know how you will react until it really happens.

NO ARGUEMENT HERE...after seeing a 20-year in SFC drop his gun and run, you begin to realize who are the talkers and who are the doers.

W..T.. F?!!! :angry:

That isn't the half of it...after realizing he ran like a little coward from the battlefield and into my truck (we ran out of ammo and had two casualties to include my gunner) he jumped out and reorganized a bunch of guys to do a counter-offensive that was also med-evacing my squad leader (but their truck ran out of gas on the way) Once I loaded my SL into the truck, he commandiered a local vehicle and went back into contact...however, as soon as they came back into contact he fled AGAIN- this time leaving a guy behind to die.

RIP PFC Jerod R. Dennis

PFC Dennis died providing cover fire for his commrades...he was an M249 gunner that held back a force of about 12 Taliban fighters from over-running his possition. After he ran out of ammunition, he prepared an M67 fragmentation grenade and held it in waiting to be overrun.

He was willing to die for his commrades...

The true heroes are the ones that never made it back.

Sorry for the thread hijack...kinda brings back stuff reading his memorial page and remembering that day.

I have nearly shat my shorts (literally) a few times in the jungles of "Lateen Amerika" (back in the 80's) but you push through it (no pun intended) and support your buddies to the death, cuz that's all there is... on any battlefield. I hope the SFC's actions were reported to the chain... cripes.

You want some good shotgun training... get yourself out there and DUCK HUNT... man them suckers MOVE!!

I agree. Some of the best shotgun marksmanship (if there is such a thing) training out there. So are doves. They can fly up to 55-60 mph and are a small target. If you can consistently bag those, then I'd say you'd have no problem hitting a man-size target quickly at the appropriate range.

I could use more training myself. I've had extensive training in the past but it's been awhile, gettin' a little rusty, and the machine could use some oil. I've been thinking about attending the courses that Clackamas Co SO offers that Trlsmn was nice enough to post on the boards recently. I had no idea they did all that. And so inexpensive and conveniently located near my job. Maybe go back and do some of the fundamental course with my wife so she can learn and I can refresh. Fundamentals are always important. High speed, lo drag kicks *** but you can't do it without a solid foundation in the basics.

I have nearly shat my shorts (literally) a few times in the jungles of "Lateen Amerika" (back in the 80's) but you push through it (no pun intended) and support your buddies to the death, cuz that's all there is... on any battlefield. I hope the SFC's actions were reported to the chain... cripes.

They knew about it....but the SFC had more dirt on his Commander after he accidently called an airstrike (1,000lb bomb) on a house because he couldn't read a map to save his life.

Clicky

Then people wonder why I got out...:s0131:

Military training is hardly a medium to go by. My lack of training to my own, personal, standards is what got me into firearms in the first place.

Where in the battlefield are there foxholes with lined sandbags? What about targets that pop up in a set rotation and stay static other than to pop up and down? What about them being at fixed distances staggering every 50 meters?

In a combat situation, you use whatever cover is available- mostly you would be standing or kneeling. Live targets move left to right, up and down and move at variable speeds and at lateral obliques. Firing one bullet at each target should be done with a bolt action M40 sniper rifle, 300 meters and up- not with an M4/M16 with multiple targets between 50 to 300 meters.

That may be the basic level of training that the Army delivers. Maybe if you were in a high speed low drag unit then you'd have a different outlook on military training. I know that I received some pretty amazing training when I was in but then again I was in specialized units that are the tip of the spear not the splinter behind the handle.

That may be the basic level of training that the Army delivers. Maybe if you were in a high speed low drag unit then you'd have a different outlook on military training. I know that I received some pretty amazing training when I was in but then again I was in specialized units that are the tip of the spear not the splinter behind the handle.

lol, good for you...since you're up then, can I get some peas and potatoes? Or can I still only get one starch?

...every man I ever ran into from Vietnam was either a sniper or recon. Where did all the damn cooks go?
-13 Cent Killers: The 5th Marine Snipers In Vietnam by John Culbertson

LMAO... that was righteous! :s0155:

lol, good for you...since you're up then, can I get some peas and potatoes? Or can I still only get one starch?

Nice try, I sure wasn't a spoon. I was a grunt in Ranger Regiment and spent 4 years in the 82nd. S'ok though, I'm used to people acting like that to me because I used to wear more on my BDU's than they had on their Class A's.

Nice try, I sure wasn't a spoon. I was a grunt in Ranger Regiment and spent 4 years in the 82nd. S'ok though, I'm used to people acting like that to me because I used to wear more on my BDU's than they had on their Class A's.

It's been my experience that those that hop on online forums to brag about their "training" are full of something that had to be flushed twice to go down.

I was in the military. Between that and the groundwork that my father laid when I was a litte guy, I feel like I have a strong enough foundation that I don't need to go drop a chunk of change on some uber-tactical course. If I want to, I can go into the woods/desert and set up my own little course, and do my own drills. Of course, I'm always open for more training, I just can't justify all that money when I can just buy training aides.

+1 to Scott and Riot.

Personally felt all the hours I spent hunting as a kid helped me more in Afg than any ranges Uncle Sam sent me to. Training is awesome but if your head isn't in the right place its useless.

I was in the military. Between that and the groundwork that my father laid when I was a litte guy, I feel like I have a strong enough foundation that I don't need to go drop a chunk of change on some uber-tactical course. If I want to, I can go into the woods/desert and set up my own little course, and do my own drills. Of course, I'm always open for more training, I just can't justify all that money when I can just buy training aides.

Got to go with your assessment there DR. For defending my home training on anything other than a mock up of my particular floor plan, with sight lines and cover and illumination identical is somewhat limited in value. For RW encounters falling back on the training we got from our rich Uncle Sam and being honest about the conditions and practice seems a logical way to go. Of course for DPSST cert you have to dance their dance once a year...but hey it's kinda fun

It's been my experience that those that hop on online forums to brag about their "training" are full of something that had to be flushed twice to go down.

That's usually what I would do as well. However, your attempted to insult me by calling me a spoon. I am proud of my service and would do it again for the brothers that were to my left and right. I'm sure that you'd have plenty of Fobbit stories to tell once we got back in the wire as well.

I've taken three handgun classes from the Firearms Academy of Seattle (located near Centralia). Marty Hayes and Kathy Jackson are great instructors, I highly recommend this facility. I'm hoping to get back there for some rifle and shotgun classes.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews