JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My son found one of these in excellent shape. Tried to find the owner to no avail so we are now the owner of Havalon knife. I have always used my trusty Buck 110 for field work, never needed much else, but this has got me curious. Anyone ever use them? If so, how many blades do you typically go through on a buck? Useful on an elk? Also, how safe are they in the field when changing blades? Speaking from zero experience, they almost seem like an accident waiting to happen but having spare sharp blade waiting seems like they could come very handy.

Watch your fingers.
Especially if it's cold and/or wet outside.
You won't need more than one blade, unless it snaps off. Use a small steel and hone it if the edge rolls over.

Opinel_Sharpening_steel_2000x.jpg

Havalon.... Truly a souless trifle for a throw away society. For the love of sweet baby Jesus, keep and cherish your Buck.

:rolleyes: The Hi-point of the knife world.
My Buck isn't going anywhere. Too many memories with that knife. Part of the reason I never bought a Havalon is because I am somewhat of a tree hugger and the idea throwing away blades rather than just touching up the one I'm using really bothered me.

Not saying you should throw out your Buck, but I am a firm believer in using the best tools available.
Try out that Havalon, you won't be disappointed!
Just show that Elk the Havalon and it will field dress itself!

Not saying you should throw out your Buck, but I am a firm believer in using the best tools available.
Try out that Havalon, you won't be disappointed!
Just show that Elk the Havalon and it will field dress itself!
If it will quarter and pack the elk out of the bottom of the steep #+!@& ravine it will surely die in, I'll buy two more

My son found one of these in excellent shape. Tried to find the owner to no avail so we are now the owner of Havalon knife. I have always used my trusty Buck 110 for field work, never needed much else, but this has got me curious. Anyone ever use them? If so, how many blades do you typically go through on a buck? Useful on an elk? Also, how safe are they in the field when changing blades? Speaking from zero experience, they almost seem like an accident waiting to happen but having spare sharp blade waiting seems like they could come very handy.
They work extremely well. Like have a scalpel in the field. They work well with skinning, and surprisingly well cutting tendons. If I had to apply a con, is that the smaller blade can get stuck easily (being razor sharp) in bone and Ive done it enough to know the blade is a bit thin for those moments. I've never broken one though. You'll likely never need an extra blade in the field, but they swap easily, just use a multi tool or pliers to pull the blade. Youll still want to carry a bone saw, as nothing replaces that tool for things like the neck, especially if your like me and are too impatient to cut all the tendons on a vertebrae to separate the head. I swap the blade after, so the next trip is ready to go. I don't know the color you found, but I like things in bright as F orange or similar, as it is a small knife and setting it down happens, being able to find it after might be hard with their camo one!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top