JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks...love the head-cam action!

I have been participating in the practical shooting sessions at RFGC run by Young Kim. I'm hoping at some point to graduate to IDPA. It's cool to watch you shoot at the bays I have become familiar with.

Is anybody shooting revolvers at these shoots?

Thanks...love the head-cam action!

I have been participating in the practical shooting sessions at RFGC run by Young Kim. I'm hoping at some point to graduate to IDPA. It's cool to watch you shoot at the bays I have become familiar with.

Is anybody shooting revolvers at these shoots?

Young is a cool guy. I've shot with him a few times at IDPA and at the club practice.

He has invited me to help show some of his shooters some basic USPSA tactics/101 at his events but unfortunately I have had conflicting commitments.

I'm the USPSA Match Director for Renton Fish and Game, and one of the most common misconceptions of new shooters wanting to get involved is thinking that they require a high level of mastered hand gun skill to shoot.

Trust me, there is nothing you can do to prepare for this, you just do it really.

If you are comfortable with a loaded handgun in your hand, and can put deliberate shots down range you can shoot IDPA/USPSA. You will never want to shoot static at a shooting range ever again.

Anyone here interested in getting involved please feel free to contact me and I'd be happy to get you set up with a Safety Check and mini competitive shooting 101 at my club.

BTW, yes, we get anywhere from 2-5 wheel gun shooters. This IDPA event we actually had quite a few wheel gun shooters.

Great video. What is the gun your shooting?

The gun is a modified CZ Dan Wesson PM7 in .45acp.

I was having ammo problems as I decided to load some hollow points that were given to me and it appears I loaded them too short so they were not feeding from slide lock.

Otherwise this gun has been pretty rock solid.

dw009.jpg

If you are comfortable with a loaded handgun in your hand, and can put deliberate shots down range you can shoot IDPA/USPSA. You will never want to shoot static at a shooting range ever again.

I have already discovered (from Young Kim's sessions) that shooting "static" no longer holds much appeal for me.

Young is a cool guy.

Yes he is. His willingness to share the fun (along with his SOs Randy and Christian) have changed forever the way I approach shooting.

Anyone here interested in getting involved please feel free to contact me and I'd be happy to get you set up with a Safety Check and mini competitive shooting 101 at my club.

I will email you for further details.

BTW, yes, we get anywhere from 2-5 wheel gun shooters. This IDPA event we actually had quite a few wheel gun shooters.

I'm in!

I have already discovered (from Young Kim's sessions) that shooting "static" no longer holds much appeal for me.

Yes he is. His willingness to share the fun (along with his SOs Randy and Christian) have changed forever the way I approach shooting.

I will email you for further details.

I'm in!

I'll do you one better, show up at Renton for our IDPA match, it's on July 18. Get there at 8:30 and take the new shooters orientation they do.

After that I'll squad with you, and coach you through the match. Share some of my tactics, thought process and point out any critical learning points, etc.

Bob,

Aristotle is a great guy and you'll do well at the match. So well that I may never see you again :s0114:

One of my goals for having the practice sessions was to have shooters like you go and experience action shooting and maybe even go and compete.

The RO/SO do a great job at Renton Fish and Game for IDPA and USPSA. You'll have a "blast" literally.

I'm glad you are taking Ari on his offer, afterall he is the IDPA Director.

Go and have fun!

For others thinking about going to IDPA or USPSA.... GO!
If you have a good sturdy holster and some extra magazines... your way ahead.

For rules and what to expect for your first IDPA match... check out:
<broken link removed>

IDPA is held every 3rd Saturday and USPSA is held every 4th Sunday at Renton Fish and Game Club www.rfgc.org

Get there early and introduce yourself. You'll be amazed how fast you'll be taken in and welcomed!

I'lk be back...

I don't know how well I may do - but I'll need the practice if I decide I'm able to actively compete. I can't thank you guys enough for sharing your time and skills.

This has really proven to be a priceless opportunity.

A gun that can't fire Hollow Points seems only good for sport not defense.

Not all guns are intended for defense. I own several guns that will go from an IPSC/IDPA match, straight back into my safe. These are pure game guns, not intended for defense.

I own 3 guns intended for defense. Very similar to what I shoot, but stock and reliable with the ammo I have for defensive shooting which is factory.

For gun games I like to experiment with my ammo and gun a lot. It's a hobby within a hobby that I enjoy doing. I would never do this sort of experimenting in a major match, this was only a monthly club match, which is where I do most of my tinkering/experimenting.

From Aristotle:
I'll squad with you, and coach you through the match. Share some of my tactics, thought process and point out any critical learning points, etc.

I attended my first IDPA match on Saturday (July 18th at RFGC) and immediately joined the RFGC and IDPA.

The hook has been set!

I didn't manage to connect with Aristotle and squad with him on that one, but buddied with another noob I met in Young Kim's sessions. We had a real good time and learned a lot.

I look forward to squadding with Aristotle one of these times, for sure.

From oldkim:
Get there early and introduce yourself. You'll be amazed how fast you'll be taken in and welcomed!

That could not have been more true!

Everyone was eager to help and make us welcome. I mentioned to the SOs in our squad that I could use all the coaching I could get, and they gave lots of useful pointers, as well as one "mulligan" - when I came to the line on a 12-round stage with only six rounds! I fired 'em off and went to reload and...oops! :s0114: :eek:

I'm guessing you only get one pass for being a noob - and hopefully I won't need any more "do-overs" from here on.

Thanks to the all the folks at RFGC whose hard work and dedication to the shooting sports have given guys like me the opportunity to experience "real" shooting!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top