JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's the best that I could find for that money.
Yes., similar to Pelican.
Good latches and hasps all the way around that you can zip-tie.

Pelican probably has a more impact resistant polymer shell.
SKB is decent and I think still made in USA.
I would not be surprised if Pelican made cases for other sellers to rebrand. The fact that Pelican now has different product lines makes it hard to tell who makes what. I am sure SG does not make their own cases, ditto with HF.

I bought a surprisingly solid Plato Weatherguard rifle case a few years ago. O-ring sealed, dust, air and water tight, it's not what l typically think of when l hear the name Plano.

Plano?

In my experience, Plano is lightweight and flimsy,
Mine too... that's why it was surprising.
I'm not selling the things, just commenting on the weight.

Last Edited:
I would not be surprised if Pelican made cases for other sellers to rebrand. The fact that Pelican now has different product lines makes it hard to tell who makes what. I am sure SG does not make their own cases, ditto with HF.
Reading their "About Us" blurb, it sounds like SKB does their own manufacturing.
But yes, there's a lot of re-branding going on.

I bought this one for $108
It was the best I could find in that price range.
Shipped a rifle to Sturgis and then back.
Everything came back unscathed.
I had them save the cardboard outer box for the return ship.

View attachment 1007006
Yeah, the SKB's look good. But costly. Looking at these two.

Reading their "About Us" blurb, it sounds like SKB does their own manufacturing.
But yes, there's a lot of re-branding going on.
Yes - SKB would probably make their own as they are in the business of making gun cases, SB & HF are not. I would be surprised if Sportman's Guide made anything they sell, I am sure they contract out anything that has their brand. Ditto with HF.

I have been looking at some cases like Pelican, Pelican Vault, SKB, and others. But they all seem very heavy to me. Around 16 pounds.
I need a fairly large one for a 20" barrel AR-10.
Hoping to find a good quality one that does not weigh a ton.
Also hoping for NOT made in China.
If you're willing to separate the upper from the lower on you AR's, your options will increase. Although heavy, I still like the Pelican v730, easy to drag with the wheels.

I've been getting into ICC, welded aluminum cases.

These are very lightight weight, solid, built in usa.
The initial cost is a bit up there, but they'll last a lifetime.

I've been getting into ICC, welded aluminum cases.

These are very lightight weight, solid, built in usa.
The initial cost is a bit up there, but they'll last a lifetime.
Nice, But I do not see a case in the size I need.

I have a bunch of cases! I have found nothing that beats Pelican for travel cases where I am not handling my own baggage! But they are heavy!
So heavy in fact that I also have three Plano hard cases I use for range trips. I need to keep my rifles separated and protected while sitting on the back seat of my truck, driving down a dirt road to the range.
I would not trust them for shipping or air travel, But the weight savings when I'm just going to the range is worth having them. DR

I just ran across this when looking at coolers:

Another USA made option.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany