JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I own two Pelican long cases - two older 1750 long gun cases, without wheels, bought in the mid to late 80s.

One I bought new, the other used sans foam. They have served me well, but they are not indestructible; early on Alaska Airlines broke one of the latches, but the equipment inside was fine and the case was still airtight.

I also have a number of other Pelican cases.

Last week I ordered a Pelican clone case from Sportsman's Guide - about the equivalent of a Pelican Vault 730 or so.

61xTLB83sIL._AC_SL1400_.jpg

I am given to understand the Pelican Vaults are lower quality, and so is this, but where the Pelican equivalents are about $150 or more, this one was $68 shipped: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/hq-issue-tactical-hard-rifle-case?a=2190588

I would have preferred OD green or black, but it is FDE. The plastic is thinner and not near as stiff as my 1750s - it is also about 10" shorter (40" vs 50" inside). It was made in China (labeled). But for $68 (Amazon sells the same case for $80) it is better than a Plano or MTM of similar cost, and I would not be surprised that it is a rebranded Pelican Vault - although its dimensions are different. Cheaper than the HF Pelican clones (which cost as much as the Pelican Vault cases) but I have not looked closely at the HF cases (I will next time I go there).

I would not bet on it being airtight despite it having a relief valve and gasket, but then a Plano is not even close to that and neither is the MTM:

914pa+G2ucL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I figure for $20 more the SG case is worth the extra $. I would buy more of these at this price.

Just an FYI.

I have both pelican and Apache (harbor freight) cases in the same size and it's obvious what HF was trying to copy. Many of the parts not only look similar but identical. I use them with plenty of confidence though I'm not convinced about how air/water tight Apache brand might be.

I have both pelican and Apache (harbor freight) cases in the same size and it's obvious what HF was trying to copy. Many of the parts not only look similar but identical. I use them with plenty of confidence though I'm not convinced about how air/water tight Apache brand might be.
I have a HF apache case I use for my Mavic drone. I accidentally left it outside while camping and it got drenched overnight. The interior stayed bone dry. No damage to the drone.

Only one example, of course, but as with any HF purchase, inspect it carefully in the store before you buy.

I have a HF apache case I use for my Mavic drone. I accidentally left it outside while camping and it got drenched overnight. The interior stayed bone dry. No damage to the drone.

Only one example, of course, but as with any HF purchase, inspect it carefully in the store before you buy.
I might test the case if I remove the foam first. Looking at the seal lip interface I have my doubts though. Make it thru a night of rain? Sure. Get pushed underwater for more than a few minutes? Not sure at all. I would have to test it in the bathtub.

I know from experience that Pelicans are air/water tight but not sure about this case at all. It is certainly better than other hard cases of roughly the same cost - they don't even come close and are usually not meant to be air/water tight at all.

Don't have any vaults. Do have a Storm, two Air cases, a 1750, a smaller 1720, 2 classic 11xx pistol cases and three 472 equipment cases. They are rock solid.
The Storm (iM3xxx) is lighter than the protector series by only a minute amount, and that minute difference brought me in under 50lbs with the airline.
Flew with an MTM once. Pure junk and IMO overly heavy. Made me think I was lugging a casket.
Plano rigid cases are even worse because they're not very durable, though my bow case is a rigid Plano.
Had the Boyt tactical equivalent to the 1770. Could not distinguish it from a Pelican, but it and the 1770 are just too darned heavy to use with the airlines.

but they are not indestructible
You may have already fixed it, but Pelican does have a lifetime warranty. I have quite a few Pelican cases and have worn the chit out of a few of them. Broken latches, flat spots on the wheels, broken axles, cracked tops, you name it. A few of the damages were probably because I was a bit rough on them :s0143: (although, like you, Alaska Airlines did have a hand in a couple :mad:). Every time an issue occurred, I contacted Pelican and all they wanted to know was my address is and sent out a replacement part no questions asked. Not sure what the other brands will do for you, but that's a big deal for me. Plus "Merica..:s0160:

I have a couple of the HF cases, and Have flown them to around 14,000+ feet ( Density Altitude equivalent) and not only did they vent properly, they remained sealed and dry! No idea how long they can be expected to last, but I'm not abusing my gear, so they should last longer then me!
I have had zero issues in the past with Pelican getting repairs or replacements, even when a Grizzly took the lid apart on one of my small 1010 cases, they simple had me send it in to them and sent me a brand new shiny to replace it! Pretty much the same deal with SKB, but other then the seals getting hard and failing, I have never had issues with them ether!

I only ever considered needing 1 long gun flight capable case, and for that reason, the Pelican 1750 series made the most sense. I used it a few times. I use regular soft sided range bags for any other transportation though.

I have a couple of Seahorse cases. I don't know their entire story, but they're solid, air/watertight, and cost about half of what a Pelican runs.
One of them came to me by way of a company who cut some custom foam for me, fitted it and sent me the whole works at a discount.

You may have already fixed it, but Pelican does have a lifetime warranty. I have quite a few Pelican cases and have worn the chit out of a few of them. Broken latches, flat spots on the wheels, broken axles, cracked tops, you name it. A few of the damages were probably because I was a bit rough on them :s0143: (although, like you, Alaska Airlines did have a hand in a couple :mad:). Every time an issue occurred, I contacted Pelican and all they wanted to know was my address is and sent out a replacement part no questions asked. Not sure what the other brands will do for you, but that's a big deal for me. Plus "Merica..:s0160:
The part that was broken was the reinforcement for the latch. IIRC, they would have to replace the whole lid.

I have been looking at some cases like Pelican, Pelican Vault, SKB, and others. But they all seem very heavy to me. Around 16 pounds.
I need a fairly large one for a 20" barrel AR-10.
Hoping to find a good quality one that does not weigh a ton.
Also hoping for NOT made in China.

I have been looking at some cases like Pelican, Pelican Vault, SKB, and others. But they all seem very heavy to me. Around 16 pounds.
I bought a surprisingly solid Plato Weatherguard rifle case a few years ago. O-ring sealed, dust, air and water tight, it's not what l typically think of when l hear the name Plano.

But it was HEAVY. Too heavy for a single rifle so l gave it to my son. It's perfect for transporting in a vehicle, but not so great when your carrying it, ammo, two or three more rifles, a sandwich, water bottles, range bag, *whew* and whatever other range-day accessories you've got to get to the firing line.

Short version is; yeah... they get heavy.

I bought this one for $108
It was the best I could find in that price range.
Shipped a rifle to Sturgis and then back.
Everything came back unscathed.
I had them save the cardboard outer box for the return ship.

Screen-Shot-08-07-21-at-10-25-AM.png

I bought a surprisingly solid Plato Weatherguard rifle case a few years ago. O-ring sealed, dust, air and water tight, it's not what l typically think of when l hear the name Plano.

But it was HEAVY. Too heavy for a single rifle so l gave it to my son. It's perfect for transporting in a vehicle, but not so great when your carrying it, ammo, two or three more rifles, a sandwich, water bottles, range bag, *whew* and whatever other range-day accessories you've got to get to the firing line.

Short version is; yeah... they get heavy.
Plano?

In my experience, Plano is lightweight and flimsy, then MTM is a bit better, then at the top is Pelican (at least the older ones), but Pelican seems to now have a number of different product lines and I have only every used the thick HD ones. Then there are the Pelican clones, like the SG one I just bought and HF.

Competition is good. Probably any hard case is better than any soft case.

I got some "waterproof" soft cases too. Three different kinds, four different brands - two of them are very similar, but have some differences. I will compare those in a different thread. My thoughts on all of these cases are mostly initial impressions except for the Pelicans, most of which I have had for some years (some for decades).

I bought this one for $108
It was the best I could find in that price range.
Shipped a rifle to Sturgis and then back.
Everything came back unscathed.
I had them save the cardboard outer box for the return ship.

View attachment 1007006
Looks very similar to Pelican

The Pelicans and clones are heavy, the SG clone I bought is lighter than the Pelican, but heavier than Plano or MTM. If you want protection, it just depends on how much protection you want. Want something to take to the range - then a soft case or light hard case might be fine. Want something you can ship a gun in or take on an airline, then you might want a Pelican.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top