Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

handgun boxes/locks

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by MIKEV311, Feb 25, 2012.

1. MIKEV311

MIKEV311 SALEM,OREGON Member

Ok so i have a question what does everybody do with there handgun boxes/gun locks once you get home? All my guns are stored in my safe so i dont need the boxes or locks and when i go shooting i use my range bag. The boxes are starting to pile up in my closet and the wife wants me to do something witht them. Is there anywhere i could donate the gun locks or do any of you have any creative ideas to use these extras i have laying around?

2. Dnaltrop

Dnaltrop Portland, Oregon Member

I look at them and wish that I had more of them to worry about.

One solution is to just keep the "boxtop" so to speak. Carefully saw the section with the serial number off, perforate and string together with wire, possibly attach a small envelope with your receipt to the back of the boxtop for your records.

3. DinhRose

DinhRose Austin, Texas (Ex-Pat of SE PDX) Active Member

I wear them like an ear necklace similar to soldiers in Vietnam era. :)
    All joking aside, i normally leave my locks in the box them came in. Guns are in the same so no need to use them but when i didn't have a safe i normally lock up all but one handgun and my shotgun out of habit.

4. mat33

mat33 Portland, OR Active Member

I once used the lock that came with a Mossberg in a pinch and the paper thin key broke off in the lock and I had to cut it off. Now I treat that garbage as souvenirs. I keep the lock, manuals, cleaning rods etc in the box and set aside in case I ever want to sell the gun.

5. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Keep 'em for resale

Goat Herder and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Stuff them in the garage - I really need to get rid of some.

7. redmud

redmud Colombia river Active Member

If you don't feel like selling them post them in the "free pass it forward" section of the parts and accesories

8. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'd say that untill YOU have more gun boxes than SHE has shoes and handbags that she shouldn't worry about them.
    No? Maybe not.....

Mike

ATCclears and (deleted member) like this.
  9. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

That's what I do, but I'm running out of room in my gun room and the safe is overfull so I have to use a file cabinet for a few handguns.

10. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Problem with that (for me) is that she has/carries ONE purse and has two pairs of shoes so I can't make any headway with that argument!

11. pioneer461

pioneer461 Columbia County, Oregon Active Member

I built a shelf in my "gun room" for the pistol boxes. I just can't seem to get rid of them. The cable locks are in a drawer in my workshop, unused.

12. AMT

AMT Vancouver, WA. Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I went to a DARE / Police Day at the local sheriff's office (near the Clark County Fairgrounds). They had boxes of gun locks that they were giving away to anyone who wanted them. They were encouraging people to take one for every gun they had in their homes. Maybe donate to them? I will second the "Pay it Forward" section too.