JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If a person got good at anodizing and was able to retain the owner/possessor of said serialized firearm during the process, no ffl would be needed. A proper anodizing wouldn't take more than a couple hours to do. Share a 6 pack and watch a ball game or race and enjoy the hobby.

I was thinking along this too. "charge" a t-bone steak (a chunk of filet mignon, tri-tip, etc.), a few cold beers, and part of an afternoon BBQ'ing and partaking in a couple beers (whiskey, soda pop, whatever). :)

I do not believe you are transferring anything just because you are getting work done. I have sent guns in for repair with zero paperwork. How is this different, I'll just continue being a criminal.

I do not believe you are transferring anything just because you are getting work done. I have sent guns in for repair with zero paperwork. How is this different, I'll just continue being a criminal.

Who were you sending them to? I've sent in guns for repair out of state as well as taken them to a gunsmith. In each case, there wasn't any 'transfer' paperwork, there were receipts and there were written scopes of work, etc. But in every case, I was sending them to an FFL, either a manufacturer or a gunsmith. It is still unclear if a non-licensed person can engage, legally, in the business of coating guns, etc., without an FFL license. I've done some research on this through the ATF docs and it appears the answer is a grey area.

Durakote is not a bad DYI finish and the one I would recommend especially after seeing all the rattle canned jobs that have made their way into my shop. We do not use Durakote in shop, Cerakote is the only spray finish we use simply because it is the best one available. Yes you can get your own equipment and do it yourself. You just need a blasting cabinet, an air compressor big enough to properly run it, a good (not Hobo Freight) HVLP gun, a way to run an Acetone bath, or other cleaner, a clean spray room and oven big enough to handle the parts... and trust me when I say the wife will only tolerate one time using the house oven lol

When you consider the time and money it costs to get set up for cerakote it is much cheaper to just pay someone to do it unless you are going to do it as a business. It's like I say, you either buy nice or buy twice lol

You can finish your own guns without an FFL but as soon as you start doing it for other people then you are engaging in the business of gunsmmithing and need an FFL. People will argue that they are not gunsmithing, only spraying or engraving but the ATF views an engraver, or a refinisher as gunsmiths, which requires a license and @Koda has the perfect link. I know there are people in the Vancouver/PDX area that advertise and do bluing, cerakoting and laser engraving without an FFL (and I've had several of their guns in my shop for fixing what they did lol)

I know this might be a little late for your project but Apex Anodizing has an FFL. Only problem is the min lot charge. Last I heard it was $90.

APEX - Apex Anodizing 503-235-9551 775-355-8121 Powder Coating Bright Dip Metal Coating serving Portland Oregon and Northern Sierra Nevada D1-4426 Boeing Approved

-Aaron

Does anyone know any business in the PDX/Vanc area that can accept a firearm for re-anodizing? Working on a project gun and would love to have the frame anodized instead of cerakoted.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top