JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Call a paintball gun place.

All of those guns are aluminum and they regularly place custom orders.

Got out of it years ago but can't imagine it's changed any...

The FFL part might be the kicker though depending on what you want and what they are willing to do.

Working on a project gun and would love to have the frame anodized instead of cerakoted.

It's not a fire arm if all the internals, slide, trigger group, etc are not there. Just a piece of metal isn't it? Seems funny to me no on e will do it. Well, unless they're rabid anti 2nd/firearm?

It's not a fire arm if all the internals, slide, trigger group, etc are not there. Just a piece of metal isn't it? Seems funny to me no on e will do it. Well, unless they're rabid anti 2nd/firearm?

Yeah, but the ATF defines the lower, with the serial number, as the firearm, regardless of the internals being in place. It would be an illegal transfer and could cost them their business, so I'm not surprised they won't take it since they don't have an FFL. I suppose you could get around it, legally, by 'selling' them the lower, doing the transfer, then 'buying' it back after the work is done. But who wants to go through that??

Let's ask these two if they can do anodizing: @NWCustomFirearms (Vancouver) and @Velzey (Estacada) Just in case they don't happen upon this thread on their own.

Im not certain it has to be limited to the lower, I think its whatever part has the serial number.... for example Ruger Mk 22lr pistols serialize the upper.

Im not certain it has to be limited to the lower, I think its whatever part has the serial number.... for example Ruger Mk 22lr pistols serialize the upper.

I think it depends on the gun, and for the Ruger Mark series, I think that's more the exception than the rule. I've bought and sold a number of lowers and uppers over the years - and the lowers have always had to go through and FFL - uppers never have. In fact, you can go on Ebay right now and find complete barreled uppers for Glocks, Berettas, 1911's, Rugers, etc. that you can buy and have shipped directly to you legally, no FFL involved.

When in doubt though, it's best to confer with the ATF if there is any uncertainty. No need to get yourself in trouble over something so simple :)

I think it depends on the gun, and for the Ruger Mark series, I think that's more the exception than the rule. I've bought and sold a number of lowers and uppers over the years - and the lowers have always had to go through and FFL - uppers never have. In fact, you can go on Ebay right now and find complete barreled uppers for Glocks, Berettas, 1911's, Rugers, etc. that you can buy and have shipped directly to you legally, no FFL involved.

When in doubt though, it's best to confer with the ATF if there is any uncertainty. No need to get yourself in trouble over something so simple :)

a serialized Ruger upper thru ebay with no FFL transfer?

a serialized Ruger upper thru ebay with no FFL transfer?

I've bought several Ruger "P" series uppers on Ebay, sold one there too. You won't find the Mark series uppers there though, since the ATF looks on that particular gun differently. But then, I've never tried to buy a separate upper or lower for a Mark pistol.

I think that's why Cerakoting has become so popular in recent years.
You can do it yourself, or, have a gunsmith like Velsey refinish it.

having a firearm anodized is legal its just finding someone with an FFL that can legally handle the serial numbered part of the firearm according to current laws.

Last thing anyone wants to do is get them selves in trouble with the law. :rolleyes:

It's not the coating, it's who's doing the coating.
As the gun owner, you can Cerakote it yourself, but Anodizing takes very special and expensive equipment.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top