JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For some reason every time I go shooting I always get tight groups but I'm not even trying all that hard I'm just trying to have fun not trying to get great groups but whenever I finish shooting my friends and family always point out that I get great groups when they look at my target.
This has been happening ever since I first started shooting.The first time I ever went shooting I was 13 years of age deep in the woods with my dad,he asked if I would like to fire his S&W Model 66 in .357 Magnum with a four inch barrel :cool: ,I of course chose to fire it.After the first cylinder my dad started calling me Wild Bill probably because I was hitting everything I guess, again I was just focusing on having fun,but I really impressed my dad that first time shooting and still impress him today.I even shot the cap off a bottled water at 100 feet.
Years later I went shooting with my dad's friend Charles and I impressed him as well.Am I just a natural with handguns or are there others on this forum as well like me who have out shot everyone they have gone shooting with without really trying with handguns?

Also recently I found out that I shoot handguns even better with my left hand but the weird thing is that was the first time I fired anything left handed :huh: ,maybe I've been secretly left handed my whole life but was forced to be right handed growing up. :confused:

Well I can shoot a handgun so well I use my left foot and close my eyes all the while jumping with my right leg and still manage to get 1/2" groups at 50 yards on a bad day. ;)

I've always wondered my my nickname was "johnny gut shot"

Well I can shoot a handgun so well I use my left foot and close my eyes all the while jumping with my right leg and still manage to get 1/2" groups at 50 yards on a bad day. ;)

I've always wondered my my nickname was "johnny gut shot"

Well then If we team up in the zombie Apocalypse we could be unstoppable.

close but no cigar mixing two test together
• EXTEND ARMS FORWARD AND FORM OPENING BETWEEN THE HANDS • LOOK AT DISTANT OBJECT THROUGH OPENING
• BRING HANDS TO FACE WHILE LOOKING AT OBJECT—OPENING WILL BE ALIGNED WITH THE DOMINANT EYE
this is one way

Well most times I get 6 of the 10 rounds through the same hole.... ya know.. it looks like I only shot 4 times. But that's
At 25 yards..... at 50 ft I can all but one in the same hole.
LOLOLOL!

I'm not that good, but since none of my friends grew up with firearms, I might as well be Jerry Miculek to them. My shooting is nothing to write home about, yet.

I took my son and his friend shooting when they were about 14 years old. His friend was a amazing shot with little or no experience! I suggest you buy a decent
1911 in 45 acp and start shooting competition. Matches are open to the public you do not have to be a member. You can learn a lot from some of the
top shooters at local clubs. IPPSC, Steel Plates, IDPA, Bullseye What might interest you. Check out Tri County Gun Club.

Well I'm a terrible shot. I don't practice much never learned the right way, don't take my time, and I anticipate the shot.

I'm given myself the nickname old broad side. Of the barn that is.

Some people just have that knack. I wish I was one of them.
That's why I bought a G17 and 10-17rd mags.

WOW Thats good info! I figured out I am VERY Left eye Dominant! SO now whats that mean for my shooting? Can I just modify my stance, Or should I start practicing Left Hand? I have a Ruger SR9 so Its ambidixious:)

My wife is naturally a good shot and skillful with firearms. Weird little form and everything when she started and still was quite impressive. Now shes been shooting for 5-6 years and is just a natural. I can pick up a gun for the first time and hit stuff pretty well and have been that way all my life. But my wife is different. Shes not even that interested in shooting but impresses me and others when we go shooting. Shes just good at it. Maybe she was reading my books while I wasnt looking? She naturally started double tapping like the 3rd time I took her shooting. She moves well and started that without any suggestion at all. Its like she was a gun fighter in a past life or something.lol. She has learned a lot over the years but started off with a running start. I wish she was more passionate about it. I have to beg her to go shooting with me. I wish I could get her to do some matches and stuff with me. Go show her off a little! Hopefully when we have kids they get her natural ability's... Im fairly proficient with firearms IMO but I was born into a military family and have been trained since I was 6 and got my first bb gun. I had to work for it a little I guess. Shes different than anyone Ive seen develop their skills for sure. Proud to have her as my partner. Im sure their are others like her out there.. Bubblegummers

I'd go get yourself calibrated. Find the nearest IPSC match and bet a "c" shooter you can whip him. Bet him a hundred bucks. Report back here about how awesome you are.

My cousin (full ride at OSU for 3 sports) fired his first weapon at age 40 or so. I'd been throwing and shooting clays for awhile, and just happened to break 50 of 50 that day. So did he (left-handed with a right-ejecting pump shotgun). Gave the Winchester back to me and asked why people find shooting so difficult. I wanted to kick him in the jimmy.

I'm cross dominant and an average shot overall. Slightly better when I practice. One eye or the other, it makes no difference except some weps (all of which I shoot right handed) won't let me use my sharper left eye over the buttstock. That's why I learned to use my right 80-90% of the time.

Bottom line, in my humble opinion, is that some people naturally get the whole idea of a consistent stance and grip, alignment of sights between the eye and the target, leading a moving object, flinch control, etc. Just like some people swing a tennis racquet, golf club or hammer, better than others with no practice whatsoever. I have to work at all of them, especially shooting.

Interestingly, most of the women I've introduced to shooting have done a LOT better than many of the guys that I thought would be at least average.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top