JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have two similar Rugers, a LC9 and a LC9s Pro. They share the same frame, but the old one is hammer fired with a Loong, but smooth trigger pull. It also has a visual, tactile, loaded chamber indicator and a external safety. My LC9s Pro is striker fired with a good short and easy trigger pull short reset. It has no external safety and it has a small inspection hole as a loaded chamber indicator, no tactile indicator. Slow fire they are both about as accurate for me, with a slight edge to the newer striker gun shooting faster. I expect I would get better with both with more practice. I keep the older LC9 as you can't get much in trade for them and it's just too good to let go for me. I can shoot a DOA pistol, DA revolver, Single action anything accurately. Keep the front sight on target all the way thru the trigger pull till it goes bang.

My main gun is a Beretta 92A1 with all of the Wilson Combat drop in parts. For a recent class I didn't read the instructor's person website which said "NO DOUBLE ACTION PISTOLS". It was not listed in the class description on his training company's website. At one point in the class he told me "some people actually shoot better with a DA/SA because it makes you take your time on your first shot." I've shot very well in all of my classes and start every drill with hammer down safety off. I'm usually one of the first people to get a shot off even with having to deal with the long double action trigger pull. I think all of my practice with my Beretta has really helped me for whenever I pick up any other pistols or revolvers.
As always the answer is training, not the type of action the gun has.

John Moses Browning, the most prolific gun designer in history, apparently gave up on striker fired guns over a hundred years ago. Don't know why, don't care. I'll just follow his lead.

The leader in cheaply made overpriced striker fired guns, won't tell you that you bought a gun essentially based on JMB's expired patents, and that they MADE MONEY ON THE ORIGINAL AUSTRIAN CONTRACT AT A HUNDRED BUCKS A GUN. Funny but this info was on the internet for a time, and then disappeared. Wonder how Gaston did that.

I'll stick with my hammer fired guns.

John Moses Browning, the most prolific gun designer in history, apparently gave up on striker fired guns over a hundred years ago. Don't know why, don't care. I'll just follow his lead.

The leader in cheaply made overpriced striker fired guns, won't tell you that you bought a gun essentially based on JMB's expired patents, and that they MADE MONEY ON THE ORIGINAL AUSTRIAN CONTRACT AT A HUNDRED BUCKS A GUN. Funny but this info was on the internet for a time, and then disappeared. Wonder how Gaston did that.

I'll stick with my hammer fired guns.

This always gets people going for some reason. "I" am a 1911 fanboy. Unlike many though I admit they are a VERY old design and there is far better now. To me it just does not matter, I love them. One example I often give. I am in the middle of trouble and don't have a gun. I can run into a shop and grab something. I would grab a Glock. If I had to grab a NIB gun and no time to test it I would not go for a 1911. I LOVE all mine but when I buy one new or used I will not bet my life on it until I test it well. If I had to grab a new gun and trust it A Glock would be my first choice in hand guns. This from a man who does not even own a Glock and has no intention of buying one.

This always gets people going for some reason. "I" am a 1911 fanboy. Unlike many though I admit they are a VERY old design and there is far better now. To me it just does not matter, I love them. One example I often give. I am in the middle of trouble and don't have a gun. I can run into a shop and grab something. I would grab a Glock. If I had to grab a NIB gun and no time to test it I would not go for a 1911. I LOVE all mine but when I buy one new or used I will not bet my life on it until I test it well. If I had to grab a new gun and trust it A Glock would be my first choice in hand guns. This from a man who does not even own a Glock and has no intention of buying one.

Wtf is better than a 1911?
Nothing really new hasn't been invented in a long time.
45acp, because shooting twice is just silly.

Bought my first striker-fire rig recently.
A Walther PPS-M2
I like the lack of a conventional safety....pull it out and it's ready to rock.
The trigger is supposed to be 6# and it does break OK.

SA and SA/DA do own one thing though....BBQ !
What fool would want to show off a Glock at a BBQ ?
You show off a 1911 at a BBQ, fool !

:D

I know your kidding!!

Wtf is better than a 1911?
Nothing really new hasn't been invented in a long time.
45acp, because shooting twice is just silly.
Like I said I will carry a 1911 if they invent Phasers we can carry. The design is very old though. Lot's of parts that are no longer needed in newer designs. As for caliber since I am a 1911 fan I am of course a .45 fan. This is what I normally carry unless dress does not allow it. Even though I love 1911's I would never want to trust my life to one I could not test first. Seen way way too many that did not work out of the box. They always can be made to work. The time to trust one is after it is proven not before. At least for me.

"I" am a 1911 fanboy... (but) if I had to grab a new gun and trust it A Glock would be my first choice in hand guns. This from a man who does not even own a Glock and has no intention of buying one.

The distinction you seem to be making between the subjectivity of your opinion (you prefer 1911s) and the objectivity of a fact (Glocks are generally more reliable than 1911s) is a pretty big deal. This distinction applies far and wide, outside this discussion, and far too few people understand it. Not to derail the topic; I just want to acknowledge that, and thank you for it.

As always the answer is training, not the type of action the gun has.

This was my hunch from the start.

Not all 'New' designs are striker fired guns, Walther PPX is hammered, Ruger LCP II is hammered (They did change the action from Double action to now Single action, and they have a trigger safety reminiscent of a Striker gun) There are more examples, I just don't own them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top