JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was almost onboard w the striker fired pistols. Do have and carry a XD mod2 .45 sub compact and I like the 1911 style grip safety. To me a striker fired pistol with a nice easy trigger pull with no safety on my nightstand in the dark does not seem safe to me. It would almost need to be holstered. My SIG and CZ da/sa can lay there bare or uncovered in a duffel bag without me worrying about an accidental diccharge when hot and in da mode. A 10lb long trigger pull seems safe to me as long as you know what to expect. If I was expecting bad things and had time ,the hammer would be back ready to rock in sa mode. Dont most law enforcement agency's require a safety on there striker fired pistols ? The wife does carry a ruger lcp but it has a very safe trigger like a da first pull. But what ever you train with, like many others have said, is your best bet.

That's what I use those cheap $10 mikes neoprene holsters for -just to cover the trigger.

My p226 and p09 have never failed to go bang. And that impresses me. My XDsc, only once in around 300 rounds but it weighs on my mind. It was cheap white box ammo but I may be reaching. Hasn't happened again. My 1911s are 99%. That's why I practice clearing jams. Many newer pistols are tested, and used, by PD or European police or military units, that to me, are good to go. But I agree always put many rounds the barrel to make dam sure, and learn your weapon.

My p226 and p09 have never failed to go bang. And that impresses me. My XDsc, only once in around 300 rounds but it weighs on my mind. It was cheap white box ammo but I may be reaching. Hasn't happened again. My 1911s are 99%. That's why I practice clearing jams. Many newer pistols are tested, and used, by PD or European police or military units, that to me, are good to go. But I agree always put many rounds the barrel to make dam sure, and learn your weapon.
An example that I have NEVER forgotten from long ago. Was in shop and LEO walks in. There to pick up new weapon. They hand him the box. When he is done with paper he loaded it with ammo from his belt, holstered new, dropped his duty piece into the box, and heads out the door. I was standing there with a look on my face that must have said a lot. The clerk just shrugged and said " you see everything in here".

I have mentioned before I am a 1911 fanboy big time. Unlike some of us though I'm quick to admit the design is old and there is better now. When people ask me why then I really have no answer. It just is. I often joke that if the house was on fire and I could only grab one gun it would be one of my 1911s.The one's I have now don't choke even with my rolled loads. If they ever did I couldn't carry them. It was why when young I gave up on Detonics. I fell in love with them and had a few. I couldn't ever get one to run 100% though. Close but it was always bothering me that now and then it choked for no reason.

I have mentioned before I am a 1911 fanboy big time. Unlike some of us though I'm quick to admit the design is old and there is better now. When people ask me why then I really have no answer. It just is. I often joke that if the house was on fire and I could only grab one gun it would be one of my 1911s.The one's I have now don't choke even with my rolled loads. If they ever did I couldn't carry them. It was why when young I gave up on Detonics. I fell in love with them and had a few. I couldn't ever get one to run 100% though. Close but it was always bothering me that now and then it choked for no reason.

I agree w the 1911s and my Kimber does run better than 99%. I like you reload so putting 1000 rounds through a pistol is not a big deal. Its fun and you work out the bugs. Wilson mags , stiffer wolf recoil spring, colt slide stop. I would trust it. I think they like to be shot a lot. But since I haven't reloaded for a while ive been shooting 9s to save some money. If my house was on fire and could only grab one I would go down with the ship. Tough choice....

I agree w the 1911s and my Kimber does run better than 99%. I like you reload so putting 1000 rounds through a pistol is not a big deal. Its fun and you work out the bugs. Wilson mags , stiffer wolf recoil spring, colt slide stop. I would trust it. I think they like to be shot a lot. But since I haven't reloaded for a while ive been shooting 9s to save some money. If my house was on fire and could only grab one I would go down with the ship. Tough choice....

One of the few real wins for us I have seen in my lifetime was them making it so we could order ammo by mail. It made things SOOOO much better. It was the lack of this that got me to try loading. Since I could not find a small .45 that worked I ended up with a few of the old Charter .44s. At that time all I could find for ammo was the old RNL 240 IIRC. I wanted something better for the way I was setting mine up so had to roll. I quite rolling my own for 9mm a long time ago. Have of course a bunch of stuff to do it again if need comes up. Just too lazy to spend the time when I can mail order the ammo so cheap. Buddy of mine turned me onto that Win. USA Forged a while back. It's $30 for 150 to my door price. Steel cased so I can leave the brass lay. All my 9s love it. The imported steel stuff is around a buck a box cheaper but for that buck I will buy the US made. To me it beats hell out of reloading the stuff. Wish they made it in .45!!!

I prefer hammers, mostly because it gives the option of DA/SA, I like having a long DA pull for safety, then a light, crisp SA pull after. Although I usually carry a SAO 1911.
Sticker fire guns can be DA/SA. My Canik TP9v2 does just that. And the decocker is so easy to use that I can shoot DA all day long to practice DA. Or just stick with SA.

Sort of. A DAO has double strike capability with another trigger pull. A striker fired gun is kind of at half cock and requires the slide to come out of batter to replace it to half cock.
DAO has double strike capability? Most of mine don't. My Sig 290rs does, hence the rs. Glocks don't. My Canik TP92v is DA/SA and does have restrike capability. So no real correlation there.

Ooh I missed the fight! Dang It Al Anyway! I would have voted striker or hammer. Really I have a little more striker fired guns and most I really like, but not all. I came to 1911's late and they are the cat's meow for me, except they are heavy. I have not shot my 45 Shield yet so I wonder how it will compare to my Officer's Model 1911. Strikers are easier for me to conceal. It makes me wonder why my Colt Mustang is not as accurate as my Kahr CW-380, but I still have a lot of Mustang Love.

Bought my first striker-fire rig recently.
A Walther PPS-M2
I like the lack of a conventional safety....pull it out and it's ready to rock.
The trigger is supposed to be 6# and it does break OK.

SA and SA/DA do own one thing though....BBQ !
What fool would want to show off a Glock at a BBQ ?
You show off a 1911 at a BBQ, fool !

:D

My main gun is a Beretta 92A1 with all of the Wilson Combat drop in parts. For a recent class I didn't read the instructor's person website which said "NO DOUBLE ACTION PISTOLS". It was not listed in the class description on his training company's website. At one point in the class he told me "some people actually shoot better with a DA/SA because it makes you take your time on your first shot." I've shot very well in all of my classes and start every drill with hammer down safety off. I'm usually one of the first people to get a shot off even with having to deal with the long double action trigger pull. I think all of my practice with my Beretta has really helped me for whenever I pick up any other pistols or revolvers.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top