JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know that some striker-fired pistols have a better trigger than some hammer-fired pistols, and that some have a lower bore axis. Besides that, the only general difference I know of is that most (but not all) striker-fired pistols are single-action only, meaning you have to rack in the event of a light primer strike, although that's a pretty rare occurrence.

What I'm looking for here is whether there's any sound rationale, in general, behind the current striker fad, or is it just personal preference?

Its more preference than anything to be honest. Some people striker fire since there tends to not be an external safety to mess with. That's just my perspective on it anyways.

You can't characterize a striker fired action as single action or double action. They're their own category and fall somewhere in between.

I hate shooting single action (HATED my M9 in the service) and i'm relegated to either striker fired OR double action pistols. Not sure what the issue is but i think it's an anticipation thing.

Hope this helps.

I was going to sort of say what was said above. With double/single action hammer fired, you tend to get a heavier double action, and lighter single action, then the striker fired action. I have both and shoot best which ever I'm training with more. Once the feel of the trigger is trained with, the other aspects of accuracy tend to be the same. Will say I can only shoot as fast and be as accurate as striker fired if I can stage the hammer fired trigger well. Some pistols I can or can't.

Grew up with DA/SA so that's my preference. SA is my second and DAO is third.

May buy a striker fired gun someday but it's not high on my list of wants even though I've shot a few and group fine with them.

Like most others said - It's personal.

Except striker fired guns suck:p

Grew up with DA/SA so that's my preference. SA is my second and DAO is third.

May buy a striker fired gun someday but it's not high on my list of wants even though I've shot a few and group fine with them.

Like most others said - It's personal.

Except striker fired guns suck:p
Kind of like Smoked Oysters isn't it?...:s0020:

Sorry...Rather Red than

Smilies%20-%20throw-up_zpsb1llnmsj.gif

;)

Last Edited:
There are a lot of practical advantages to striker fired guns. They provide a consistent and tolerable trigger pull on every round like an SA without the cocked hammer and resets that are very short compared to most DAO or DA/SA guns.

DAO guns are consistent, but often have much longer and heavier triggers. The Sig DAK trigger was atrocious.

DA/SA guns require more training to master and most people dont put enough rounds downrange. If you start this way, much like I did with Sigs and HKs, not a huge deal. It just seems like people are able to shorten the learning curve with a striker fired gun.

I hate to break it to you but we are well past the "fad" stage. They're here and here to stay. And if they're not the dominant platform on the market yet, it can't be too far off. There is a ton of sound rationalle behind their popularity...
  • Striker guns are lighter due to their polymer frames
  • Their frames are impervious to rust
  • They provide a consistent trigger pull for all shots
  • There are no external safety to mess with...not that some Mfgs haven't added ones anyway to satisfy consumers
  • They're generally cheaper than comparable steel guns
  • Faster learning curve due to consistent trigger pull and lack of external safeties
  • Extremely reliable. I'm not saying DA/SA guns aren't.

I hate to break it to you but we are well past the "fad" stage. They're here and here to stay. And if they're not the dominant platform on the market yet, it can't be too far off. There is a ton of sound rationalle behind their popularity...
  • Hi Points aren't lighter ;)
    [*]Their frames are impervious to rust
    [*]They provide a consistent trigger pull for all shots
    [*]There are no external safety to mess with...not that some Mfgs haven't added ones anyway to satisfy consumers
  • True on those.
    [*]They're generally cheaper than comparable steel guns
  • Glocks or Ruger P series? nope. the P series are cheaper by far and they're metal framed and hammer fired. Also, many of the Euro/Turkish/Asian clones of the Browning Hi Powers are much cheaper than Glocks.... Granted, the recent SW series are cheaper too.
    [*]Faster learning curve due to consistent trigger pull and lack of external safeties
  • depends on the model. Hi Points dont have the best trigger pulls and they have annoying slide lock/safety lever.
    [*]Extremely reliable. I'm not saying DA/SA guns aren't.
It all depends really. That said, the majority of service handguns are reliable and simple, because of the service requirements.

• There are no external safety to mess with...not that some Mfgs haven't added ones anyway to satisfy consumers
  • Faster learning curve due to consistent trigger pull and lack of external safeties

Lol. Seven out of those seven points have nothing at all to do with whether a pistol is striker fired or not.

I hope for your sake you shoot better than you advocate for something.

1. There are hammer fired guns with polymer frames.
2. See #1.
3. Not sure what this has to do with hammer vs striker fired.
4. Not inherently hammer vs strike fired.
5. Not a point I'd make, there are steel guns that are cheaper than the polymer.
6. See #4.
7. Not a hammer vs. striker fired issue, there are hammer fired guns that are boringly reliable as well.

Last Edited:

I have a few striker fired pistols [like my Lugers] that stray from most of your list. ;)

Remember striker fire guns have been around since the 1800's.

Last Edited:
Man, looks like some dinosaurs just arent willing to go extinct. And HiPoints being brought up? Really grasping at straws.

Why are the vast majority of government contracts going to striker fired guns if they arent everything stated above? There just aren't any viable hammer fired guns worth outfitting an agency with.

Really it boils down to personal preference. You can find a hammer or striker fired gun of just about any configuration. The luger above is a great example, and HK makes quite a few poly framed guns that are hammer fired.

A lot of agencies issue striker fired guns because they are in general simpler to use, Glocks are a great example. There is only one trigger pull to deal with, no manual safety, and they are reliable and accurate enough. It's much simpler to train large numbers of people to use a simple pistol rather than have to deal with learning to decock/engage a safety, then disengage when you want to fire, or deal with 2 different trigger pulls. Especially when not everyone has as large an interest in guns as we all probably do.

I prefer hammers, mostly because it gives the option of DA/SA, I like having a long DA pull for safety, then a light, crisp SA pull after. Although I usually carry a SAO 1911.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top