JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I started as a lowly diesel mech in the USCG, then came out and worked on tractors/equipment, working my way through community college, got an AS in equipment tech - which I didn't really need (they didn't teach me much I didn't already know), but I took a course in electronics which intrigued me; it seemed to me (and still does) that everybody and their dogs thinks they are a mech (even when it comes to tearing down a crawler or a combine) and I didn't want to be outside in weather like today for the rest of my life repairing some equipment in the mud and snow for flat rate having some shop/service manager tell me I was too slow.

I knew I could grasp electronics and many other people could not. So I went another two years and got an AS degree in EE, which got my foot in the door of hi-tech. It took another 5 years but that got my foot in the door of software and I saw where the money was - software not hardware, so I worked my way into writing software and been there for 30 years. Now I am a lead/senior engineer.

I don't have any real high math background - you don't really need it for most software engineering, especially business apps. I hired a math major last year and he had some good tech skills, but was difficult with people and is no longer on the team - which is too bad, we could have used his skills this year, but not at the cost of his personality.

Mostly I have taught myself what I know of software engineering. It takes some time, aptitude and a lot of perseverance, but I know more than one skilled s/w engineer who taught themselves.

The thing I really like, besides the problem solving, is always learning new things and improving my skills/knowledge.

I was an electronics tech in the navy. There was no school or even job code for what I was doing in submarines (weapons guidance systems test equipment), so I taught myself. US Steel was desperate for instrument techs when I got out of the navy. I had all the skills needed to be a journeyman, so I got OJT and taught myself the rest. After that, journeyman control technician was a breeze. Again, mostly self-taught. Then PG&E sold all its power plants and I needed a change of career lines. Became a metering technician, journeyman again, my fourth journeyman card, and all pretty much self taught and OJT. Then meters started going high tech and I had had 30 or so semester units of computer programming languages and concepts. I ended up becoming a senior systems administrator for a smart metering application. Every single step along the way was mostly self taught. My last side project was a redesign of the data verification modules in the data acquisition server application. I proposed that instead of hard triggers on the incoming data that we analyze it statistically, using a basic T-test and standard deviation. I couldn't adequately explain my idea to any of our analysts and programmers because none of them was a math major. They didn't understand statistics. I finally gave upon the project and retired.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top